1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Protesting Censorship By Censoring....

Discussion in 'General Debates' started by Mestemia, Jan 11, 2021.

1. stvdv

stvdv Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +6,205
    Religion:
    Sanathana Dharma [The Eternal Religion]
    There are plenty of addicts unable to control their addiction; can you claim you have not 1 addiction? (addiction I define as doing something that is harmful for you/others on body, mind or soul level, but you do not stop it, while being aware of the harm done to you and/or others ... being cynical, and esp. sarcastic falls in this category too)

2. crossfire

crossfire Antinomian feminist heretic freak ☿
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,706
    Religion:
    ☿ Mercuræn Mahayana Buddhist & Pastafarian
    Yeah, that's how I read it, as well.

3. stvdv

stvdv Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +6,205
    Religion:
    I read this differently:

You can censor on many levels. Google, Facebook, Twitter all censor a lot; easily going down the road of China. This network provider claims that they disagree with this AND that they, being the network provider, censor the ones who censor ... meaning they stop the ones censoring. Compare it to a police man shooting a killer to avoid him from killing innocent people. Network provider trumps social media in the hierarchy of the ISO pyramid.

I rather have censorship on network provider level, so that I can decide what I see, by contacting the network provider myself (stvdv fully responsible and in control). I don't like where we go now, that Google, Facebook and other soc.media, who have become so widely used now, censor my news, that is the same as censor Freedom of Speech; like I said before, virtual life (soc.media) Rules kind of substitute real life (Freedom of Speech) Rules. Censor freedom of speech on soc.media = limit Freedom of Speech in real life. Gradually people fail to see the difference, and gradually we might loose our Freedom of Speech. Newspapers disappear fast, people read their news on internet. Newspapers have Freedom of Speech, when newspapers disappear and are replaced with soc.media then soc.media should NOT censor more than the newspapers (IMO).
    @stvdvRF

4. crossfire

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,706
    Religion:
    The parents may not want their children accessing those sites, and are afraid that the children would be tech-savvy enough to get around any controls the parents might put on their home network, so they ask the ISP provider to block those sites. ISP's cannot blanket censor or slow down service according to Washington State laws. The kids can probably access those sites through a proxy on their cell phones, however, since the ISP cannot blanket censor.
    This situation would then force parents to talk to their children about these sites and use logic and persuasion to discourage their children from going to those sites instead of the more forceful blocking. (Which is probably the healthier route, imo.)

5. Mestemia

Mestemia Advocatus Diaboli
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +11,940
    They are claiming censoring is immoral and they will combat censoring by censoring...
    While LITERALLY claiming the higher moral ground...

Just because they back peddled from their initial agenda...
    And only then because it is likely illegal for them to go on with the original plan...

Your choosing to decide what you want to see and not see for yourself is not censorship.
    You deciding what others get to see and not see is censorship.

AND this has absolutely nothing to do with Freedom Of Speech.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. ChristineM

ChristineM "Be strong" I whispered to my coffee.
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +24,604
    Religion:
    None

A lot of US content is not served in Europe because European internet privacy laws forbid the provider selling on your logged details to a third party.

I hadn't heard of it happening the other way round

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. stvdv

stvdv Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +6,205
    Religion:
    Exactly my point

You missed my point

8. Twilight Hue

Twilight Hue The gentle embrace of twilight has become my guide

Ratings:
    +13,303
    Religion:
    Philosophical Buddhism
  9. stvdv

stvdv Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +6,205
    Religion:
    By looking at the bigger picture

While shifting into this relatively new area of social media, it takes time to find the right way

People make decisions, some are useful and others will be withdrawn. It's not about "looking bad" when seen from the bigger picture

• Like Like x 1
  10. Secret Chief

Secret Chief Meghalayan Ape

Ratings:
    +4,562
    Religion:
    Buddhism
    Donald who?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. crossfire

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,706
    Religion:
    Or in this case, it would have been illegal for them to blanket-censor their customers in Washington state without those customers specifically asking the ISP provider to block those sites.

#51 crossfire, Jan 12, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
  12. Mestemia

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +11,940
    Oh, they are definitely not worried about looking bad.
    Even though it may well be slitting their own throat.

As for the "bigger picture", what "bigger picture" do you suppose their blatantly shooting themselves in the foot reveals?

13. Mestemia

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +11,940
    Ah...
    perhaps that is the "bigger picture"...
    Getting themselves in trouble for doing the very thing they condemn others for....

14. stvdv

stvdv Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +6,205
    Religion:
    Evolution

15. Stevicus

Stevicus Veteran Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +9,756
    Religion:
    Agnostic
    I've seen it come up before, especially when I've posted links to local TV/radio stations, and even some local news sites. I'm not sure what it is.

As for the article, I note that it stated the action by this ISP could violate Washington state's Net Neutrality law, although I'll admit I've always been a bit fuzzy on the whole issue net neutrality.

I've never heard of this company before; it seems like a smaller local provider. I don't think Twitter or Facebook will be losing any sleep over this. Cox and Comcast are the major providers in my area, although they're all over the country, so if they cut off Twitter and Facebook, it would likely make a bigger splash.

I don't know how this could turn out. Could every internet service provider turn into their own North Korea (or their own private Idaho)?

16. Stevicus

Stevicus Veteran Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +9,756
    Religion:
    Agnostic
    Personally, I've had absolutely no trouble at all avoiding Facebook and Twitter.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. Polymath257

Polymath257 Think & Care
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +22,058
    Religion:
    Non-theist
    it's a strange phenomenon. But we have had people on RF that have asked to be banned because they "can't help themselves".

• Like Like x 1
  18. Windwalker

Windwalker Integralist
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6,684
    Religion:
    Love, Light, and Life
    This is stupidity. For one thing, other services providers will happily pick them up because what they did was not illegal, nor the suppression of free speech, nor anything other than booting a bad customer for not following their Terms of Service.

In the case of Parler, they were absolutely free to find another hosting site, and Amazon agreed to help them transition to that. As it turns out, no other company wanted to do business with them. So if Amazon is to be blamed, then all of those who subsequently refused Parler their business, are just as guilty.

In the case of the Idaho folks, that's just a bad business choice. They'll lose an important client to another provider, who will then scoop up all of the customers who leave them for the new provider. That's how you kill your own business.

But gutting your own inventory, is legal, and a choice you can make all you want, regardless if it's a good choice or not for your business. :) I'm more the sure customers will be happy to leave them for another provider.

19. sun rise

sun rise "This is the Hour of God"
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +24,899
    Religion:
    Love
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. sun rise

sun rise "This is the Hour of God"
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +24,899
    Religion:
    Love
    Reading the rest of the thread, has modified what I posted.

The difference between advocating and organizing violence and sedition and ordinary free speech is lost on the right to whom violence and sedition against government, the media and in fact any who disagree is their form of speech.