• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prayer

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Does God require us to pray?
And if so, why?

This is for anyone of any religion to discuss/debate.

Acintya_Ash

Bhakta
And if so, why?
I don't think God wants anything. He is blissful in himself. And God being the reservoir of love and grace is always eager to shower it upon his children(the jivas) (I think that may multiply his bliss not sure though). And if we connect ourselves with God through prayer or meditation we receive it but not fully. The stronger we grow spiritually the stronger we receive it and it has no end because God's love is infinite and his grace is unfathomable. So desire to aspire for the higher taste
in this human form of life there's no time to waste.

Chant Hare Krishna and be happy!
Ash

Kolibri

The shortest verse I know of in the Bible is merely 2 or 3 words in English. 1 Thessalonians 5:17.

The King James Version says: "Pray without ceasing."
The New World Translation (2013 Revision) says: "Pray constantly."

However the Bible also says that there are some prayers that are welcomed and others that are ignored.

Isaiah 1:15 reads (according to the NWT 2013 Revision): "And when you spread out your palms, I hide my eyes from you. Although you offer many prayers, I am not listening; Your hands are filled with blood."
The following verses show how the reader could again gain a favorable ear from this God.

I realize belatedly I did not answer the "why?" yet.

Kolibri

Why Pray? There are many reasons. Here is one passage that comes to mind relating to some whys.

Philippians 4:6,7 (NWT 2013 Revision): "Do not be anxious over anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication along with thanksgiving, let your petitions be made known to God; and the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and your mental powers (or "your minds; your thoughts.") by means of Christ Jesus."

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
I honestly don't think God requires anything, really.

Maybe God doesn't want prayer or ritual done in his/her name. However, we certainly do.

rusra02

Premium Member
Yes,I believe the true God wants us to pray to him and him alone. (Matthew 4:10) Prayer is respectfully talking to Jehovah, and it his will that we do so. How could we draw close to a person without speaking to them? (James 4:8) Further, God requires that we approach him through his Son, Jesus Christ. (John 16:23) Prayer to our Creator is a great privilege, IMO, and also a requirement if we want his friendship.

Kolibri

StarryNightshade,

I guess that might depend on how Madhuri meant the word "require." Does this mean "obligate" or "reliant on"? The God of the Bible certainly does not "need" our prayers. But we humans very well may "need" to pray.

Isaiah 48: 17, 18 says in part: "I, Jehovah, am your God, The One teaching you to benefit yourself, (or "for your own good.") The One guiding you in the way you should walk. If only you would pay attention to my commandments! Then your peace would become just like a river And your righteousness like the waves of the sea."

Last edited:

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I don't pray often.

But I do....almost spontaneously....turn about and wonder.

Like that car accident I 'felt' coming.
I would be dead had I not heeded the 'odd' feeling.

Like that episode with my wife's cancer.
I was stressed to the point I lost my speech for three days.
She recovered.....cancer free.

And lesser events come and go.
I will never be able to say there is no heaven.
So I do assume....prayer is heard.
What good is the speech if no one is listening?

(both sides by the way.....heaven and hell)

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
StarryNightshade,

I guess that might depend on how Madhuri meant the word "require." Does this mean "obligate" or "reliant on"? The God of the Bible certainly does not "need" our prayers. But we humans very well may "need" to pray.

As a Hindu, I agree with this. Quite frankly, God is God. I think s/he is way above our human pettiness. That being said, I do believe that we, in many ways, are reliant on God (whether we realize it or not). As such, I don't believe God needs our prayers, but the religiously inclined often need to pray.

seeking4truth

Prayer is one form of nourishment for the soul which is everlasting.
I'm sure you spend time every day taking care of your body through bathing, eating, exercising, sleeping etc. to keep yourself healthy. Yet your body is only a material thing and lasts, if your lucky about 80 years.
Your soul/spirit lives on, maybe everlasting, and if you want it to be healthy prayer is part of the 'spiritual'activities you need to keep doing. to allow it to develop and maintain health.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
And if so, why?
(from my non-dualistic viewpoint (God and creation are not-two)

I will go with 'No' on requiring. That said, prayer to higher beings though can benefit an individual's progress and I believe higher beings do respond to prayers.

