• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Push 1 for English

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Since the US has no official language I guess I can no longer feel indignant about having to push 1 for English.

images
9ff42750d2aff82aacb0f9adec2ea27e.jpg
polls_press_1_for_english_011_3541_536705_answer_1_xlarge.jpeg

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I have never understood what the big deal is. In a land with no official language, you have to press a button to get English. What exactly is the problem?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I have never understood what the big deal is. In a land with no official language, you have to press a button to get English. What exactly is the problem?
We really do have an official language, even if there's no document stating it.
It's useful to have a single language.....
- A single interpretation of laws (Translations are never perfect.)
- Efficiency (No interpreters needed.)
- Social integration
- One less level for me to endure on those ****** ******* ******** phone menu systems.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Do you ever act like you dont know what customer service is saying when they speak English then too? lol

Nah. I'm much more apt to pretend I did understand something and then just hope for the best.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Canada, much of Europe, and much of Asia seem to be doing just fine with their multi-lingual approaches. Americans are just lazy.
Sure, sure....countries can get by with a multiple of goofball languages.
But there's a lot to be said for being lazy.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
The USA has no official language, so why is this a problem?
Large areas were Spanish speaking, some were french - and of course the myriad native languages.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
They need only add English to their repertoire for things to go swimmingly....& most of'm did.

It would be more appropriate for many states to learn Spanish. But yes, if all Chinese learn English it will make communication easier, but people still often prefer their native tongue.

Jumi

We have people in my country wanting the same thing for our language. Most probably they also want everyone to be white heterosexual Christians as well.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
What is the percentage of English speaking people in US? 95%, 90%. Language question should be asked only when someone wants it. There will be no need to push one more time. Oh yes, we have 21 National languages even if you do not count Sanskrit. And languages are something in India we do not trifle with. An Indian currency note with mention of recognized languages in its time (some have been added recently)"

5_indian_currency8.jpg

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It would be more appropriate for many states to learn Spanish. But yes, if all Chinese learn English it will make communication easier, but people still often prefer their native tongue.
They only need to learn Spanish is to communicate with people who don't learn English.
But there's a better way.....
It's easier & more efficient for the latter to simply learn the overwhelmingly dominant language.

I notice something odd in Americastanians.
Progressives urge multi-cultural tolerance by not expecting immigrants to learn English.
We should learn their language, & provide interpreters when they're in need (eg, court).
But progressives urge that when we're abroad, we should learn the local language.
Tis multi-culturally backward to expect them to accommodate our language.

There's nothing wrong with having a plethora of languages here.
The only problem is when limit their opportunities by never learning English.
The worst are the Brits.
They use normal words in odd ways.....
- "Boot" for trunk
- "Telly" for TV
- "Lift" for elevator
- "Chemist" for pharmacist
- "Lorry" for truck
It's no wonder that when @oldbadger visited here, he was misunderstood & deported in chains!

Last edited: