• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Public Schools Vs Private should we really call them schools?

What School is better?

• Total voters

Pure-Truth

Violet I totally agree with your assessment. SURPRISE! :D

I attended both public and private schools growing up. The two private schools I attended were supported by religious organizations. One was TERRIBLE and one was good.

I attended 10 different public schools in four states and one foreign country. Some were good and some were bad. NONE of them were great. A couple of them were terrible.

My children attended public schools. I sold a house and moved at one point just to get them out of a terrible school district. The one we moved to was MUCH better. IN fact, I would say that particular public school district offered them a very well balanced and comprehensive education.

My two sons attended a military school their last year of high school. This was actually the best of all the scenarios I've mentioned so far. However, one son totally grooved on that discipline and it totally changed the direction and philosophy of his life, and the other son rebelled (but he was already rebelling so who knows if the school made this any worse?).

I bring up the military school because it's an example of a type of school that is private but not funded by a religious institution.

The question in the OP is too generalized. ALL schools, both public and private, push their own particular agenda down the kids' and parents' throats. So - pick the agenda that you think is the least destructive to your kid and then get ready to do a lot of extra curricular damage containment every evening.

Hi Kathryn,

Maybe you missed a critical point, so here it is again:- The point was, your children will be abused by the provision of information that is in fact wrong by whatever Private School, and yes I don't exclude NON religious Institutions and or Universities setup to satisfy agendas that you are in full knowledge of..

Given a choice of one Public or any other Child Abusing Private school?

Cheers,

Pete..

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
So are we then assuming that ALL private schools participate in CHILD ABUSE by providing false and misleading information?

Pure-Truth

Not all private schools are religious schools. Not all religious private schools are fundamentalist schools.

There are excellent private schools and excellent public schools, and deplorable schools of both kinds, too.

The question is too broad.
It is not to broad, I have in my first post made reference to Private schools who must withhold information that will have them close down should certain information become available, Information that I have implied includes providing the tools for one to sort out the truth from deception..

Now, even though you have been made aware of this, are you still OK with your kids attending such a Private school?

Or do you feel my Poll doesn't point to a massive viral problem, and in particular to a corrupted dishonesty that is running rife, and thereby Private Schools with Agendas and or other intentions are not hindering human development..

Cheers,

Pete..

Humanistheart

Not all private schools are religious schools. Not all religious private schools are fundamentalist schools.

There are excellent private schools and excellent public schools, and deplorable schools of both kinds, too.

The question is too broad.

I agree.

Pure-Truth

The OP is completely backwards, private schools pass on more information than public schools. For example, the evolution vs creation debate, the public schools ignore it but the private schools for the most part teach both sides. Also public schools ignore any references to God or religions, private schools for the most part do not.

So I take it, you are all for Child Abuse, as in feeding them any information even if you know facts have been twisted and perhaps even by your very own reasoning and doing, just as long they end up supporting your views 100% and so I am assuming you are not worried about the fact that your children may never be provided with a tool to sort out fact from fiction..
or are you?

lets see?
But first let me refer to a fact, a fact that should be known by all posters,
And that is with less daylight as in winter a body of water if it experiences long enough periods without light should be referred to a body of ice, so lets consider a body of Ice that has as yet never seen any light whatsoever..

Now,

With reference to Genesis Chapter "one" verse "one" through to verse "three" inclusive..
let me quote,
http://www.christiananswers.net/bible/gen1.html said:
Chapter 1

1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep.
And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

3 And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.

Is the information to you, based strictly upon facts or are their problems with the statements?

There can only be two responses, A view that truth is not being fully provided
Or some will respond with a self deceptive attitude, having said that,
I am confident that here, I have an example of some one who will defend
a statement that is obviously not the truth, and whats more will apply even more self deception,
to which I charge is the very tool provided by these Private Schools!

Now lets get real!

Do you want your locality and or children to carry on this self deceit?

Then I say don't support and or worse defend deception! don't be part of this virus that supports so much immorality!

Cheers,

Pete..

Humanistheart

, private schools pass on more information than public schools. For example, the evolution vs creation debate, the public schools ignore it but the private schools for the most part teach both sides. Also public schools ignore any references to God or religions, private schools for the most part do not.

This subject was not touched on at the private catholic high school I attended. Nor was a two sided debate or information day on abortion or gay rights, however manditory bible reading was.

I do believe the OP was too broad. Narrow it down to public schools vs christian private schools than I'd vote for the public school. However there are a number, a regretably small number but some none the less, of private schools without a religious influence that do quite well, more so than most public schools.

