• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prophecies fulfilledz

Me Myself

Back to my username
In the Torah

Could you give me examples of prophecies given and then fulfilled in the Torah? The more the better.

Last edited:

Akivah

You need to know that the meaning of the word “prophecy” is different in Judaism as opposed to Christianity. Going forward, I’m only talking about Judaism in this thread. Prophecy means a message given by G-d to tell people of the current generation. The purpose of prophecy is to make corrections in Jewish society. Biblically, prophecy is used to get us back on track and tells a possible punishment if we don’t comply. Prophecy can also be used to deliver private messages to an individual or contains a specific instruction that is a one-time-only command. Prophets speak for G-d and are usually talking to their contemporaries. The majority of prophecy was meant for the then current time. Thus, the words of the prophets in the Book of Prophets is all prophecy. Prophecy in Judaism has direct one-to-one correspondence to its fulfillment.

Here are some samples:
Prophecy made:
Joshua 6:26 Joshua caused [the people] to swear at that time saying, 'Cursed before G-d is the man who rises up and builds this city Jericho. With his firstborn son he will lay its foundations, and with his youngest he will set up its gates.

And fulfilled:
I Kings 16:34 In his days, Hiel the Beth-elite built Jericho; with Abiriam, his firstborn, he laid its foundations; and with Segub, his youngest, he set up its doors, according to the word of G-d He spoke through Joshua son of Nun.

Prophecy made:
Isa 7:14-16 Therefore, the Lord, of His own, shall give you a sign; behold, the young woman is with child, and she shall bear a son, and she shall call his name Immanuel. Cream and honey he shall eat when he knows to reject bad and choose good. For, when the lad does not yet know to reject bad and choose good, the land whose two kings you dread [i.e. Rezin and Pekah], shall be abandoned."

And fulfilled:
II Kings 15:29-30 In the days of Pekah the king of Israel, Tiglath-pileser the king of Assyria came and took Ijon, Abel-beth-maacah, Janoah, Kedesh, Hazor, Gilead, and Galilee, the entire land of Naphtali; and he exiled them to Assyria. And Hoshea the son of Elah revolted against Pekah the son of Remaliah, and he struck him and slew him, and reigned in his stead, in the twentieth year of Jotham the son of Uzziah.
II Kings 16:9 And the king of Assyria heeded him, and the king of Assyria went up to Damascus and seized it, and exiled [its inhabitants] to Kir, and he slew Rezin.

Prophecy made:
Zech 12:10 And I will pour out upon the house of David and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem a spirit of grace and supplications. And they shall look to me because of those who have been thrust through [with swords], and they shall mourn over it as one mourns over an only son and shall be in bitterness, therefore, as one is embittered over a firstborn son.

And fulfilled:
II Chronicles 35:24 And his servants took him away from the chariot, and they put him into his second chariot and brought him to Jerusalem, and he died and was buried in the graves of his forefathers, and all of Judah and Jerusalem were mourning for Josiah.

Prophecy made:
Deut 18:18 I will set up a prophet for them from among their brothers like you, and I will put My words into his mouth, and he will speak to them all that I command him.

And fulfilled:
Moses prophesized that the system of prophets would be set up and it was.

Prophecy made:
Gen 15:13 And He said to Abram, "You shall surely know that your seed will be strangers in a land that is not theirs, and they will enslave them and oppress them, for four hundred years.

And fulfilled:
The whole Egyptian slavery period.

Me Myself

Back to my username
I'll be back with some. But please, Me Myself, the Torah is eternal. The word "old" has been usurped by Christianity and their version of the bible. "The Torah" is all you needed.

My apologies, TBH, I had initially written OT, then checked back and noticed the fault in context.

Dont underestimate 15 years of catholic upbringing :eek:

I thought I replaced it all but then I missed that part. It is edited now :)

Last edited: