• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Precepts of a Peaceful Warrior

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
I found this awhile ago and would like to share it. I thought Philosophy would be the best place for it, of not please move. But I love this right here because I see myself as a Warrior and this is good Precepts to live by:

The martial arts have always been deeply rooted in Buddhism and Taoist practice. This is evident in the warrior codes, precepts and tenants of the various martial arts traditions. The following precepts are combined from the various warrior mind philosophies that I have been taught during the 28 years of my training in martial arts. The original sources are unknown to me. When I am often questioned about the violence and negative karma that may be generated by training in an art of war, I find myself reflecting back to these words that I have learned to keep close to my heart. These words that remind me, that the martial arts, although translated literally to mean "the art of war", is truly an art of peace.

The Warrior strives to reach above himself, his false perceptions, his adversaries... His highest achievement is not one of victory, but one of absolute truth.

A warrior, once a warrior, will always be a warrior.
A warrior is the epitome of controlled compassion & controlled violence.
A warrior speaks from the pure heart and mind, transcending the ego.
A warrior is one of great discipline.
A warrior is a man of few words, refraining from speaking without reason.
A warrior has not the luxury for excuses.
A warrior recognizes the differences between the meaningful & trivial.
A warrior can never afford fear, he lives in poverty of fear.
A warrior learns how to defend before the attack.
A warrior continues to develop the skills of his trade without end.
A warrior seeks unity of mind, body, & spirit.
A warrior understands the merits of compassion.
A warrior pursues a knowledge of all things, regardless of nature.
A warrior's profession is war, his product is peace.
A warrior integrates the practice of truth within all his day to day activities.
A warrior sees the truth within himself, within his adversaries, within the world.
A warrior is not separate from all things, but strives to flow as one with all things.
A warrior is as water taking the shape of its container.
A warrior places the lives of those innocent & weak above himself.
A warrior knows pain, sadness, joy, & solitude.

Have compassion for all beings, causing them no unnecessary hurt, nor needless harm.

Refrain from needless competitiveness, from contriving for self-advantage, and from subjugating others.

When accepting authority over others, know also that you accept responsibility for their well being.

Value true friendship, and fulfill your obligations, rather than striving with egotistical motive.

Seek liberation from the negative passions of hatred, envy, greed and rage, and especially from delusion, deceit and sensory desire.

Learn to let go of that which cannot be owned, or which is destroyed by grasping.

Seek the courage to be; defend yourself, and your convictions.

Accept transience, the inevitable and the irrevocable. Know that change exists in everything. Negate the barriers to your awakening; discover the positive in the negative, and seek a meaningful purpose in what you do.

Be just and honorable; take pride in what you do, rather than being proud of what you have accomplished.

Having humility and respect, give thanks to those from whom you learn, or who have otherwise helped you.

Act in harmony with your fellow beings, with nature, and with inanimate objects.

Know that a thing or an action which may seem of little value to oneself, may be a priceless treasure to another.

Help those who are suffering or disadvantaged, and as you yourself become awakened, help those who seek to make real their own potential.

Know that there is no shame in questioning.

Be diligent in your practice, and on hearing the music of the absolute, do not be so foolish as to try to sing its song.

Remember to renew the source, in order to retain good health.

Seek neither brilliance nor the void; just think deeply, and work hard.

When still, be as the mountain; when in movement be as the dragon riding the wind.

Be aware at all times, like the tiger which only seems to sleep, and at all times let the mind be like running water.

When you are required to act, remember that right motive is essential to right action, just as right thought is essential to right words.

Beware of creating burdens for yourself or others to carry.

Act with necessary distinction, being both creative and receptive, and transcending subject/object dichotomy.

Know that you are not the center of the universe, but learn to put the universe at your center by accepting the instant of your being.

Seek security within yourself, rather than in others.

Know that even great worldly wealth, and the accumulation of material things are of little worth, compared with the priceless treasures; love, peace and the freedom to grow.

Allow yourself to be, so that your life may become a time of blossoming.

– Ch'onsa Kim

Ozzie

I found this awhile ago and would like to share it. I thought Philosophy would be the best place for it, of not please move. But I love this right here because I see myself as a Warrior and this is good Precepts to live by:

The martial arts have always been deeply rooted in Buddhism and Taoist practice. This is evident in the warrior codes, precepts and tenants of the various martial arts traditions. The following precepts are combined from the various warrior mind philosophies that I have been taught during the 28 years of my training in martial arts. The original sources are unknown to me. When I am often questioned about the violence and negative karma that may be generated by training in an art of war, I find myself reflecting back to these words that I have learned to keep close to my heart. These words that remind me, that the martial arts, although translated literally to mean "the art of war", is truly an art of peace.

The Warrior strives to reach above himself, his false perceptions, his adversaries... His highest achievement is not one of victory, but one of absolute truth.

