• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Public breastfeeding and being discreet

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
This thread isn't so much about whether or not mother's should breast feed in public but is more meant to focus on the idea that breastfeeding mothers should be discreet and cover up.

I personally disagree with this sentiment and feel that a mother should be able to breast feed in whatever manner is most comfortable for her and her child, whether that means using a shawl or blanket to cover up or whether it means you just whip it out and let the child latch on I don't think it should be an issue either way, nor should the mother feel like she has to hide herself away. This should be especially true when you consider that many babies hate being covered and when you consider that, at least in the summer, even if the baby is ok with being covered it can get pretty hot and muggy under those things.

I've heard the argument that being discreet is about respecting those around you who may not want to see a flash of boob but my response to that is what about respect for a mother and her child? It would be far easier and simpler for those who have a problem with it to look away and go about their business than it would be to force a mother to interupt feeding or interupt her time with friends or family to hide herself away for the sake of someone else's comfort.

Anyway, those are my thoughts on the matter. What do you guys think about whether or not discreetness is a requirment when it comes to public breastfeeding?

Skwim

Veteran Member
Gotta agree with you.
icon14.gif
That said, In the good ol' USA some people get their nose bent out of shape when they see a four-year-old go swimming topless. Go figure.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I think many people strictly adhere to social convention, and expect others to do so as well, until they find doing so is a personal inconvenience.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
This thread isn't so much about whether or not mother's should breast feed in public but is more meant to focus on the idea that breastfeeding mothers should be discreet and cover up.

I personally disagree with this sentiment and feel that a mother should be able to breast feed in whatever manner is most comfortable for her and her child, whether that means using a shawl or blanket to cover up or whether it means you just whip it out and let the child latch on I don't think it should be an issue either way, nor should the mother feel like she has to hide herself away. This should be especially true when you consider that many babies hate being covered and when you consider that, at least in the summer, even if the baby is ok with being covered it can get pretty hot and muggy under those things.

Some babies like being covered, some don't. My daughter nursed with no issues on whether a blanket or shirt was covering her. My son would push that shirt up to my neck because he hated being covered regardless. Was pretty interesting, to say the least. LOL

Regardless, there was always a sour apple wherever I went even if they had to investigate on whether or not I was breastfeeding.

I've heard the argument that being discreet is about respecting those around you who may not want to see a flash of boob but my response to that is what about respect for a mother and her child? It would be far easier and simpler for those who have a problem with it to look away and go about their business than it would be to force a mother to interupt feeding or interupt her time with friends or family to hide herself away for the sake of someone else's comfort.

People in these parts freak out at the sight of a female nipple, but the fleshy part of a breast tends not to elicit the same outrage. Anything bearing cleavage, a bra-top shirt, or swimsuits many times will reveal more of the overall breast than breastfeeding does. But the minute a nipple is revealed, the breast becomes sexualized and intimate to what is seen to be private for the woman and her partner.

It's why people tend to get squeamish around breastfeeding. Social convention has taught them that a woman's nipple is intimately sexualized, and indecent when exposed.

Anyway, those are my thoughts on the matter. What do you guys think about whether or not discreetness is a requirment when it comes to public breastfeeding?

I did it anyway. I even breastfed in the baby room at my mothers church, where there were other kids present, and where a dad saw what I was doing and nearly broke a blood vessel with how furious he became. I glared right back at him. My kid was hungry. When it comes to my kids hunger or comfort, that comes first, and others who want to make it an issue with me can go screw themselves.

Oh, they're teenagers now, and have been weaned for a long time. :D

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
My wife would breastfeed in public every now and then. Some older women would say you shouldn't do it, but my wife always said it's her choice, not theirs.

We were even asked a few times to 'go elsewhere', because 'it may offend people' by security guards; either my wife or I would tell them to screw off. :D

Though she eventually moved to bottle formulae, less trouble feeding them, and other people could take them out if they wanted to.

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
Some babies like being covered, some don't. My daughter nursed with no issues on whether a blanket or shirt was covering her. My son would push that shirt up to my neck because he hated being covered regardless. Was pretty interesting, to say the least. LOL

Regardless, there was always a sour apple wherever I went even if they had to investigate on whether or not I was breastfeeding.

People in these parts freak out at the sight of a female nipple, but the fleshy part of a breast tends not to elicit the same outrage. Anything bearing cleavage, a bra-top shirt, or swimsuits many times will reveal more of the overall breast than breastfeeding does. But the minute a nipple is revealed, the breast becomes sexualized and intimate to what is seen to be private for the woman and her partner.

It's why people tend to get squeamish around breastfeeding. Social convention has taught them that a woman's nipple is intimately sexualized, and indecent when exposed.

