• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prayer

Seconde

Hi All,

I don't know whether this is the right place to post this. I realised lately that Muslims pray with shoes on, some with shoes off. Some people perform cleaning (wudu - sorry if wrongly written) with socks off, some with socks on. Is it a big deal? or should all Muslims follow the same suit?

Peace

Quran & Sunnah
Peace be with you Seconde,

Yes, there is nothing wrong praying with one's shoes as long as they are clean and pure. However, that couldn't be done inside the mosque. Before enterning the mosque one must take his/her shoes off. One could pray with his/her shoes on if he/she is outside.

Concerning making wudu' with one socks on, it is permissible if one had his/her socks on while in a state of purity.
Wiping with wet hands on socks, instead of washing the feet, is permissible since there are occasions where it's hard take them off. So permission was granted by the Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, to wipe over them for a period of one day and night for a resident and three days and nights for a traveler. Doing that is also reviving a Sunnah of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him). It is making use of an allowance granted to us by the Law-giver and as the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said, “Allah loves people to make use of His allowances just as He loves them to comply with His commandments.”

The permission to pray with one's shoes on, or wipe on one's socks while performing wudu' is to bring comfort and ease to people.

Peace

Seconde

Hi Peace, again,

I've seen some Muslims wipe over socks when taking them off would not be a great hassle (ie they had lots of time, space, etc) also, the same ones roll their sleeves up during 'wudu'. Could they leave them down too if, say, their shirt is a bit tight?

Peace

Quran & Sunnah
Seconde said:
Hi Peace, again,

I've seen some Muslims wipe over socks when taking them off would not be a great hassle (ie they had lots of time, space, etc) also, the same ones roll their sleeves up during 'wudu'. Could they leave them down too if, say, their shirt is a bit tight?

Though having time to take off one's socks, wiping over them is permissible since our Prophet peace be upon him did that.
Concerning sleeves, no it's not permissible. one must roll them up in order to perform wudu'.

Peace

polite

Yes, that is permissible, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) prayed wearing his shoes. In al-Saheeh it is narrated that Abu Sa’eed said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) lead us in prayer whilst he was wearing his shoes, then he took them off [whilst still praying], and the people took their shoes off too. When the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said the Tasleem [at the end of the prayer], they said: “O Messenger of Allaah, you took off your shoes, so we took off our shoes too.” He said: “Jibreel came to me and told me that there was some dirt on them, so I took them off. When any one of you comes to the mosque, let him look at his shoes, and if he sees any dirt on them, let him wipe them. And they can be purified with dust.”

(Narrated by Abu Dawood, no. 650). The point here is that praying in shoes is permissible. It says in the hadeeth: “Be different from the Jews, pray wearing your slippers or shoes.” (Narrated by Abu Dawood, no. 652). But the condition is that the shoes must be taahir (pure, clean). If there is any najaasah (impurity) or dirt on the shoes, then one should not pray wearing them or enter the mosque in shoes, unless he is sure that they are free of impurity or dirt. And Allaah knows best

Salam Alakkum, I think one should pray as instructed in the Qur'an when its convinient but if your on a bus or a plane during prayer time then I see no problem with just bowing your head and praying.

john313

warrior-poet
Muslim Communist said:
Salam Alakkum, I think one should pray as instructed in the Qur'an when its convinient but if your on a bus or a plane during prayer time then I see no problem with just bowing your head and praying.
i agree, it is not meant to be a burden on us.

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Peace said:

Yes, there is nothing wrong praying with one's shoes as long as they are clean and pure. However, that couldn't be done inside the mosque. Before enterning the mosque one must take his/her shoes off. One could pray with his/her shoes on if he/she is outside.

Concerning making wudu' with one socks on, it is permissible if one had his/her socks on while in a state of purity.
Wiping with wet hands on socks, instead of washing the feet, is permissible since there are occasions where it's hard take them off. So permission was granted by the Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, to wipe over them for a period of one day and night for a resident and three days and nights for a traveler. Doing that is also reviving a Sunnah of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him). It is making use of an allowance granted to us by the Law-giver and as the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said, “Allah loves people to make use of His allowances just as He loves them to comply with His commandments.”

The permission to pray with one's shoes on, or wipe on one's socks while performing wudu' is to bring comfort and ease to people.

Peace
I read once that socks don't considered as shoes because we can't walk with them the same as shoes and they are not tough as shoes. Moreover, the word in arabic is "khoff" which means shoes that we walk with. Nevertheless, some scholars say that there is nothing wrong with socks because usually Muslims pray nowdays at Mosques but not anymore on plain ground or sand as before in the past.

john313

warrior-poet
peace,
i was thinking recently, during prayers we say muhammad's(pbuh) name in blessing him and his progeny and say he was the messenger of Allah. why do we do it? did muhammad(pbuh) say "i testify that i am the messenger of Allah"? or "please send blessings on me and my family"?

i think some weird things sometimes :)

peace, love, and burritos

In Surah Ahazb (33) we are exhorted to "shower blessings" on the Prophet (peace be upon Him).Being a Quranic injunction its strongly held to. Hence,I assume ,Its in the Salaat.

