• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Q. Why does Islam degrade women by keeping them behind the veil?

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
A.

The status of women in Islam is often the target of attacks in the secular media. The ‘hijab' or the Islamic dress is cited by many as an example of the ‘subjugation' of women under Islamic law. Before we analyze the reasoning behind the religiously mandated ‘hijab', let us first study the status of women in societies before the advent of Islam

1. In the past women were degraded and used as objects of lust

The following examples from history amply illustrate the fact that the status of women in earlier civilizations was very low to the extent that they were denied basic human dignity:

a. Babylonian Civilization:

The women were degraded and were denied all rights under the Babylonian law. If a man murdered a woman, instead of him being punished, his wife was put to death.

b. Greek Civilization:

Greek Civilization is considered the most glorious of all ancient civilizations. Under this very ‘glorious' system, women were deprived of all rights and were looked down upon. In Greek mythology, an ‘imaginary woman' called ‘Pandora' is the root cause of misfortune of human beings. The Greeks considered women to be subhuman and inferior to men. Though chastity of women was precious, and women were held in high esteem, the Greeks were later overwhelmed by ego and sexual perversions. Prostitution became a regular practice amongst all classes of Greek society.

c. Roman Civilization:

When Roman Civilization was at the zenith of its ‘glory', a man even had the right to take the life of his wife. Prostitution and nudity were common amongst the Romans.

d. Egyptian Civilization:

The Egyptian considered women evil and as a sign of a devil.

e. Pre-Islamic Arabia:

Before Islam spread in Arabia, the Arabs looked down upon women and very often when a female child was born, she was buried alive.

2. Islam uplifted women and gave them equality and expects them to maintain their status.

Islam uplifted the status of women and granted them their just rights 1400 years ago. Islam expects women to maintain their status.

Hijab for men

People usually only discuss ‘hijab' in the context of women. However, in the Glorious Qur'an, Allah (swt) first mentions ‘hijab' for men before ‘hijab' for the women. The Qur'an mentions in Surah Noor:

"Say to the believing men that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty: that will make for greater purity for them: and Allah is well acquainted with all that they do."

[Al-Qur'an 24:30]

The moment a man looks at a woman and if any brazen or unashamed thought comes to his mind, he should lower his gaze.

Hijab for women.

The next verse of Surah Noor, says:

" And say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; that they should not display their beauty and ornaments except what (must ordinarily) appear thereof; that they should draw veils over their bosoms and not display their beauty except to their husbands, their fathers, their husbands' fathers, their sons..."

[Al-Qur'an 24:31]

3. Six criteria for Hijab.

According to Qur'an and Sunnah there are basically six criteria for observing hijab:

1. Extent:

The first criterion is the extent of the body that should be covered. This is different for men and women. The extent of covering obligatory on the male is to cover the body at least from the navel to the knees. For women, the extent of covering obligatory is to cover the complete body except the face and the hands upto the wrist. If they wish to, they can cover even these parts of the body. Some scholars of Islam insist that the face and the hands are part of the obligatory extent of ‘hijab'.

All the remaining five criteria are the same for men and women.

2. The clothes worn should be loose and should not reveal the figure.

3. The clothes worn should not be transparent such that one can see through them.

4. The clothes worn should not be so glamorous as to attract the opposite sex.

5. The clothes worn should not resemble that of the opposite sex.

6. The clothes worn should not resemble that of the unbelievers i.e. they should not wear clothes that are specifically identities or symbols of the unbelievers' religions.

4. Hijab includes conduct and behaviour among other things

Complete ‘hijab', besides the six criteria of clothing, also includes the moral conduct, behaviour, attitude and intention of the individual. A person only fulfilling the criteria of ‘hijab' of the clothes is observing ‘hijab' in a limited sense. ‘Hijab' of the clothes should be accompanied by ‘hijab' of the eyes, ‘hijab' of the heart, ‘hijab' of thought and ‘hijab' of intention. It also includes the way a person walks, the way a person talks, the way he behaves, etc.