A warrior, once a warrior, will always be a warrior.
A warrior is the epitome of controlled compassion & controlled violence.
A warrior speaks from the pure heart and mind, transcending the ego.
A warrior is one of great discipline.
A warrior is a man of few words, refraining from speaking without reason.
A warrior has not the luxury for excuses.
A warrior recognizes the differences between the meaningful & trivial.
A warrior can never afford fear, he lives in poverty of fear.
A warrior learns how to defend before the attack.
A warrior continues to develop the skills of his trade without end.
A warrior seeks unity of mind, body, & spirit.
A warrior understands the merits of compassion.
A warrior pursues a knowledge of all things, regardless of nature.
A warrior's profession is war, his product is peace.
A warrior integrates the practice of truth within all his day to day activities.
A warrior sees the truth within himself, within his adversaries, within the world.
A warrior is not separate from all things, but strives to flow as one with all things.
A warrior is as water taking the shape of its container.
A warrior places the lives of those innocent & weak above himself.
A warrior knows pain, sadness, joy, & solitude.

Have compassion for all beings, causing them no unnecessary hurt, nor needless harm.

Refrain from needless competitiveness, from contriving for self-advantage, and from subjugating others.

When accepting authority over others, know also that you accept responsibility for their well being.

Value true friendship, and fulfill your obligations, rather than striving with egotistical motive.

Seek liberation from the negative passions of hatred, envy, greed and rage, and especially from delusion, deceit and sensory desire.

Learn to let go of that which cannot be owned, or which is destroyed by grasping.

Seek the courage to be; defend yourself, and your convictions.

Accept transience, the inevitable and the irrevocable. Know that change exists in everything. Negate the barriers to your awakening; discover the positive in the negative, and seek a meaningful purpose in what you do.

Be just and honorable; take pride in what you do, rather than being proud of what you have accomplished.

Having humility and respect, give thanks to those from whom you learn, or who have otherwise helped you.

Act in harmony with your fellow beings, with nature, and with inanimate objects.

Know that a thing or an action which may seem of little value to oneself, may be a priceless treasure to another.

Help those who are suffering or disadvantaged, and as you yourself become awakened, help those who seek to make real their own potential.

Know that there is no shame in questioning.

Be diligent in your practice, and on hearing the music of the absolute, do not be so foolish as to try to sing its song.

Remember to renew the source, in order to retain good health.

Seek neither brilliance nor the void; just think deeply, and work hard.

When still, be as the mountain; when in movement be as the dragon riding the wind.

Be aware at all times, like the tiger which only seems to sleep, and at all times let the mind be like running water.

When you are required to act, remember that right motive is essential to right action, just as right thought is essential to right words.

Beware of creating burdens for yourself or others to carry.

Act with necessary distinction, being both creative and receptive, and transcending subject/object dichotomy.

Know that you are not the center of the universe, but learn to put the universe at your center by accepting the instant of your being.

Seek security within yourself, rather than in others.

Know that even great worldly wealth, and the accumulation of material things are of little worth, compared with the priceless treasures; love, peace and the freedom to grow.

Allow yourself to be, so that your life may become a time of blossoming.

– Ch'onsa Kim

Did you know Akazel I did not have to read the entire post to find truth in what you wrote. The first 3-4 lines are enough imperative to conquer the enemy. The rest remains as a reminder that the greatest and most elusive enemy to conquer is oneself. In that I agree with what you wrote 100%.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
I hate to be the lone dissenter here, but I disagree with the glorification of war or fighting. I think it odd that you can replace warrior with just about anything in there: monk, politician or dufus and it retains most all of the "truth".

Soldiers and warriors can be noble in and of themselves: it's not the profession that makes it so. That such a profession exists and needs to exist is resounding condemnation of our society. War is hell. Those who prosecute it are the angels of Satan. Those who resist the aggressors oppose evil and all it stands for: including war.

Ozzie

I hate to be the lone dissenter here, but I disagree with the glorification of war or fighting. I think it odd that you can replace warrior with just about anything in there: monk, politician or dufus and it retains most all of the "truth".
I wouldn't describe yourself as a dissenter. I think you agree with the OP. Denial of the use of all those tools perfected in practice must be a great leveller.

Soldiers and warriors can be noble in and of themselves: it's not the profession that makes it so. That such a profession exists and needs to exist is resounding condemnation of our society. War is hell. Those who prosecute it are the angels of Satan. Those who resist the aggressors oppose evil and all it stands for: including war
. Conquering oneself does make one either an angel of Satan, nor an advocate of war.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
If you haven't already read it, I'd suggest you check out The Book of Five Rings by Miyamoto Musashi. It's an instructive text written by a self-taught 17th-Century Japanese sword master and very much in the vein of what you posted here.

Scuba Pete

I don't believe that the current war is being fought "hand to hand" or with a sword. We have entered an era of techno-war. Gone is the need for martial arts to protect our country.

