• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Probability Problem for Fun

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Suppose you have a round table with a radius of 20 inches. There's a bottle on the table, but you don't know exactly on which spot. However, you know that the bottle has an equal probability of being on any spot on the table.

You can only reach 10 inches in with your hand such that you stop right on the edge of the smaller circle, like this:

mahima-concentric-circles-08-1606988260.png

If you wear a blindfold and encircle the table while reaching for the bottle, what is the probability that it will be within your reach?

Daemon Sophic

It’s about area. The area of the smaller (10 inch radius circle) is 100pi. The overall circle (20 inches in radius) is 400pi.
But I can’t reach the 100pi area smaller circle, thus the remaining area I can reach is 300pi. The ratio of areas is thus 3:1. (i.e, I can get to 75% of the total table area).

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
i have my answer, but i don't know how to post a spoiler ;)
You write the word "spoiler" within a set of square brackets. These doodlybobs: [ ]

You do not need to even use a closing spoiler but if you want to write something afterwards type [/ and then "spoiler" and then your other bracket ].

No spaces or other punctuation in it.

Jedster

Removing the limitation, the probability is 1. Introducing the limitation reduces the touchable area by 1/4, hence the probability is 1 - 1/4 = 3/4. QED(?)

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
The correct answer is indeed 75%! The area of the annulus, which is the region between the two concentric circles, represents 75% of the total area of the table (i.e., the bigger circle) in this case.

images

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
The correct answer is indeed 75%! The area of the annulus, which is the region between the two concentric circles, represents 75% of the total area of the table (i.e., the bigger circle) in this case.

images

When I drove a tractor or farm machine around and around a square or rectangular field, I tried to calculate (in my head) when I was half done. It killed the time. I remember aworking for a neighbour on a half section (half mile by one mile) field that had no sloughs, nor rocks, nothing. It was boring, and took about 2 8 hour days. The machinery in those days was smaller.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
When I drove a tractor or farm machine around and around a square or rectangular field, I tried to calculate (in my head) when I was half done. It killed the time. I remember aworking for a neighbour on a half section (half mile by one mile) field that had no sloughs, nor rocks, nothing. It was boring, and took about 2 8 hour days. The machinery in those days was smaller.

Ah... sections and townships and acres and rods and chains and fathoms and..