• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pronouncing God in Other Languages

Neo Deist

Th.D. & D.Div. h.c.
This is not a debate, just a general discussion. Far too often I see people getting upset when a Muslim says "Allah," and I am left wondering why. Allah is merely the Arabic word for God. If they say "Allah be praised," they are saying "God be praised," which is a good thing!

No one gets upset if a German says Gott. Let's look at other languages and how God is pronounced:

Chinese: Shén

Japanese: Kami

Korean: Hananim

Spanish: Dios

Italian: Dio

French: Dieu

Portuguese: Deus

Russian: Bog

Swahili: Mungu

Greek: Theós

Moral of the lesson: "God" is not the name of God. It is an English term that is used to label the deity. Relax if you hear it in another language.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
This is not a debate, just a general discussion. Far too often I see people getting upset when a Muslim says "Allah," and I am left wondering why. Allah is merely the Arabic word for God. If they say "Allah be praised," they are saying "God be praised," which is a good thing!

No one gets upset if a German says Gott. Let's look at other languages and how God is pronounced:

Chinese: Shén

Japanese: Kami

Korean: Hananim

Spanish: Dios

Italian: Dio

French: Dieu

Portuguese: Deus

Russian: Bog

Swahili: Mungu

Greek: Theós

Moral of the lesson: "God" is not the name of God. It is an English term that is used to define the deity. Relax if you hear it in another language.

Bog?

Oh my bog.

Ciao

- viole

Kemosloby

Premium Member
They do not know God though, so when they praise God it is the same as blasphemy. From a Christian perspective "If they do not know the Son, they do not know the Father", So scripturally one might be justified in what we perceive naturally, When they say "Allah be Praised", we know they don't know what the heck they're talking about.

Neo Deist

Th.D. & D.Div. h.c.
They do not know God though, so when they praise God it is the same as blasphemy. From a Christian perspective "If they do not know the Son, they do not know the Father", So scripturally one might be justified in what we perceive naturally, When they say "Allah be Praised", we know they don't know what the heck they're talking about.

This is not a debate section, but who are you to say someone does not know God just because they don't speak English? Do you think English existed as a language during the time of Jesus? Talk about an example of bigotry! And people wonder why so many others hate Christians.

Edit: if we used your language requirement for knowing God, you don't know God either since you don't speak Koine Greek, which is the language of the NT.

Last edited:

Kemosloby

Premium Member
This is not a debate section, but who are you to say someone does not know God just because they don't speak English? Do you think English existed as a language during the time of Jesus? Talk about an example of bigotry! And people wonder why so many others hate Christians.

Oh right, so a Muslim speaking Christian would also say Allah be praised. Ok, i get that. But it doesn't mean everybody who says God be praised is talking about the same God.

Kemosloby

Premium Member

Edit: if we used your language requirement for knowing God, you don't know God either since you don't speak Koine Greek, which is the language of the NT.

What do you care, your not even a Christian, your a neo deist.

Neo Deist

Th.D. & D.Div. h.c.
Oh right, so a Muslim speaking Christian would also say Allah be praised. Ok, i get that. But it doesn't mean everybody who says God be praised is talking about the same God.

Muslim is not a language. That would be Arabic, Indonesian, Chinese or Urdu for a majority of the world.

Neo Deist

Th.D. & D.Div. h.c.
What do you care, your not even a Christian, your a neo deist.

Christian Deist actually, and my position has been well documented and known on these forums for years. Thanks for playing "I don't know jack about the rest of the world."

Kemosloby

Premium Member
Christian Deist actually, and my position has been well documented and known on these forums for years. Thanks for playing "I don't know jack about the rest of the world."
Ain't know such thing. He'll spew you out of his mouth.

Kemosloby

Premium Member

You're playing games to trick people into the New World Order scheme, we all worship the same God. We don't.

Neo Deist

Th.D. & D.Div. h.c.
You're playing games to trick people into the New World Order scheme, we all worship the same God. We don't.

fp1.jpg

Neo Deist

Th.D. & D.Div. h.c.
Seriously, why even ask your question? Language has never been an issue. Nobody has ever thought translating scripture from the Hebrew to the Greek implied it being another God.

Last comment to you...

Islam is one of three Abrahamic religions. The other two are Judaism and Christianity. All three trace roots back to "Father Abraham." All three believe in the same God.