• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question about Christian thoughts on death. Please answer.

Circle_One

A friend of mine is having an argument with someone about Christian thoughts on burial and cremation. This person claims that being cremated is a severe sin and goes against God because Jesus wasn't cremated when he died, whereas my friend thinks it's not a sin.

Can someone please enlighten me as to what the actual thoughts on burial and cremation are according to Christianity? Thank you ever so much.

Prima

Generally, Catholics consider cremation to be bad. Not necessarily a sin, but burial is preferable to cremation. Protestants don't usually care :D

Lemme double check that stuff for you, but I'm pretty sure.

Prima

Hee. Heehee. Please don't get too angry.

But the practice of cremating never entirely superseded what Cicero tells us (De Leg., II, xxii) was the older rite among the Roman people. Indeed the Cornelian gens, one of the most cultured in Rome, had, with the single exception of Sulla, never permitted the burning of their dead. By the fifth century of the Christian Era, owing in great part to the rapid progress of Christianity, the practice of cremation had entirely ceased. The Christians never burned their dead, but followed from earliest days the practice of the Semitic race and the personal example of their Divine Founder. It is recorded that in times of persecution many risked their lives to recover the bodies of martyrs for the holy rites of Christian burial. The pagans, to destroy faith in the resurrection of the body, often cast the corpses of martyred Christians into the flames, fondly believing thus to render impossible the resurrection of the body. What Christian faith has ever held in this regard is clearly put by the third-century writer Minucius Felix, in his dialogue "Octavius", refuting the assertion that cremation made this resurrection an impossibility: "Nor do we fear, as you suppose, any harm from the [mode of] sepulture, but we adhere to the old, and better, custom" ("Nec, ut creditis, ullum damnum sepulturae timemus sed veterem et meliorem consuetudinem humandi frequentamus" -- P.L., III, 362).

II. CHURCH LEGISLATION
(1) In the Middle Ages

In all the legislation of the Church the placing of the body in the earth or tomb was a part of Christian burial. In the acts of the Council of Braga (Hardouin, III, 352), in the year 563, while we read that bodies of the dead are by no means to be buried within the basilicas where rest the remains of Apostles and martyrs, we are told that they may be buried without the wall; and that if cities have long forbidden the interment of the dead within their walls, with much greater right should the reverence due the holy martyrs claim this privilege

In conclusion, it must be remembered that there is nothing directly opposed to any dogma of the Church in the practice of cremation, and that, if ever the leaders of this sinister movement so far control the governments of the world as to make this custom universal, it would not be a lapse in the faith confided to her were she obliged to conform.
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/04481c.htm

IN SUMMARY: it's not a sin, but is generally seen as more pagan than Catholic and is therefore kinda frowned upon.

As far as I can tell, Protestantism doesn't really have any preferance.

Circle_One

The pagans, to destroy faith in the resurrection of the body, often cast the corpses of martyred Christians into the flames, fondly believing thus to render impossible the resurrection of the body.
Too funny! Yeah, that's actually exactly what we do. I burned the bodies of my Christian neighbours last night, actually. Hahaha, Kidding all...

Why would you think I would be angry Prima? On the contrary, I thank you muchly for answering the question. My friend is doing a victory dance as we speak :jiggy:

Scott1

C1,
Current RCC teaching about cremation does not view it in such a negative fashion.

Cremation is permitted for RCatholics, provided the ashes are not scattered. As long as the ashes remain together and the member does not deny that they believe in the resurection of the body, it is an accepted practice.

Scott

Circle_One

Thank you very much Scott! My friend will be happy to hear this. He was being told that he wouldn't be accepted into the kingdom of heaven if he chose to be cremated, which is what he wants.

Prima

The pagan bit was kinda anger-inducing...it was very ignorant.

Current RCC teaching about cremation does not view it in such a negative fashion.
yes, like I said, it's not doctrinally wrong, but it's still frowned upon by many. (probably because it was doctrinally forbidden at one time?)

Snowbear

Nita Okhata
How is cremation any less "Christian" than the Jewish (or whatever) tradition of burial??

Where in the bible does it say dead people must be buried a certain traditional way? (sorry for my ignorance... I'm still new at this Christian stuff ;))

Scott1

Snowbear said:
Where in the bible does it say dead people must be buried a certain traditional way? (sorry for my ignorance... I'm still new at this Christian stuff ;))
Just FYI.... some of us Christians don't need to find a Bible verse to justify everything;) .... "Christian" burial is something that has changed with time, and Catholic teaching about the subject has changed with developing science and cultural traditions, provided they are not contrary to the Christian Tradition.

Peace in Christ,
Scott

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
There are no scriptures that denote how we are to be buried... only that we should be dead first! :D

Those who contend that the "burning" of the "corruptible" will somehow render us unressurectable have a poor understanding of the power of God. He is able to do ALL THINGS.

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
Cremation is forbidden for Orthodox Christians (the capital 'O' is intentional - I mean those in the Orthodox Church) except in extreme circumstances. For instance, we would allow the cremation of a body with some highly contagious disease but not simply because someone chooses it in preference to burial.
I don't believe that it is considered a sin as such (so it sounds like the older Roman Catholic practice) but we consider it to basically be disrespectful in that we are destroying the body God gave us. We certainly do not believe that those who are cremated lose their salvation automatically. So far as I am aware, our beliefs with regards to cremation and burial are the same as those of the early Christians - which is hardly surprising given just how conservative the Orthodox Church is.

James

may

why not be cremated, it just means that a person will go to dust a bit quicker thats all.:)

A

angellous_evangellous

Circle_One said:
A friend of mine is having an argument with someone about Christian thoughts on burial and cremation. This person claims that being cremated is a severe sin and goes against God because Jesus wasn't cremated when he died, whereas my friend thinks it's not a sin.

Can someone please enlighten me as to what the actual thoughts on burial and cremation are according to Christianity? Thank you ever so much.
The rationale that Jesus didn't do it, therefore it's a sin is more than a little absurd. For one thing, looking at Jesus as an example for how a Chrisitan is to practically think of death and burial for Jesus is irrelevant because Jesus was laid in a tomb and resurrected before any serious preparations could be made to his body for death. Jesus was going to undergo regular burial rites (spices, body wrapping, and so forth) which were dictated by the religious beliefs and customs of first century Judaism, which also most likely would have included other classical practices due to Greco-Roman influences.

Sure, we can look to Jesus as our primary example for life and morality, but we should stick to what he actually taught than to his every action for every situation in life. He promised us the Holy Spirit and gave us the rest of the Bible for a guide in life, and in a balance between the two, and with advise from other Christians, we can strive to live a holy life. That being said, IMO the church and culture work together to determine appropriate burial of bodies, and there are no biblical principles that dictate burial for the Christian - but burial rites that would cause exceptional pain for the family or disrespect for the body would be prohibited (eg, possibly an open casket when it should be closed or cannibalism rites after death, etc).

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
angellous_evangellous said:
...burial rites that would cause exceptional pain for the family or disrespect for the body would be prohibited (eg, possibly an open casket when it should be closed or cannibalism rites after death, etc).
The disrespect for the body idea is why we oppose cremation as I said. I find it strange, though, that you seem to find something wrong with open caskets. I've rarely seen an Orthodox funeral where it was closed until directly before burial, in the churchyard. The only time I have was for two small children who were killed in a traffic accident, and that was done to spare the family further grief.

James

Snowbear

Nita Okhata
Maybe it's a defense mechanism derived from being a paramedic as well as a rancher for so many years..... but I look at death like this: once a person (or loved animal for that matter) dies, what's left over ~ the body ~ is no longer that being. I see the dead body as just a shell that once contained the living, breathing, feeling being.... Other than our memories, whatever it was that made that person or animal is gone from our perception. What is done with the body/shell really doesn't matter (to me) any more. Some people think I'm pretty heartless for this view, but hey.... like I said, maybe it's just how I deal with the death that is part of my life and my job.

A

angellous_evangellous

IacobPersul said:
The disrespect for the body idea is why we oppose cremation as I said. I find it strange, though, that you seem to find something wrong with open caskets. I've rarely seen an Orthodox funeral where it was closed until directly before burial, in the churchyard. The only time I have was for two small children who were killed in a traffic accident, and that was done to spare the family further grief.

James
Yes, some people would think that creamation is disrespect for the human body, but I am thinking that to be sinful, "disrespect" needs to be more extreme than a widely acceptable social practice, like dismembering a body and putting parts on display before burial as spoils of war or something like that.

With regards to open casket, I mean that it is wrong to have an open casket when it should be closed to protect the family... like severe burn victims or folks who are turned to mush in car accidents.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
I can't personally understand the reason for burial, given as being out of respect for the body that God gave us; this is of course my own personal point of view, but I only see the human body as a medium for us to interact while 'alive' - the soul survives - and that is the importance.

Like I said that is only my opinion.:)