• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Praying to the deities of the Gohonzon

agorman

Premium Member
(I don't know if "Praying" is the right word) Am I right if I say that repeating the Daimoku releases energy from your true self (a buddha) which causes the deities written in the Gohonzon to use that energy to help you? Does that process eventually lead to enlightenment because you realize that you're much more than a material body?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
(I don't know if "Praying" is the right word) Am I right if I say that repeating the Daimoku releases energy from your true self (a buddha) which causes the deities written in the Gohonzon to use that energy to help you? Does that process eventually lead to enlightenment because you realize that you're much more than a material body?

I still have my Gohonzon. These links may help you out

Who's Who on the Gohonzon
What/who each character/word means/is

I don't know if you have bias with Shoshu, Shu, and SGI but these are all around links you can read in the Gosho and The Lotus Sutra.

Nichiren Shoshu says when you pray to the Gohonzon, the energy or Buddha nature from the actual scroll will change your life towards being a buddha. As for deities, when I practiced at their temple, they were more concerned with how you chant (not pray), when, what order, when to face the Gohonzon, and other formal practices.

SGI is on the other spectrum. It's more mentor centered. An actual organization. They believe they get energy from the Gohonzon too but not directly from the scroll. As for deities, they get translation from their mentor about the deities on the scroll. So chanting Daimoku is chanting to the deities.

The sect you'd be more close to is Nichiren Shu. Their foundation is from The Buddha himself, the deities on the scroll, study of sutras, and gosho.

I used to study the different deities on the Gohonzon and see who and what exactly am I chanting to. You can get energy from the deities just from a Nichiren Shonin point of view in the gosho and sutras, don't use the Gohonzon as a "god".

The gosho says the energy (if one likes) is in Daimoku not the Gohonzon.

Buddhism is about you (Daimoku: giving reverence to karma/the laws of life that define you) not the Gohonzon (which is only a physical representation of Daimoku).

Don't treat the Gohonzon as a god, and you can chant and get energy however you like.

agorman

Premium Member
So do you think chanting Daimoku is in a way, as if I'd be recognizing once and again the Hermetic principles?

About SGI and chanting to the deities; that sounds like Tibetan Buddhism. The difference is, instead of chanting the mantra of a specific deity, I'd be asking for the help of all deities of the Gohonzon. BTW, I suppose the difference with paganism/polytheism is that you're not subjected to the deities as authorities, but Buddhist deities are masters that help you to release what is already in yourself?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
You said you're in Argentina? Here is an SGI Argentina website.
So do you think chanting Daimoku is in a way, as if I'd be recognizing once and again the Hermetic principles?

Hermetic is greek, right?

Honestly, no. If you want to follow Nichiren Buddhism specifically, Nichiren Shonin said only look to Daimoku (reverence to the Lotus Sutra) for guidance. The Gohonzon is a depiction of the Lotus Sutra. Buddhism wasn't in greece, so the connection isn't the same.

The deities on the sutra are indian and japanese deities. The sun goddess, moon goddess, bodhisattvas (which aren't deities), and various buddhas. It's called "the Ceremony in the Air."

Personally, I don't see how you can get energy from greek deities from a japanese and indian oriented religion, scroll, and practice; but, it is up to you. I'd probably read a bit of Nichiren's writings. Here's a good one: Entity of the Mystic Law. I don't support eclecticism, and if it works for you, go for it.

About SGI and chanting to the deities; that sounds like Tibetan Buddhism. The difference is, instead of chanting the mantra of a specific deity, I'd be asking for the help of all deities of the Gohonzon. BTW, I suppose the difference with paganism/polytheism is that you're not subjected to the deities as authorities, but Buddhist deities are masters that help you to release what is already in yourself?

Exactly. I haven't heard it expressed like this before.

All Buddha's teachings come from Tibetan. I can't remember how Mahayana relates to Tibetan Buddhism but I know there should be a connection.

The Lotus Sutra is a summary of the Mahayana Suttras. The Gohonzon is a summary of the Lotus Sutra. Diamoku is a summary mantra of their devotion to the Lotus.

I think only Nichiren Shu pays attention to the deities. Shoshu and SGI (SGI was part of Shoshu) doesn't recognize them separately. When you chant to the Gohonzon, yes, you are chanting to all the deities.

Here is a good site I get inspiration from from time to time: Zenzai Zenzai Nichiren Shu created daily quotes from the Lotus and Gosho with commentary of their meaning and significance. You can get inspiration from the deities just by knowing more about them.

Mahayana Buddhism is about bodhisattvas not deities, though. The deities on the Gohonzon are Japanese. Most of the people on their are bodhisattvas.

Short answer, sorry: Yes, you can chant to ask for help from the deities. Nichiren Shonin refers to the deities more specifically the bodhisattvas for help. He just teaches us about the Lotus via what The Buddha and bodhisattvas taught in their time period.

Polytheism is belief in multiple deities. So, if you believe in multiple deities on the gohonzon (Japanese deities), yes, that's polytheism. I read that bodhisattvas and deities mirror the human conditions. They are not like the god of abraham. So, keep that in mind that Indian view of deities is completely different than western view.

agorman

Premium Member
Carlita, thanks for your useful answers! Yes, I know SGI is also present here in Argentina, but I'm still reluctant of joining a religious group/cult/church/club/whatever.

About the Hermetic principles I wasn't actually referring to something exclusively Greek, but specifically to the 6th principle of the Kybalion.

Personally, I don't see how you can get energy from greek deities from a japanese and indian oriented religion, scroll, and practice

If you think about it, all ancient cultures worshipped the spirits of the planets. They called them with different names and had different myths; sometimes the genders of the gods were different (Amaterasu and Sunna are female, Apollo is male, etc.) but they considered every planet had a spirit. And I believe that too :). Anyway I think mixing gods of different cultures on the same altar brings confusion.