• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Psychatric Ward

Bishka

Veteran Member
This may be a little personal, but I'm just wondering whose had similar situations to my own. Have any of you ever been taken to a psychatric ward of a hosptial (more then a day or for a field trip or something) or been a a in or out patient program(more then a month).

I'm just curious and wondering what y'all thought of your stay.

gnomon

beckysoup61 said:
This may be a little personal, but I'm just wondering whose had similar situations to my own. Have any of you ever been taken to a psychatric ward of a hosptial (more then a day or for a field trip or something) or been a a in or out patient program(more then a month).

I spent five days in a psychiatric/detox "cottage" at Ridgeview and five weeks at an inpatient halfway house at the same hospital. About four months later I spent another four weeks outpatient at Ridgeview.

It was quite an ... experience. Especially considering the next two years were spent at a 3/4 way house heavily involved with the same hospital. I learned quite a lot about addiction and mental disorders but not quite what they expected to teach me.

Circle_One

I was institutionalized twice when I was a teenager. Once for what they called "Anger problems", and I wasn't permitted to socialize with the other patients until not long before I was to be let out, so I don't really have much feedback other than my stay didn't really do anything to help my "anger problems", but rather, the solitary confinement only furthered my rage.

The second time was for substance abuse and I've gotta say, spending months with no one but other junkies and nurses really doesn't do much to help your attempts to quit. Truth be told, I found it easier to get drugs while I was in there than when I was out.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Mental illness runs in my family, and ever since my dad was admitted to the Mao Clinic when I was 6 or 8, one of my worst fears has been that I'd wind up in a similar situation. (This has not been helped by my dad insisting that I'm exactly like him. I love him, but it isn't the most helpful thing to say.) However (hopefully) improbable it is, it remains something I'm terrified by.

Whoops, editted to add my actual experience in a psychiatric institution. Unfortunatly, it was in the role as a worker, at a PMIC. (Psychiatric mental institution for children.) I worked there for three years, before I couldn't stand it any longer. I hated working with crazy people- though the kids were pretty much okay. (This is a not-so-subtle joke about the people that wind up working with those affected. I think a great deal of them wind up doing more harm than good to those in their care- at least at the place I worked.)

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Mental illness runs in my family, and ever since my dad was admitted to the Mao Clinic when I was 6 or 8, one of my worst fears has been that I'd wind up in a similar situation. (This has not been helped by my dad insisting that I'm exactly like him. I love him, but it isn't the most helpful thing to say.) However (hopefully) improbable it is, it remains something I'm terrified by.
I feel your panick with the stuff that runs in the family. A list of things including depression, heart disease, diabetes, some type of athletes foot pronounced sir-eye-uh-sis that spreads to more than just feet, high blood preasure, and a list of others.

literal visionary

I never been to one, but my foster sister went to one when she lived in my aunts house before, they took her off and she said she never wanted to go back, she said she remembers they injected this girl in the butt.

She got sent in because she has lots of problems, she was very angry and fight with people constantly, she has a low IQ in addition to being completely mentally unstable.

before she came to our house she would have sex with anyone, any where,
she got kicked off the school bus for performing sexual acts on somebody in front of 3rd graders, If somebody said lets have sex ill give you a half eaten oatmeal cookie she would do it.

she also ate everything in my aunts garage like 3 truckloads of canned uncooked food
like hard spaghetti noodles, in a month

and she would steal food out of the kitchen too.

she told people crazy things,
like she saw the ghost of the rock(wrestler) everywhere,
she also beleived anything she watched on tv and anything yuo would tell her she would believe, like that one movie where earth was covered by a tidal wave,
and independence day, and the scorpian king,

she also would attack people for no reason,
like touching a screw on the bus,
or calling her up to the store,and she would yell out "i have STDS"or ringworms,

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
When I was in 10th grade (about 16) I spent 4 days in an institution from having a breakdown and slicing the hell out of my arm. It was close to exams, and I still stress them more than I should, but back then I just ran in circles in my head until I couldn't take it any longer.

I honestly believe I met an angel there. Her name was Terra, she was my roomie, and she was in there for trying to commit suicide. When I arrived there, I wouldn't answer in anything but monosyllabic answers to anyone that spoke to my. By the end of the first day I was there, she had me laughing and joking with people.

On the third day she was transferred to another institution (she had been in her current one for 4 months)... we'd only met for a short time, but I bonded to her quicker than anyone else. I can still remember going off to help her get her things together (read: find an excuse to spend a few more minutes with her before she left), her telling me I was like a sister, and giving the rules of the institution the proverbial finger and squeezing the living daylights out of each other.

The people I met there were some of the most amazing people I've ever met. The staff, on the other hand, sucked. They treated us like infants... keeping us under surveillance and not allowing us to have certain things I can understand, but their entire attitude towards us was disgusting.

