• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poussin Code

Nehustan

I posted this picture in a thread on the Da Vinci code, I wonder if any of you know it???​

Poussin, shepherds_of_arcadia.jpg

evearael

ohh cool, what do you know about the picture Evearael? Does the name Sarah mean anything?
I took an Art History class eight years ago and I remember seeing this painting, though sadly I recall very little about it... it was a survey course, so it didn't go into as much detail as I'd like.

Nehustan

The centre 'brother' is looking at some Latin that reads 'ET IN ARCADIA EGO' hence the title of the painting. There is much written about this phrase, with some thinking it an anagram meaning 'Begone! I conceal the mystery of God' (I TEGO ARCANA DEI). I have pondered this painting for many years and think that it is Sarah and perhaps her three sons.