Apart from that , in prayer during the Tashahhud, we say "Allah s peace be upon you,O Prophet" as if we are addressing Him.It is an intimate moment during the involvement of the prayer.

All the best john 313

john313

warrior-poet
thank you for the reply, i was just trying to make people think, pointing out possible hypocrisy from those who claim to be hard-core "sunnah followers". those who point out minor variations/additions in the prayers of others as incorrect while, at the same time, making their own variations from the exact prayers of the prophets, which potentially varied a little from time to time.

i personally say it because i am referring to the "celestial muhammad", with all people being the "descendents".

peace, love, and pat benetar

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
john313 said:
peace,
i was thinking recently, during prayers we say muhammad's(pbuh) name in blessing him and his progeny and say he was the messenger of Allah. why do we do it? did muhammad(pbuh) say "i testify that i am the messenger of Allah"? or "please send blessings on me and my family"?

i think some weird things sometimes :)

peace, love, and burritos

Definitely, we didn't bring that up from our mind. Islam is preserved by God.

There is a "Sahih" hadith about this, i have the arabic one and i don't know how to get the translated one. I'll just try to translate it myself.

Abdullah bin Abbas "Muslims call him, the translator of the Quran", said that, prophet Mohammed was teaching us the (Tashahod) the same way he was teaching the Quran, and he was saying: al-tahayat al-mubarakat al-salawat altayibat lillah, salam upon you O prophet of Allah and upon ibad of Allah, i witness that there is no god but God, and Mohammed is the Messenger of allah.

The narrator is imam alshafi'i (page/number: 1/119).

john313

warrior-poet
i was not suggesting it was something someone just made up to do, i was just asking a simple question. and it has not been answered to my satisfaction.

peace

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
john313 said:
i was not suggesting it was something someone just made up to do, i was just asking a simple question. and it has not been answered to my satisfaction.

peace

I answered it already. Prophet Mohammed taught the Muslims how to pray step by step as i explained before in my last post proved by a sahih Hadith.

john313

warrior-poet
The Truth said:
I answered it already. Prophet Mohammed taught the Muslims how to pray step by step as i explained before in my last post proved by a sahih Hadith.

the quran tells us to make no difference between the prophets, why then is muhammad's name the one in there? if there is no difference, then we should be able to substitute any prophet's name right? if we are unwilling to substitute another prophet's name, are we saying the quran is wrong when it says there is no difference between them? by refusing to exchange the names, we are acknowledging difference between them.
i am not trying to be a jerk or anything, i am just trying to understand and separate truth from falsehood.
any thoughts?

peace

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
john313 said:
the quran tells us to make no difference between the prophets, why then is muhammad's name the one in there? if there is no difference, then we should be able to substitute any prophet's name right? if we are unwilling to substitute another prophet's name, are we saying the quran is wrong when it says there is no difference between them? by refusing to exchange the names, we are acknowledging difference between them.
i am not trying to be a jerk or anything, i am just trying to understand and separate truth from falsehood.
any thoughts?

peace

It's ok. No problem to discuss it. :)

I agree with you that all of them are the same in front of God and we must believe the same thing but you can't generalize into this issue. That's because Mohammed sent to us as the last prophet and you know well that when someone wants to be a muslim he will bare witness tht there is no god but God and Mohammed is the apostle of Allah.

Why can't we just say, and Moses is the apostle of Allah?

This is somthing releated to this final message and prophet Mohammed is a crucial part in it. Moses was for that particulr message, Jesus for his own people as well and Mohammed for the last message to us.

So simple.

yousaf

imaam abu hanifa says that to be able to perform whhudu on a sock it must be a strong thick sock and it must not have nay holes if has more than a certain size then you cannot perform whudu on them but the best (socks ) to pperform whudu on are the khuffain

nuaeman

Seem like people misunderstood when we mention Muhammad (saw) name. I'm haven't notice any mistakes from what Tashan says. Its correct no difference between the prophets but we refer to Muhammad because he is the last prophet send By Allah and at the same time we still respect and believe the previous prophets. I think this is really simple to understand.

Hyperborean

Cultural Conservative

Since you mentioned praying inside a plane, I highly recommend flying Malaysia Airlines whenever you go to East Asia. Not only is the food all Halal, but they have a special prayer area within the plane, AND they indicate the direction of Makkah; the only thing which is difficult is calculating the prayer times. I believe it would be permissible to calculate the times based on the city from which you departed.

In all things you should strive to do them as completely as possible; whenever possible DO take your socks and shoes off and perform wudu before you pray.