Some people on the road to Self-Realization, (that it is all God and they are God), may ask if it is all God, then who is really praying to who? Their goal is to remove the illusion that they are a separate ego. The power to change their perspective is all within them and they don't need to supplicate to another illusory form.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
Prayer implies supplication. I believe the proper word is worship.
People never seem to remember the difference between these two words. I think the entire point of a god is to create something worshipful and utmost worthy of any praise. Hoomans have a tendency to degrade themselves and this could be a simple biological reason but who knows.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
And if so, why?

This is for anyone of any religion to discuss/debate.

I take prayer to mean meditation/contemplation. I don't suspect prayer benefits God any. Prayer benefits one's self. Sometimes when I pray I get answers. From God, from myself? I don't know but the benefit is there.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Prayer implies supplication. I believe the proper word is worship.
People never seem to remember the difference between these two words. I think the entire point of a god is to create something worshipful and utmost worthy of any praise. Hoomans have a tendency to degrade themselves and this could be a simple biological reason but who knows.
Sha'irullah, you are back again, Mr. anti-theist? You seemed to have changed though....have you become more hard-core? If so, why?

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
Sha'irullah, you are back again, Mr. anti-theist? You seemed to have changed though....have you become more hard-core? If so, why?

Yeah dude, I know. I started listening to all of this punk music then I got addicted to Hardcore Punk then it all just went on from there.
...Oh wait. You were talking about religion :D, my bad! Well considering that you have a Koala as your avatar I think you have gone softcore.

As for my anti-theism I am merely what I am. I used to be anti-religious now I am anti-theist and more so now than in the past. I have been a raging atheist for a good percent of my life I just never like letting people know about it. Plus I am not fond of the word but it is not so big of a deal now.
So yeah, don't mind me. I am just gonna rant against spiritualism and god like I usually do.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Prayer doesn't make much sense to me. Everything that happens (to the exact movement of an electron) has been determined to happen since the moment spacetime began. Nothing can change the will of nature, and nothing can change the will of God.

Prayer in regards to grace also makes no sense to me. You cannot show your grace any better than just living it out.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
Prayer doesn't make much sense to me. Everything that happens (to the exact movement of an electron) has been determined to happen since the moment spacetime began. Nothing can change the will of nature, and nothing can change the will of God.

Prayer in regards to grace also makes no sense to me. You cannot show your grace any better than just living it out.
I love how "Determined" you are ;)

ratikala

Istha gosthi
namaskaram

And if so, why?

Require us to pray ? .....No God needs nothing , but that is not to say that he is not pleased ,

...the next question then turns to the nature of prayer , and why that prayer should please the Lord ?

we all make very different prayers at different points in our lives , we may at some time ask for our material needs to be met , we may ask for sucess in some material aspect of our lives , we may pray for the wellbeing of freinds and family , or we may pray for some form of spiritual support and understanding . ...but which ever form our prayers take they will be pleasing to the Lord , as each time we pray we are maknig some kind of advance towards God whether it be for material support or for spiritual guidance , and for every step we make the lord will gladly recipricate , ....the stronger our commitment and sincerity the greater that reciprication will be , by praying we are entering into a relationship with the Lord , ..and this relationship is pleasing to the Lord .

and this reciprication we call mercy , however that mercy may not allways come in the form we intiialy in our ignorance had wished to receive , but may come in the form of answers that will help us to grow in understanding .

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
namaskaram

Require us to pray ? .....No God needs nothing , but that is not to say that he is not pleased ,

...the next question then turns to the nature of prayer , and why that prayer should please the Lord ?

we all make very different prayers at different points in our lives , we may at some time ask for our material needs to be met , we may ask for sucess in some material aspect of our lives , we may pray for the wellbeing of freinds and family , or we may pray for some form of spiritual support and understanding . ...but which ever form our prayers take they will be pleasing to the Lord , as each time we pray we are maknig some kind of advance towards God whether it be for material support or for spiritual guidance , and for every step we make the lord will gladly recipricate , ....the stronger our commitment and sincerity the greater that reciprication will be , by praying we are entering into a relationship with the Lord , ..and this relationship is pleasing to the Lord .

and this reciprication we call mercy , however that mercy may not allways come in the form we intiialy in our ignorance had wished to receive , but may come in the form of answers that will help us to grow in understanding .

The most inspiring thing I have heard all day on this forum. . . next to my own words, but still wonderful nonetheless. :)