• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Psalms 118.26

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
It's My Birthday!
Psalms 118:26
ברוך הבא בשם יהוה ברכנוכם מבית יהוה׃​
Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord; we have blessed you from the house of the Lord.​

Questions:

Is the 'house of the Lord' a literal house?
Is the 'name of the Lord' a literal name?

Would the source of the psalm flip-flop between literal and figurative mid-verse?

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
“Yahweh” in Hebrew, “Jehovah” in English

According to Joel 2:32, it’s quite an important name!

This world tries to hide many important truths.

RestlessSoul

Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord; we have blessed you from the house of the Lord.​

Questions:

Would the source of the psalm flip-flop between literal and figurative mid-verse?

This verse is quoted (by Jesus) in Matthew 23:39. References to the Psalms turn up quite often in the Gospels. As they do subsequently throughout the western, and particularly anglophone, literary canon.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
I could say "Yahweh", but I worry you're more than just curious. And I don't really want to debate something I'm not sure about myself.
Yahweh is the title.

Lord's Name.PNG

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member

Questions:

very good questions

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
And God said to Moses, I AM THAT I AM; and He said, you shall say this to the sons of Israel, I AM has sent me to you.
Ex. 3:14
in the hebrew it's I WILL BE; which is always being something, no thing, everything, any thing

rosends

that is the english translation. what does it imply, the word name in your opinion?

in the next ch 119 it's mentioned twice again
The English word "name" has a variety of meanings. It can be a personal label of identity, it can be non-personal identifier, it can refer to reputation, or it might be a title or rank. The Hebrew word shem (which is often translated as "name") has a similar variety of potential meanings. To do something "in the name of" (b'shem, in that verse) might simply be saying "to do something within the context" of a certain cultural belief.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
The English word "name" has a variety of meanings. It can be a personal label of identity, it can be non-personal identifier, it can refer to reputation, or it might be a title or rank. The Hebrew word shem (which is often translated as "name") has a similar variety of potential meanings. To do something "in the name of" (b'shem, in that verse) might simply be saying "to do something within the context" of a certain cultural belief.

agreed the potential is there for all to be

in the hebrew it's I WILL BE; which is always being something, no thing, everything, any thing
What is the difference between I am and I will be? I will be means at some day I am, but now I am not?

rosends

What is the difference between I am and I will be? I will be means at some day I am, but now I am not?
So "I am eating" is the same as "I will be eating?"

I am indicates current existence. I will be is reassurance of continued existence.