• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Queen of Sheba...

gnostic

The Lost One
In both Bible & Qur'an, the Queen of Sheba appeared in reference to King Solomon.

Do Muslims believe that the Queen or her people to be "Ishmaelite"?

Shermana

Heretic
You sure about that, Fouad?

Parallelism: The Story of Queen of Sheba - WikiIslam

It is interesting that it parallels Targum Sheni's account. I do find such parallels between the Quran and the various Jewish traditions to be fascinating at times.

He inspected the birds, and said: "What is the matter that I see not the hoopoe? Or is he among the absentees?" I will surely punish him with a severe torment, or slaughter him, unless he brings me a clear reason." But the hoopoe stayed not long, he (came up and) said: "I have grasped (the knowledge of a thing) which you have not grasped and I have come to you from Saba (Sheba) with true news." I found a woman ruling over them, and she has been given all things that could be possessed by any ruler of the earth, and she has a great throne." I found her and her people worshipping the sun instead of Allah, and Shaitan has made their deeds fair-seeming to them, and has barred them from (Allahs) Way, so they have no guidance," Al-La (this word has two interpretations) (A) (As Shaitan has barred them from Allahs Way) so that they do not worship (prostrate before) Allah, or (B) So that they may worship (prostrate before) Allah, Who brings to light what is hidden in the heavens and the earth, and knows what you conceal and what you reveal. (Tafsir At-Tabaree, Vol. 19, Page 149)Allah, La ilaha illa Huwa (none has the right to be worshipped but He), the Lord of the Supreme Throne! Sulaiman said: "We shall see whether you speak the truth or you are (one) of the liars." Go you with this letter of mine, and deliver it to them, then draw back from them, and see what (answer) they return." She said: "O chiefs! Verily! Here is delivered to me a noble letter,"Verily! It is from Sulaiman, and verily! It (reads): In the Name of Allah, the Most Beneficent, the Most Merciful;" Be you not exalted against me, but come to me as Muslims (true believers who submit to Allah with full submission) "She said: "O chiefs! Advise me in (this) case of mine. I decide no case till you are present with me." They said: "We have great strength, and great ability for war, but it is for you to command; so think over what you will command." She said: "Verily! Kings, when they enter a town (country), they despoil it, and make the most honourable amongst its people low. And thus they do." But verily! I am going to send him a present, and see with what (answer) the messengers return." So when (the messengers with the present) came to Sulaiman, he said: "Will you help me in wealth? What Allah has given me is better than that which He has given you! Nay, you rejoice in your gift!"(Then Sulaiman said to the chief of her messengers who brought the present): "Go back to them. We verily shall come to them with hosts that they cannot resist, and we shall drive them out from there in disgrace, and they will be abased. "He said: "O chiefs! Which of you can bring me her throne before they come to me surrendering themselves in obedience?" An Ifreet (strong) from the jinns said: "I will bring it to you before you rise from your place (council). And verily, I am indeed strong, and trustworthy for such work." One with whom was knowledge of the Scripture said: "I will bring it to you within the twinkling of an eye!" then when Sulaiman saw it placed before him, he said: "This is by the Grace of my Lord to test me whether I am grateful or ungrateful! And whoever is grateful, truly, his gratitude is for (the good of) his ownself, and whoever is ungrateful, (he is ungrateful only for the loss of his ownself). Certainly! My Lord is Rich (Free of all wants), Bountiful." He said: "Disguise her throne for her that we may see whether she will be guided (to recognise her throne), or she will be one of those not guided." So when she came, it was said (to her): "Is your throne like this?" She said: "(It is) as though it were the very same." And (Sulaiman said): "Knowledge was bestowed on us before her, and we were submitted to Allah (in Islam as Muslims before her)."And that which she used to worship besides Allah has prevented her (from Islam), for she was of a disbelieving people. It was said to her: "Enter As-Sarh" ((a glass surface with water underneath it) or a palace), but when she saw it, she thought it was a pool, and she (tucked up her clothes) uncovering her legs, Sulaiman said: "Verily, it is Sarh ((a glass surface with water underneath it) or a palace) paved smooth with slab of glass." She said: "My Lord! Verily, I have wronged myself, and I submit (in Islam, together with Sulaiman, to Allah, the Lord of the Alameen (mankind, jinns and all that exists)."

gnostic

The Lost One
Thank you, Shermana.

I should have provided the sources or quoted in the OP...though I didn't think I would have to, since I had assume that Muslims here would know of the Queen in Qur'an 27.

To FOuad:

My apologies for not quoting of where the Queen of Sheba is mentioned in the Qur'an. Like I said, I didn't think it was necessary to list where she appeared. So I should have did what Shermana did in my OP.

She and her people from Sheba or Saba worshipped the sun instead of Allah (27:23-27), and Solomon invited her over to his kingdom (27:28-31), and had a jinn bring her throne to his palace (27:38-39 and afterward). There is more, but shermana have already quoted from the Qur'an about the meeting between Solomon and the Queen of Sheba.

Unfortunately, it's too late to edit my OP, to include the chapter or relevant verses which she appeared in the Qur'an.

Last edited:

F0uad

I was replying on this part:

Not if Sheba is mentioned, almost all of the muslims knows that Sheba is mentioned.

Ps: wikislam is created by people who argue against Islam, its not a Islamic source.

Last edited:

gnostic

The Lost One
F0uad said:
I was replying on this part:

Quote:

Ok, F0uad.

It was a misunderstanding on my part. Sorry. :sorry1:

And yes, I wanted to know if the Queen was descendant of Ishmael or not.

f0uad said:
Not if Sheba is mentioned, almost all of the muslims knows that Sheba is mentioned.

Ps: wikislam is created by people who argue against Islam, its not a Islamic source.

If you're replying to me, f0uad, I wouldn't know. I've never visited wikislam site or read their pages.

The sources that I got from quran.com. Due to my recent debates with Muslim members about Solomon and about the ants, birds and jinns (in Qur'an 27), I knew of Solomon and the Queen of Sheba, so I thought it would be easy to move to new thread, but just relating only to the subject of Sheba's ancestry, and not about the birds or jinns.

F0uad

Ok, F0uad.

It was a misunderstanding on my part. Sorry. :sorry1:
No problem.

And yes, I wanted to know if the Queen was descendant of Ishmael or not.
Well there is no refrence in the Quran as i said earlier about this and i don't think so. It is a possibility if she spoke Arabic if she didnt i doubt it.

If you're replying to me, f0uad, I wouldn't know. I've never visited wikislam site or read their pages.
No i was not. If you have more questions regarding Suliman(pbuh) and Sheba please post them here or on the Dir i am willing to answer any question regarding them.