5. Hijab prevents molestation

The reason why Hijab is prescribed for women is mentioned in the Qur'an in the following verses of Surah Al-Ahzab:

"O Prophet! Tell thy wives and daughters, and the believing women that they should cast their outer garments over their persons (when abroad); that is most convenient, that they should be known (as such) and not molested. And Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful."

[Al-Qur'an 33:59]

The Qur'an says that Hijab has been prescribed for the women so that they are recognized as modest women and this will also prevent them from being molested.

Source: http://www.whyislam.org/877/FAQ/q3.asp

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
That seems a reasonable explanation as regards womens modesty.

However,does it teach anywhere that men should not flaunt them selves to women so as not to encourage lust in women.
What troubles me in this teaching, is that it presuposes that men and women can not control their own desires and actions; so must take somewhat extreme avoiding action so as not to arouse one another, By covering them selves and avoiding eye contact.
Would not the teaching and insistance on self discipline be equally effective.
Christians would say, Temptation overcome tests ones faith, and is good in the sight of God.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
In college, I had a few male friends from Middle Eastern nations who were international students. I noticed that some of them didn't cope too well with how the women typically dress here. It stimulated them too much, distracted them too much, and confused them too much. Although they were in their late teens and early twenties, they behaved in that one regard much like younger males who have not yet learned how to deal with the sight of a beautiful woman without going nuts. I came to believe that people in the West learn how to control their feelings about seeing members of the other sex in revealing clothing, while people from the Middle East are not normally challenged to do so, and so they don't.

AbuQuteiba

Sunstone said:
In college, I had a few male friends from Middle Eastern nations who were international students. I noticed that some of them didn't cope too well with how the women typically dress here. It stimulated them too much, distracted them too much, and confused them too much. Although they were in their late teens and early twenties, they behaved in that one regard much like younger males who have not yet learned how to deal with the sight of a beautiful woman without going nuts. I came to believe that people in the West learn how to control their feelings about seeing members of the other sex in revealing clothing, while people from the Middle East are not normally challenged to do so, and so they don't.

What you say truly amazes me. Yes, i have to admit, as a person from the middle east (and as a muslim in general), i do get disracted by beautiful un-covered women. As i am man. Men and women have been created to be physically attracted to each other. To me, the way people from the U.S. and Europe can look at beautiful almost half-naked women walking around and not get sexually aroused is truly disgusting. I'm sorry, but as people from the U.S. i truly feel that you have no say in this what so ever, since your counrty has one of the highest crime rates in the world (rape, molestation etc..). Islam is a religion of truth, it teaches how to apply being modest. You can't put food in front of a hungry man and tell him not to eat. (I'de like to reply to what gracie said as well, but i have to go. I'll do it later inshallah).

Random

There was extensive discussion in the General Religious debates forum about the Hijab and the question of Islamic women being oppressed or not, but it appears the thread was deleted. Oh well...let's hope this one doesn't degenerate into a slagging match.

Once again, I state that men have no final say in matters pertaining to a woman's personage, what she says, does or wears.

The headdress, or Hijab, should be worn only if the Muslim woman chooses to observe the tradition, it should not be mandatory and under no circumstances should a woman be forced or coerced into wearing it under threat of retribution.

AbuQuteiba

Godlike said:
There was extensive discussion in the General Religious debates forum about the Hijab and the question of Islamic women being oppressed or not, but it appears the thread was deleted. Oh well...let's hope this one doesn't degenerate into a slagging match.

Once again, I state that men have no final say in matters pertaining to a woman's personage, what she says, does or wears.

The headdress, or Hijab, should be worn only if the Muslim woman chooses to observe the tradition, it should not be mandatory and under no circumstances should a woman be forced or coerced into wearing it under threat of retribution.

This might be the way YOU'D like things to be, but its not. Man have NO FINAL say in matters pertaining to a woman's personage, what she says, does or wears. This statement you made is correct. In Islam, it is Allah (SWT) who has the first and final say in matters pertaining to what both women, and men say, do, and wear.