FyreBrigidIce

Returning Noob
When I was 16 I was put in our local Psychiatric hospital's Children and Youth ward. My step-dad worked at the same psychiatric center and normally went to the C&Y ward when the staff needed extra help getting someone to calm down. (Basically pin them down while someone else gave them a shot in the tush.) I had overdosed on my mom's expired meds. 40 pills from numerous bottles all of which were either pain meds or muscle relaxants. I took them with Champagne and Ginger Ale. (to this day I can't drink Ginger Ale without flashbacks). I called a friend of mine to tell them goodbye and passed out while still on the phone with her. Her dad called where my parents were and they came home to find me on the couch after cleaning up what I heaved out. (did not want my dog to get the pills) I cared more about my dog than I did myself. my parents took me to the ER and I was admitted that night.

I was there for a couple of weeks. My parents found out that I only did it for attention and to change how I was treated at home.

In November of 2005 I was sent out of town to a Psychiatric center 2 hours away. There were no female beds at our local BSU. I was admitted because I got hit with a sudden burst of energy and hyperness yet all I wanted to do was cry and I could not get home to my tools that I use there to calm down. I was only there for 3 days. All we did was get up at 7, take our showers and get ready for a full day upstairs. We had one group a day and only 2 days did we do an activity group. The only reason I got to leave on the 3rd day is because I sat down and figured out what I would do if I ever had that feeling again in public. The DR. upped my Zoloft prescription but I did not get any coulseling to help me understand why I had the spell to begin with. It was like having a 3 day break from everything. I also learned how much I am affected by other peoples outbursts. I get extremely edgy and aggitated when people yell or argue in front of me.

FBI

EnhancedSpirit

High Priestess
beckysoup61 said:

When I was 16, and after getting kicked out of school twice, and running away from home, my mom put me in a treatment center, way out in the boonies, Arcadia, OK.

It was not a hospital. We had 96 hours a week of scheduled time. We were on work crews. The kitchen crew did all the cooking, the house crew did all the cleaning and the yard and maintenance crew took care of the yard, garden and vehicles. It was structured in such a way that we learned to be responsible. There were meetings of all kinds, including one called an 'encounter' when everyone points out to you the things they DO NOT like about you. We also rotated on phone duty, a troubled teen hotline. It was an incredible learning experience. Like I said, it was not a hospital, there were no locked doors, or medications administered. It was really a great place for teens to get things into proper perspective. It was called THE HOUSE OF LIFE TREATMENT CENTER. There was no religious bases to the place, either so it wasn't like a cult. We would sometimes do group trances, and trust therapy activities. I really did learn alot there. Funny thing is, I didn't do most of my partying until after that, but they taught us that drugs and alcohol is not a problem, but a symptom. Helped me understand that drinking in celebration is OK, but drinking because your relationship is falling apart is not OK.

mrscardero

Kal-El's Mama
Psych twice. First time for a few days. Second time for a month. Depression tends to push you to the end.

Now I just go there to pick up clients or drop them off. One time I went with another staff to visit one of our clients and when it was time to go, they wouldn't let us out. They thought we belong there. My co-worker freaked out. She said she didn't belong there and she wanted out. She thought the guy was kidding until he said that we were not allowed out the door. I started laughing. Felt like old times when I tried to sneak out of the Psych center.

gnomon

mrscardero said:
Psych twice. First time for a few days. Second time for a month. Depression tends to push you to the end.

Now I just go there to pick up clients or drop them off. One time I went with another staff to visit one of our clients and when it was time to go, they wouldn't let us out. They thought we belong there. My co-worker freaked out. She said she didn't belong there and she wanted out. She thought the guy was kidding until he said that we were not allowed out the door. I started laughing. Felt like old times when I tried to sneak out of the Psych center.

I recall a time in the halfway house during visiting day. A couple walked in the front door of a meeting room between two of the "cottages". At the same time I walked in from the back door of the meeting room. They stopped and looked at me. I looked past them at the door, raised my hand and said, "The door. It's open. The door is open!". The look on their face was priceless.:D I was about to rush past them out the door and jump behind a bush. Unfortunately, I didn't. Would have been great. The couple seemed genuinely relieved when I told them I was joking and helped direct them to the correct location.

M

Majikthise

After our first psyc eval during military basic training , Me and another guy were separated from our flight 4 or 5 times , usually during parade practice. We would march alone to the med complex and separately see a shrink.
She asked basic questions at first, "how are you feeling" or "where are you from".
As the sessions progressed the questions got more personal and sexual in nature,...weird sex stuff.:confused:
Then it just stopped.
The only thing I could think of is that I answered "have you cried lately" with a yes.
I had lost my neice, my grandmother and my older brother in th past few years and I was still greiving, thoughts stll coming to me now and then.
Still makes no sense to me.:rolleyes: