• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Preliminary DNA results are in.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
My y-DNA (paternal) haplogroup is T. Haplogroup T (Y-chromosomal DNA) - Eupedia Essentially this says it is pretty rare in Europe. Though oddly, Thomas Jefferson, who had British ancestry was T.The map does a good job of showing its distribution and concentrations. It's mostly concentrated in Southern Europe and Western Asia.

My mt-DNA, maternal haplogroup, is HV4. Haplogroup HV (mtDNA) - Eupedia The map on this page shows its distribution.

My preliminary ancestry composition, which is subject to refinement by the lab, is:

DNA chart.png

This shows I actually have more Middle Eastern and North African DNA (12.9%) than I do Northern European (1.2%). This really does bear out Italian and Sicilian archaeology, linguistics and anthropology. But overall I'm predominately European.

And no, I am not changing my name to Hannibal and worshiping Ba'al. :D

In all seriousness, I'm not sure I'd share this with my racist and bigoted family. It's one thing to pay lip service that Sicily and southern Italy were colonized, invaded and settled by everyone who was anyone, as my family does, but it's quite another thing to see in living color who your ancestors are. 23andme.com does advise treading lightly in revealing ancestry. Some family members might not want to have their world rocked, others (like me) are genuinely curious and may even be excited. I'll ask them if they want to know.

And while on the face of it this shows I have probably about as much Germanic DNA as Anwar Sadat had (whom I'm probably more closely related to :D) this really does kind of put a face on my forebears. Now I know who many of them probably were. And that's very Heathen. ;)

Stay tuned for further developments as the lab finalizes the tests.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Lol. I'm sure I have more Northern European ancestry than you. My European heritage is just Germanic and Celtic. :D

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Oh, and I have 2.9% Neanderthal DNA. The average European has 2.7%. So I can blame being short and stocky on them. :rolleyes:

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
How does one get a DNA test?

There are a couple of companies that do it. I used 23andme.com. There is Family Tree DNA and Ancestry.com. 23andme is $99. You order the kit, register it on line when you get it, spit in the vial they send, seal it up, send it back pre-paid, then wait a few weeks. They keep your account on the site updated.They say 4-6 weeks for a turnaround, but I sent mine back on 3/17, they started processing it on 3/20, and I got the preliminary results today.

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
My y-DNA (paternal) haplogroup is T. Haplogroup T (Y-chromosomal DNA) - Eupedia Essentially this says it is pretty rare in Europe. Though oddly, Thomas Jefferson, who had British ancestry was T.The map does a good job of showing its distribution and concentrations. It's mostly concentrated in Southern Europe and Western Asia.

My mt-DNA, maternal haplogroup, is HV4. Haplogroup HV (mtDNA) - Eupedia The map on this page shows its distribution.

My preliminary ancestry composition, which is subject to refinement by the lab, is:

View attachment 8806

This shows I actually have more Middle Eastern and North African DNA (12.9%) than I do Northern European (1.2%). This really does bear out Italian and Sicilian archaeology, linguistics and anthropology. But overall I'm predominately European.

And no, I am not changing my name to Hannibal and worshiping Ba'al. :D

In all seriousness, I'm not sure I'd share this with my racist and bigoted family. It's one thing to pay lip service that Sicily and southern Italy were colonized, invaded and settled by everyone who was anyone, as my family does, but it's quite another thing to see in living color who your ancestors are. 23andme.com does advise treading lightly in revealing ancestry. Some family members might not want to have their world rocked, others (like me) are genuinely curious and may even be excited. I'll ask them if they want to know.

And while on the face of it this shows I have probably about as much Germanic DNA as Anwar Sadat had (whom I'm probably more closely related to :D) this really does kind of put a face on my forebears. Now I know who many of them probably were. And that's very Heathen. ;)

Stay tuned for further developments as the lab finalizes the tests.
Interesting. This actually doesn't mean you're not Germanic, it just means you're descended from the ones who went waaaay down south.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Interesting. This actually doesn't mean you're not Germanic, it just means you're descended from the ones who went waaaay down south.

True indeed. The map shows a light concentration of both haplogroups in northern Europe. Both of my haplogroups originated in the Near East 10,000 - 20,000 years ago then spread out. Something I learned recently in doing all this that shocks the poop out of people is that there is East Asian/Native American DNA in Iceland. It was discovered that the Icelanders that returned to Iceland from North America took Native American wives with them. People sure do get around.

Awoon

There are a couple of companies that do it. I used 23andme.com. There is Family Tree DNA and Ancestry.com. 23andme is $99. You order the kit, register it on line when you get it, spit in the vial they send, seal it up, send it back pre-paid, then wait a few weeks. They keep your account on the site updated.They say 4-6 weeks for a turnaround, but I sent mine back on 3/17, they started processing it on 3/20, and I got the preliminary results today.

Thanks.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Europeans are the only ones with Neanderthal DNA. African-descended people don't have any.

That's not necessarily true.

Welcome Africans to the Neanderthal family - latimes

It now appears that some sub-Saharan Africans do have Neanderthal-derived DNA nestled in their genomes. An article this week in New Scientist magazine reports that some members ofKhoisan tribes in southern Africa turn out to have genes in common with southern Europeans.

Some of those genes may be traceable to modern Eurasians making whoopee with Neanderthals. Apparently some Eurasians migrated to eastern Africa 3,000 years ago, in what New Scientist calls “humanity’s unexpected U-turn.” Their descendants later migrated south.