• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Probably The Most Entertaining Tour And Critique Of Ken Ham's Ark To Date

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
A vastly overstated misrepresentation of the situation. The few who bother to read internet discussions/debates such as this or see YouTube videos about the Ark are nothing compared to the thousands upon thousands curious enough to walk through it. Nope, the Ark park isn't going to die because a few people don't "poke" at it. It will eventually die because of the dwindling interest---Been there. Done that.---and indebtedness. I can almost see

waiting down the road.

As usual, you are reluctant to take in the perspective of someone who knows the Evangelical mindset. He needs people to give him money, and to get people to give him money he needs people to be aware of him. He could be utterly forgotten by the general public in a few years if people ignored him. But he's most likely going to be immortalized within Evangelism as an example of a godly and righteous man. That damage can't be undone.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I can almost see

30556_98560df031190f221f09deab7032d81d.png

waiting down the road.
Unless, as I suspect, Ken Ham has created something "too big to fail". At least for Kentucky.

He didn't invest any $100 million. Taxpayers and wealthy folk paid for that thing. And now, if their investment starts going down the drain they'll be pulling out the stops forking over yet more corporate welfare. Like Goldman-Sachs did a few years ago.
Tom

Skwim

Veteran Member
As usual, you are reluctant to take in the perspective of someone who knows the Evangelical mindset.

So, just what is it you know about the Evangelical mindset that I don't? AND why does it make a difference?

He needs people to give him money, and to get people to give him money he needs people to be aware of him. He could be utterly forgotten by the general public in a few years if people ignored him.
And you honestly think the few Christians (it isn't only evangelicals) who only hear about the ark from we nay sayers is going to make a difference? Really?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
So, just what is it you know about the Evangelical mindset that I don't? AND why does it make a difference?
Considering I used to be one, I know how they think, how they interpret the world, how the tend to interpret scripture, and rich first-hand experience as a full member and active participant. It makes a difference because that's the sub-culture I was raised in. Such a perspective is highly valued in fields such as anthropology.
And you honestly think the few Christians (it isn't only evangelicals) who only hear about the ark from we nay sayers is going to make a difference? Really?
This is a good example of what I'm getting at. I've explained how this stuff spreads. You can look at the numbers and see "a few" if you want, but it's not a few. People like Hamm are adored by Evangelicals - a model they should all strive to live up to. He'd be totally obscure outside of a handful of Evangelical circles, but people have unwittingly stirred up controversy throughout the Evangelical community as a whole. He inspires "a few" like Jack Chick inspired "a few."

Skwim

Veteran Member
Unless, as I suspect, Ken Ham has created something "too big to fail". At least for Kentucky.

He didn't invest any $100 million. Taxpayers and wealthy folk paid for that thing. And now, if their investment starts going down the drain they'll be pulling out the stops forking over yet more corporate welfare. Like Goldman-Sachs did a few years ago.
Tom
From what I could gather, 62% of the 100 million is financed by tax Increment financing granted by the City of Williamstown, Kentucky. 24% was raised by donations, and an undisclosed amount was made off of selling lifetime admission packages called “Boarding Passes,” And get this! $2 out of every pre-tax $100 dollars one makes as a Ark Park employee goes directly to paying off the for-profit Noah’s Ark attraction.
source

Last edited:

Skwim

Veteran Member
Considering I used to be one, I know how they think, how they interpret the world, how the tend to interpret scripture, and rich first-hand experience as a full member and active participant.

Sorry, but I don't consider your background germane to the point.

It makes a difference because that's the sub-culture I was raised in. Such a perspective is highly valued in fields such as anthropology.
This hardly demonstrates why it makes a difference. You've simply repeated your background.

This is a good example of what I'm getting at. I've explained how this stuff spreads. You can look at the numbers and see "a few" if you want, but it's not a few.
I disagree.

Jumi

Looks like a fun place to go to, a couple of prices of admission probably won't keep them afloat though...

Bob the Unbeliever

As usual, you are reluctant to take in the perspective of someone who knows the Evangelical mindset. .

I grew up in the cult known as "Assembly's Of God". A more depraved cult you cannot find in America that isn't a simple Cult Of One Personality.

These people believe in literal magic, and can be seen jerking around under it's influence (they never call it dancing, which is a horrific sin worse, by far, than murder... and in that cult? Rape never happens, the woman is *always* the only one guilty, because boys will be boys).

Horrible, horrible people, really.

BUT. And it's not even a big but-- these people are a Minority Report. They only represent a small (but vocal) fraction of Christianity.

Good for Secularism. Bad for Christianity, though-- they paint with a larger brush than they represent.

I do remember as a child, whenever encountering non AG Christians?

My cult was always looked down on, as 'weird' and 'quirky'. The best was 'quaint'. In truth? Bat-sh-- Crazy is too kind...

Bob the Unbeliever

So do Southern Baptists and most other Evangelicals.
0046_05.gif

0046_06.gif

That is one of the saddest and funniest Chick Tracts I ever saw. Back in the day, I used to read those horrible things-- I think they helped me to lose my faith, though. The exact opposite of what they intended.

Come to think of it? I'm glad I read those dumb things-- they helped turn me into an atheist.

QuestioningMind

Controversy sells. Bill Nye is a doofus because he basically funnels money into the coffers of AiG.
And how proud of yourself are you for filling the stereotyped role an atheist who is obsessed with religion and bashing it? And given the current climate where Conservatives are loosing social power and control the best thing to do is just ignore things that are of their own private use that really isn't going to serve or cater to anyone who isn't already interested. There is school curriculum and public policy to protect from them, but areas where it's "whatever" just leave them be.

If this 'museum' wasn't sucking up state tax dollars, I agree that it's best to ignore them.