• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Presidential debate schedule

Has watching a TV political debate ever influenced or changed your voting choice?

• Yes

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • No

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Possibly

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Don't know

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
First one starts tonight, at Cleveland.

Scheduled debates

First presidential debate: Tuesday, September 29, 9-10:30 PM ET

TV: Major broadcast networks and cable news channels

Online: ABC · CBSN ·CSPAN

Format: Six 15-minute segments: The Trump and Biden Records, The Supreme Court, Covid-19, The Economy, Race and Violence in our Cities, The Integrity of the Election

Moderator: Chris Wallace

Candidates: Joe Biden (D), Donald Trump (R)

First vice presidential debate: Wednesday, October 7, 9-10:30 PM ET

Format: Nine segments of approximately 10 minutes each.

Moderator: Susan Page

Candidates: Kamala Harris (D), Mike Pence (R)

Second presidential debate: Thursday, October 15, 9-10:30 PM ET

Format: Town meeting. Questions will come from uncommitted local voters.

Moderator: Steve Scully

Third presidential debate: Thursday, October 22, 9-10:30 PM ET

Format: Six segments of approximately 15 minutes each on major topics to be selected by the moderator and announced at least one week before the debate.

Moderator: Kristen Welker

Are debates even useful? That is, do they tell us anything that the voters don't already know? Do they ever really change anybody's mind?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Debates....
They never reveal any new info.
All we see are "gotcha" moments, pandering, & emotional manipulation.
People who watch them either relish the competition (hoping their
candidate will grind the other under a boot heel), or hope for a feeling
to guide their ill considered vote.....IMO.

Last edited:

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member

Are debates even useful? That is, do they tell us anything that the voters don't already know? Do they ever really change anybody's mind?

The debates won't change my vote. I've already voted early.

At the presidential level, I have not had a debate change my mind on who to vote for. And I've been voting since 1984.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Debates....

Pretty much agree. I voted 'yes', since we have some panel shows here where politicians debate topics, etc, and they can be informative.

But they're not the grandstanding types of debates I suspect this is really talking about.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Pretty much agree. I voted 'yes', since we have some panel shows here where politicians debate topics, etc, and they can be informative.

But they're not the grandstanding types of debates I suspect this is really talking about.
That would be far superior to what we have,
which is a competition, rather than exploration
of views.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

Debates in general? Certainly yes, especially at lower levels, and especially when the voters get to choose between more than 2 viable candidates.

For me, there are 3 parties I generally feel comfortable voting for based on their policy positions. In an election year where I'm not voting strategically, the performance of an individual candidate or leader in a debate can definitely get me to shift within these parties.

And in my town, we each get to vote for 5 candidates for town councillor. Typically, 10-15 people run. I may have my top 1 or 2 picks set, but the all-candidates debate is usually critical for me to decide on the other 3-4 spots on my ballot.

... but for the US presidential election? Yeah... as a debate, it's pretty useless. It seems to me that it's mostly about generating sound bites that can be used in news stories political ads and not so much about the debate itself.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Debates....
People don't want to be bored by politics. They want to be entertained. That's why a clown can win.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Yep. And so do you.
Me, not so much, my "funny" rating is still trailing "like" and "winner".
Cartoon characters seldom ever win office.
OIP.Ed__YU4ziwnWOiyRDnHpZgHaFj

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

I personally think the debates today are useless as talking about issues and policy is pretty much ignored with poo flinging placed in its stead.

Trump and Biden will do nothing useful except fling poo at each other.

The rest of us spectators will be eating popcorn and drinking beer with the zeal and disposition of your typical tailgating NFL fan entering the stadium after the pre game party.

wandering peacefully

Which way to the woods?

No, they do not influence me unless it's the state level because they are one of the only ways to see the skills of whoever is running.

Presidential debates are not really debates anymore. Just more advertising of ideas none of them will actually accomplish.

Tonight's get together is certainly going to be made for tv non-reality show. No real debate, just a big yelling and insulting and accusation session.

It should really be disgusting. Don't know if I can stomach it but will try.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
No, they do not influence me unless it's the state level because they are one of the only ways to see the skills of whoever is running.

Presidential debates are not really debates anymore. Just more advertising of ideas none of them will actually accomplish.

Tonight's get together is certainly going to be made for tv non-reality show. No real debate, just a big yelling and insulting and accusation session.

It should really be disgusting. Don't know if I can stomach it but will try.
You ought to check on how debates were done in the past compared to how it is done today.