Right now I'd say funding and location have a bigger impact on school quality than anything else.

ragordon168

So I take it, you are all for Child Abuse, as in feeding them any information even if you know facts have been twisted and perhaps even by your very own reasoning and doing, just as long they end up supporting your views 100% and so I am assuming you are not worried about the fact that your children may never be provided with a tool to sort out fact from fiction..
or are you?

lets see?
And that is with less daylight as in winter a body of water if it experiences long enough periods without light should be referred to a body of ice, so lets consider a body of Ice that has as yet never seen any light whatsoever..

Now,

With reference to Genesis Chapter "one" verse "one" through to verse "three" inclusive..
let me quote,

Is the information to you, based strictly upon facts or are their problems with the statements?

a statement that is obviously not the truth, and whats more will apply even more self deception,

Now lets get real!

Then I say don't support and or worse defend deception! don't be part of this virus that supports so much immorality!

Cheers,

Pete..

its not light though its heat. the bible doesnt mention 'let there be warmth' so that argument doesnt really work.

Pure-Truth

So are we then assuming that ALL private schools participate in CHILD ABUSE by providing false and misleading information?
If you want to assume, rather than consider facts, then yes by all means, do so,

But lets say you had a choice of a religious school known to drum in their religious views into their students, but that's not all! as they also provide a tool that not only restricts your children unable to easily see facts and or truth as it should be seen, but when a fact contradicts information provided by this school the factual information is rehashed with a whole lot of self deception..

Now would you choose a public school, which must comply to a strict rule it must only supply facts and whats more, must also provide a tool to the students so that they each are able to sort out fact from fiction..

What would be your choice?
Cheers,

Pete..

Last edited:

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
or are you?
Again, generalization of private schools.

lets see?

Now,

let me quote,
And this has to do with all Private schools and all Public schools how?

Generalization.

Now lets get real!
Yes, lets get real.

:facepalm:

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
If you want to assume, rather than consider facts, then yes by all means, do so,

The facts are that you included non-religious Private schools in your OP.

But lets say you had a choice of a religious school known to drum in their religious views into their students, but that's not all! as they also provide a tool that not only restricts your children unable to easily see facts and or truth as it should be seen, but when a fact contradicts information provided by this school the factual information is rehashed with a whole lot of self deception..

Now would you choose a public school, which must comply to a strict rule it must only supply facts and whats more, must also provide a tool to the students so that they eac are able to sort out fact from fiction..

What would be your choice?
Cheers,

Pete..
Not being religious, I would not choose to send my children to a religious school.
However, if I were financially able, I would send them to a good private school that met my criteria.

Pure-Truth

its not light though its heat. the bible doesn't mention 'let there be warmth' so that argument doesn't really work.

WOW! Are you serious!???:eek:

Sadly, :facepalm: I have to advise you - If you don't learn a few more facts about our environment, you may end up being a danger not only to your self but to any one close-by and or nearby..

2~Duh~Loo!

Ozzie

I went to a public selective school over a private option. Apart from the extra fees for the promise of similar education, the main turnoff was compulsory Chapel every week. So I think the linking of quality education with religion is a mistake. My 12 year old mind construed the issue as a problem. How is it acceptable that a concentration of wealth under a religious banner be a state sanctioned/funded facilitator of an education superior to that offered by the state?

Last edited:

ragordon168

The facts are that you included non-religious Private schools in your OP.

Not being religious, I would not choose to send my children to a religious school.
However, if I were financially able, I would send them to a good private school that met my criteria.

if i was living in the US i would aswell.

it seems (to me) the system is set up to stop the poor getting to the best universities and your best bet of getting your children to an ivy league college is sending them to a posh private school.

thankfully the UK isnt quite as bad. i went to a 'crap' school and still made it into one of the best engineering universities in the country.

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
I went to both private and public schools while growing up.

The differences between them?

Absolutely nothing, except 1 class stream was set aside for R.E. (religious Education) - which was 4 hrs a week of R.E. and 1 hr of P.E. every week. Every other class - maths, physics, english etc etc - was 4hrs per week.

I could have easily, (and most willingly :p) taken out R.E. and done something else instead. I don't know how it is in the U.S. but although it was a private school, they still had to teach subjects according to the curriculum set by the govt. This meant that biology was biology, and evolution was taught. That in studying the earth, the formation of the earth was taught - not creationism. This was all covered in R.E.

R.E. was also not just Christian flavours. There was some (although the "lite" versions) coverage of other world religions, and one particular teacher allowed us to debate between them, and include our personal beliefs. He even showed us how to do Tarot readings and meditations. Most of it though was Christian-flavoured stuff. Death, Grief, and dying (fair bit of psychology in that segment actually), Major Christian Holidays (Christmas, Easter, Lent, etc).

What did I really miss out on though? 1 class stream of something that I may have found more useful. Hardly a big impact tbh.