The Hijab is something Allah (SWT) has ordered women to wear. It is a MUST in Islam that women wear the hijab for many benefitial reasons (mentioned many times in other posts). To tell you the truth, its always women (Muslim, or non-muslim) who want to do whatever they want, whenever they want, that make these accusation's towards Islam. A woman who WEARS the hijab and UNDERSTANDS its importance, would never say these things. Allah (SWT) has given women beauty, in return he has asked of them to cover that beauty. As he has given men physical strength, the prophet (PBUH) has said, that a truly strong man, is not one who can out-wrestle other men, but who can hold his anger in times of rage. So a man has been given physical strength, and has been asked to reserve it.

Its funny, Islam has asked more of men that it has of women. But you never see men accusing Islam of things such as, why MUST a man give a woman a dowry in order to get married, but she does not? Why are men ordered to acquire a home, food (and many other things) for his wife, yet a woman does not have to acquire these things (nor help the man in doing so)? Why MUST a man go to war when needed, but women do not? Why MUST a man pray in the mosque, but women do not? And many many other things.

Allah (SWT) is most wise, and all knowing. If he orders women to wear the hijab, then women should know that he has done so for a reason. Humans are ignorant, and arrogant. They always think they know whats best for them, but they don't.

It seems to me that the only thing Islam degrades are people who don't want to do what they're told.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I just have one comment. I know very little about Islam, but it seems to me that it is only possible to degrade someone if that person feels degraded. Obviously, there are situations where Muslim women are forced to cover themselves so completely and where the consequences for showing a glimpse of skin at the ankle, for instances, are so harsh that I would consider them degrading. But most of the Muslim women I have heard speak about wearing a head covering in public do not feel the slightest bit degraded by this custom. Here in the U.S. particularly, I've heard non-Muslims make comments to the effect that since women are not required by law to wear a head-covering, they obviously must be being forced to do so by their husbands. I suspect that a lot of them would wish to continue to cover their heads regardless of what their husbands might think. As long as they are not being forced to comply with a belief they do not accept as valid, I don't believe they are being degraded.

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Come on guys. While we can comment in here and discuss, we don't have to debate in here. We just spread thoughts and we learn more about each other.

I was so glad seeing you guys participating in this thread and most of your posts guys were so great and made me feel happy that there are people overthere who can see that just because other people chose somthing which you may not like to see them doing it, so that doesn't mean they are not happy with it or they are forced to do it.

Thank you all for passing by. :)

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Please guys this thread is about Islam and the veil of women, but not about specific countries or rape rate, etc. Try to look at the bigger picture.

A new thread in the debating forum about rape or any reletaed subject you would like to debate is lot much aperciated.

Thank you. :)

robtex

Veteran Member
MOD ADVISORY: PLEASE REFRAIN FROM DEBATE ON THIS THEAD. IF YOU FIND AN IDEA YOU WANT TO DEBATE PLEASE TAKE YOUR IDEA AND POST IT AS A NEW THREAD IN THE DEBATE SECTION. I AM ASKING COMPLIANCE OF RULE 9 WHICH STATES:

9.) We will not tolerate any debate about a religion in its Individual Religion forum, NO OUTSIDE DEBATE OR VIEW POINTS ARE ALLOWED. This rule is strictly enforced. If you wish to debate a certain religion the proper place for that is in the Debates sections.

footnote:
http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/faq.php?faq=vb_faq#faq_new_faq_item

DeepShadow

White Crow
I don't think this is an issue of degradation. As in many societies, it seems women in Islamic society are deemed powerful, and that power has to be insulated, like a high voltage cable. In some ancient societies, women were kept out of sight of the moon or off the ground during pregnancy, for the very same reason.

I hope I'm not insulting anyone by comparing this practice to ancient customs. I have the deepest respect for these practices, and even hold to similar "high voltage" customs in other areas myself.