• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Proff Stories In The Bible Are Wrong

Parsimony

It seems that researchers in Israel have determined that stories in the Bible that reference camels are incorrect.

Camel bones suggest error in Bible, archaeologists say | Fox News
This is definitely something I'll be looking into. I admit that I'm not much of a historian when it comes to the dates of events in the Bible, but could it be that the historians were simply wrong about when the events in question took place instead of it being the case that the events didn't happen at all? Or would that cause a contradiction with other evidence?

Archaeologists from Israel’s top university have used radiocarbon dating to...

Well, they've already lost the creationists...

Last edited:

Boyd

It seems that researchers in Israel have determined that stories in the Bible that reference camels are incorrect.

I read this yesterday as well. I'm not sure why it is an interest, as the carbon dating only strengthens what has long been held to be true.

It has been known for some time that the domestication of the camel was later than what the Bible suggest. I'm not sure it means much though.

The ancestral stories are somewhat of an epic nature. The authors weren't practicing history as we know it today, but putting together a variety of source to make a national epic. It is no wonder that they would include ideas that were common for them as well.

outhouse

Atheistically
This is definitely something I'll be looking into. I admit that I'm not much of a historian when it comes to the dates of events in the Bible, but could it be that the historians were simply wrong about when the events in question took place instead of it being the case that the events didn't happen at all? Or would that cause a contradiction with other evidence?

Well, they've already lost the creationists...

As Boyd stated, much of these legends are epic in nature and sometimes based on what they were told or believed, not what actually happened.

These ancient people also wrote using mythology , allegory, song, poem and metaphors to convey their morals and teach their cultural needs.

These were not history books nor ever intended to be read or used that way.

The historians are 100% correct my friend. Much of what is written never actually happened as such.

AmbiguousGuy

It has been known for some time that the domestication of the camel was later than what the Bible suggest. I'm not sure it means much though.

Some people think that God wrote the Bible. And they think that God never makes mistakes.

If God could be wrong about the camels, maybe He was also wrong about the Ten Commandments or about Jesus being His son.

Man of Faith

Oh you mean biased :facepalm:

How do you know these scientist were not religious?

A non-biased person stating that the Bible is wrong? I've never heard of such a thing as that. And also you might notice that I didn't say someone with my same religion, but someone with my same worldview and that is that the Bible is inspired, inerrant and infallible.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
A non-biased person stating that the Bible is wrong? I've never heard of such a thing as that. And also you might notice that I didn't say someone with my same religion, but someone with my same worldview and that is that the Bible is inspired, inerrant and infallible.

If I say Aesop's fables are wrong because animals don't speak Greek, am I biased against Aesop?

Man of Faith

If I say Aesop's fables are wrong because animals don't speak Greek, am I biased against Aesop?

If you are walking down the road and you meet someone walking a dog and instead of saying hi, or nice dog, or make small talk about dogs/pets, but instread you come out and say "Aeslp's fables are wrong because animals don't speak Greek", then I would say yes you are biased about that because it isn't something that would normally come up unless you were trying to prove something.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
If you are walking down the road and you meet someone walking a dog and instead of saying hi, or nice dog, or make small talk about dogs/pets, but instread you come out and say "Aeslp's fables are wrong because animals don't speak Greek", then I would say yes you are biased about that because it isn't something that would normally come up unless you were trying to prove something.

And suppose the owner of that dog has a habit of droning on and on that their dog can speak Greek, and people are gullible enough to believe their spiel. It is certainly justified to take the time to inform them and any other believers that dogs can't even formulate the sounds necessary to speak the language, let alone understand conjugation and syntax.

Sees

Dragonslayer
As Boyd stated, much of these legends are epic in nature and sometimes based on what they were told or believed, not what actually happened.

These ancient people also wrote using mythology , allegory, song, poem and metaphors to convey their morals and teach their cultural needs.

These were not history books nor ever intended to be read or used that way.

I feel bad at times for people who don't see this...they miss all the "heavenly glory" as Bruce Lee would say. There are amazing things we can find in old stories when we don't take them as literal history/aka chewing on the shell without ever getting to the nut.

Really people should be glad for every historian, archeologist, etc. who knocks away at the mundane, literal renderings.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One

this isnt a new thought, it was also suggested back in 1964 by a Werner Keller who said that camels were not domesticated at an early date
But he was proved wrong in 1978 when archaeologist Moshe Dayan found evidence that camels were used back in patriarchal times. They found an eighteenth-century BC relief at Byblos in Phoenicia depicting a kneeling camel, and another on a cylinder found in Mesopotamia from the patriarchal period.

chasing tails!

nazz

Doubting Thomas
this isnt a new thought, it was also suggested back in 1964 by a Werner Keller who said that camels were not domesticated at an early date
But he was proved wrong in 1978 when archaeologist Moshe Dayan found evidence that camels were used back in patriarchal times. They found an eighteenth-century BC relief at Byblos in Phoenicia depicting a kneeling camel, and another on a cylinder found in Mesopotamia from the patriarchal period.

chasing tails!

source?

Man of Faith

And suppose the owner of that dog has a habit of droning on and on that their dog can speak Greek, and people are gullible enough to believe their spiel. It is certainly justified to take the time to inform them and any other believers that dogs can't even formulate the sounds necessary to speak the language, let alone understand conjugation and syntax.

Whether it is justified or not isn't necessarily the issue that I am referring to, maybe it is. But I believe that there are people out there that it is one of their self-imposed tasks in life to prove the Bible wrong and here we have an indication of that. A story about camels which is written to frame it around the Bible is false. I'm sure there is an argument against their slanted view on the data and I feel I am justified in waiting on the counter argument from the scientists that adhere to my worldview before I comment on the findings.

Man of Faith

chasing tails!

I like to call them rabbit holes.

Sees

Dragonslayer
Whether it is justified or not isn't necessarily the issue that I am referring to, maybe it is. But I believe that there are people out there that it is one of their self-imposed tasks in life to prove the Bible wrong and here we have an indication of that. A story about camels which is written to frame it around the Bible is false. I'm sure there is an argument against their slanted view on the data and I feel I am justified in waiting on the counter argument from the scientists that adhere to my worldview before I comment on the findings.

:devil: We are Many, We will destroy your precious :devil:

Parsimony

Waiting for more information is good, but just take care not to invoke conspiracy theories just yet. :p

outhouse

Atheistically

Much of the bible has been proven without a doubt to be incorrect, this is just another of many historical errors in mythology, the bible used.

Th ebible is not a history book nor ment to be read and used as such.