I did it anyway. I even breastfed in the baby room at my mothers church, where there were other kids present, and where a dad saw what I was doing and nearly broke a blood vessel with how furious he became. I glared right back at him. My kid was hungry. When it comes to my kids hunger or comfort, that comes first, and others who want to make it an issue with me can go screw themselves.

Oh, they're teenagers now, and have been weaned for a long time. :D

Yeah, i remember when taking classes on child development for my certification we watched a video that depicted mothers breastfeeding and I found it very odd how the camera was situated in such a way that you could see pretty much the entire boob but it was only the nipple itself that would get fuzzed out whenever it showed up on screen. *sigh*. I often wish that men never thought to sexualize breasts.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
What I think is MOST women do try and be "discreet" but the point is her goal isn't to flash her breast/s anyway.Its not an attempt to exibit herself.

At least for the first 4/5 months especially if its soley breast milk that the child is thriving on takes enormous dedication effort and time by the mother. Harrassing her over it and treating her like she is some pervert committing some lewd sex act in public is shameful and disgusting.Its not SEXUAL.

That is what the breast are PRIMARILY FOR! If you never use them for that or if you enjoy them in other ways does not NEGATE that.

I mean really! Its like shaming someone for using their mouth to eat food just because we (some of us) use our mouth for sex! Its not our fault (nursing mothers) that boobs have been assigned to be 100% sexualized like some sort of adornment women posses to squeeze and lick or whatever for sex.

Its a baby EATING.I think that grosses some people (men and women) out!I mean we are MAMMALS...when is the last time you covered up a dog or a cat that was nursing so as to not "offend anyone"?????

Maybe if breast weren't so "taboo" in the first place as in we should just all be able to go topless no one would freak out so bad???

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
What I think is MOST women do try and be "discreet" but the point is her goal isn't to flash her breast/s anyway.Its not an attempt to exibit herself.

At least for the first 4/5 months especially if its soley breast milk that the child is thriving on takes enormous dedication effort and time by the mother. Harrassing her over it and treating her like she is some pervert committing some lewd sex act in public is shameful and disgusting.Its not SEXUAL.

That is what the breast are PRIMARILY FOR! If you never use them for that or if you enjoy them in other ways does not NEGATE that.

I mean really! Its like shaming someone for using their mouth to eat food just because we (some of us) use our mouth for sex! Its not our fault (nursing mothers) that boobs have been assigned to be 100% sexualized like some sort of adornment women posses to squeeze and lick or whatever for sex.

Its a baby EATING.I think that grosses some people (men and women) out!I mean we are MAMMALS...when is the last time you covered up a dog or a cat that was nursing so as to not "offend anyone"?????

Maybe if breast weren't so "taboo" in the first place as in we should just all be able to go topless no one would freak out so bad???

Damn straight, girl! I think you should spearhead this important social movement and show us your breasts. Viva la revolution!

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
Damn straight, girl! I think you should spearhead this important social movement and show us your breasts. Viva la revolution!

NO! Its ILLEGAL plus Im not breastfeeding now...but I did for one year with my last child.And even under my shirt (completely) I got some odd looks.

Oh and I noted ..was it you ? Or someone above said about a 4 year old girl being topples was a problem? Why the heck it that? What is the difference in a 4 year old girl and a 4 year old boy topless??? So now 4 year old topless girls are sexualized and not even by pediphiles?

Happened to me when I was six.Told to put my top back on running around playing in Florida in the summer with my 8 year old brother who took his top off.

"Put your top back on " ...why??? "because your are a girl".

ignition

NO! Its ILLEGAL plus Im not breastfeeding now...but I did for one year with my last child.And even under my shirt (completely) I got some odd looks.

Oh and I noted ..was it you ? Or someone above said about a 4 year old girl being topples was a problem? Why the heck it that? What is the difference in a 4 year old girl and a 4 year old boy topless??? So now 4 year old topless girls are sexualized and not even by pediphiles?

Happened to me when I was six.Told to put my top back on running around playing in Florida in the summer with my 8 year old brother who took his top off.

"Put your top back on " ...why??? "because your are a girl".
The difference is that a girl develops breasts which is considered sexual and a boy doesn't. Girls bodies are also more pleasing to the eye generally whereas our bodies are more functional. So yeah, keep your top on.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
The difference is that a girl develops breasts which is considered sexual and a boy doesn't. Girls bodies are also more pleasing to the eye generally whereas our bodies are more functional. So yeah, keep your top on.

You find a 4 year old girl's body pleasing to the eye?

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
[QUOTEThe difference is that a girl develops breasts which is considered sexual and a boy doesn't. Girls bodies are also more pleasing to the eye generally whereas our bodies are more functional. So yeah, keep your top on.][/QUOTE]

That sounds like somebody else's problem.