The code of the soldier is that of the police man: to protect and serve. Violence begets violence. We need to learn to BREAK our dependence on violence.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Violence begets violence. We need to learn to BREAK our dependence on violence.

Amen Brother!:)

And what is the absolute truth ?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I don't believe that the current war is being fought "hand to hand" or with a sword. We have entered an era of techno-war. Gone is the need for martial arts to protect our country.
You may not need to protect your country with your swordsmanship, but mental discipline is still needed.

I consider myself quite non-violent, but I got quite a bit out of kendo training.

I do think that martial arts are one of the best ways to teach certain things that can be applied in all facets of life. Focusing on the "martial" part can sometimes be like focusing on the iron content in the filings you sprinkle to see a magnetic field... both are only the mechanism to show you the important things that you are interested in.

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da

The code of the soldier is that of the police man: to protect and serve. Violence begets violence. We need to learn to BREAK our dependence on violence.

I agree that the War of these day are really bad, but a Warrior does not need to fight a Physical War, but a one of the Mind can do just as much damage to your enemy if not more. If you like at my OP it never said Physical war, though that is the most common type true. Maybe deep down I live in the past in the why I think with my Code of Honor and the Percepts.

Scuba Pete

but a one of the Mind can do just as much damage to your enemy if not more.
Why have any enemies? The worst (and best) thing you can do for your enemy is to love them. Just as the pen is mightier than the sword, there is GREAT power in being friends and in loving each other. There is no need to destroy when all are working for the common good!

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
Why have any enemies? The worst (and best) thing you can do for your enemy is to love them. Just as the pen is mightier than the sword, there is GREAT power in being friends and in loving each other. There is no need to destroy when all are working for the common good!

Thing is though every one as enemies of some kind. Weather you love them or defeat them some will still wish to be your enemy no matter what. At time love is not going to save you and those you care about from those enemies, as said as it is this is the world, this is what it mean to be what we are, To live and to survive is what all living things what, a Warrior knows what it takes to make it about, but also when to do it, when to not, when to use word and not physical means, and when physical means are the only way.

Scuba Pete

Then you don't understand the true power of love. Violence is never an acceptable solution.

I would suggest that you will be disposed to use the solution you train for. If you train for war, then war becomes a primary solution (look at Shrub). If you train for love, then it will become your primary defense.

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
Then you don't understand the true power of love. Violence is never an acceptable solution.

I would suggest that you will be disposed to use the solution you train for. If you train for war, then war becomes a primary solution (look at Shrub). If you train for love, then it will become your primary defense.

And you don't seem to understand the Way of a Warrior. To be ready for anything in any way one can. One trains one Body, Mind, and Soul to be ready to fight when one need to, but the first rule is to all was find a way to win without fighting, did you miss that. One trains ti fight only to be ready when it is needed, and sadly in this would it is needed. This Code, these percept don't seem to true work in this world to day the way it is and it saddens me, my way of thinking for the most part is Old school(for me being as young as I am). And do note that I understand love is powerful, but like all thing is not perfect and can't be used every where, you must know when is the right time to love and the right time to fight for you life.

And I'm off to work, don't want to make it seem like I'm not answering.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Got it from a friend about 4 years ago, I've read it like 5 times. Good book.
I thought so. :)

I think the "warrior" mindset that Azakel describes is more about standing firm for your beliefs and doing what is necessary to accomplish what you think is good, right and just, regardless of personal cost. Violence is not a necessary part of it.

If I were to assume that the primary solution to all of life's problems was the one that that I trained for, I'd approach every problem in life by whacking it with a bamboo pole. So far, this has not proved to be the case. :D

Scuba Pete

And you don't seem to understand the Way of a Warrior.
It's not that I don't "understand it", it's that I reject the need for it.
To be ready for anything in any way one can. One trains one Body, Mind, and Soul to be ready to fight when one need to,
But there is never a need for violence. I have no problem with conditioning, but not for fighting.

I Timothy 4:8 For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come.
NIV

To quote the Beetles: All you need is love!

Scuba Pete

Martial arts training is only for fighting in the same way that yoga is only for twisting yourself up into weird shapes.
Which explains the plethora of "Yoga Movies" such as "Jet Lotus", "Enter the Yoga Master", or (my favorite) Yoga Kid II.

When we glorify fighting, we not only show our acceptance of it, but lend it our tacit approval as well. The appeal of the wrestler/fighter/warrior in our age is a direct result of the disenfranchised who do not feel in control of their destiny.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Which explains the plethora of "Yoga Movies" such as "Jet Lotus", "Enter the Yoga Master", or (my favorite) Yoga Kid II.
Consider the media portrayals of things close to you: are they always accurate or true to their spirit?

When we glorify fighting, we not only show our acceptance of it, but lend it our tacit approval as well.
And martial arts training and "the way of the warrior", when approached and understood properly, does not glorify fighting.