• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Post millennials are unhappy

atanu

Premium Member
In a paper published in Journal of abnormal psychology, researchers say that post millennials are more depressed than children older than 25-26 years. Spending more time online and loss of sleep time are the two main reasons.

Why Are So Many Young People So Unhappy?

Last edited:

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
In a paper published in Journal of abnormal psychology, researchers say that millennials are more depressed than children older than 25-26 years. Spending more time online and loss of sleep time are the two main reasons.

The internet and electronic interface it not going to go away. The human race is going to have to adapt IMO. Those that can mentally adapt will carry the race forward, those that can't won't. The human race will have to evolve into whatever environment it finds itself in. That or eventually cease to exist.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm surprised to hear that. I spend a lot of time on a college campus and one thing that stands out to me about the current crop of young people is the almost constant --- what I would call hysterical --- laughter you hear just about everywhere these days.
I have wondered though how much of it is chemically induced.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Most millennials are older than 25. The youngest are well into their 20s and older millennials are nearly 40.

It's not a synonym for "young people".
Guess that would depend on how old you are.

Anyway, the article gives a range of 12 to 26 yrs.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Millennials are in our late 20s and 30s. Those kids are a different generation.
Those in born through the mid 80s didnt grow up in the same world as thise born in the 90s. Were older than the world wide web, and started school while the cold war was still on. Research has shown, however, those born around the mid-90s on did grow up differently because of technology. Its not really accurate to lump 80s in with 90s because things were too different (no safe spaces or trigger warnings, either, and our high school teachers were generally better at online research than us.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Overall, it seems people in general as a whole arent happy, and are plagued with anxiety and fear. White middle aged men, for example, are killing themselves more than any other group. Farmers are killing themselves. And despite facts, people are increasingly fearful of violence.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Those in born through the mid 80s didnt grow up in the same world as thise born in the 90s. Were older than the world wide web, and started school while the cold war was still on. Research has shown, however, those born around the mid-90s on did grow up differently because of technology. Its not really accurate to lump 80s in with 90s because things were too different (no safe spaces or trigger warnings, either, and our high school teachers were generally better at online research than us.
Millennials were born in the '80s and early '90s. Up to '91 or '92. It's about those whose later childhood and adolescence was in the '90s, around the turn of the millennium. We grew up with Nickelodeon, Pokemon, nu metal, etc. The older millennials would've hit their teens a couple years before you. I'm a millennial and you're only 3 years older than me. We're the same generation.

Khasekhemwy

Last 2nd Dynasty king
In a paper published in Journal of abnormal psychology, researchers say that millennials are more depressed than children older than 25-26 years. Spending more time online and loss of sleep time are the two main reasons.

I remember it was plain old TV time for my generation, and Cold War nuclear anxiety for my parents’ youth. Figures, given the journal title. Sleep is a more realistic matter of concern, and one we’ve faced ever since we started living by clock schedules about 150 years ago.

Most millennials are older than 25. The youngest are well into their 20s and older millennials are nearly 40.

Correct, at least according to Pew Research’s definition. The Millennial cohorts are those born 1981 through 1996, so there’s now a post-millennial generation they’re calling “Z,” joined by a few toddlers who will represent whatever follows Z. Seems a bit silly to me, absent any abrupt natural cutoff between each generation, but it all started with that baby boom back in the 1950s.
~ ;)

The internet and electronic interface it not going to go away...Those that can mentally adapt will carry the race forward, those that can't won't. The human race will have to evolve into whatever environment it finds itself in. That or eventually cease to exist.

Agreed the Internet will last some time barring a global collapse, but I’m not sure this has much to do with the human biological evolution seen over thousands of years. We have yet to evolve an inborn faculty for writing, an activity we pursue with skills people already had back in the Pleistocene: hand-eye coordination and an ability to make symbolic correspondences evidenced by items such as jewelry and cave art.

Is it something to worry about? If most senior citizens prefer to contact friends by phone or letter instead of by social media because that’s how they’ve always done it, they’ve little trouble using the Internet to buy plane tickets or pay bills. Making computer interfaces reasonably intuitive is one thing the Geeks got right: just move the mouse pointer around and click on what you want to do.
~ ;)

Last edited:

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member

Life sucks when you've never been allowed to fail. Get last place in a tournament? Still get the same trophy and same victory party as 1st place.

Failure builds character, forces you to get better/evolve. Failure gives you a contrast between succeeding and not succeeding. Why bother putting in any effort at a if 1st place and last place give the same rewards.

It's no wonder they are miserable. They don't know what real victory feels like.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Millennials were born in the '80s and early '90s. Up to '91 or '92. It's about those whose later childhood and adolescence were in the '90s, around the turn of the millennium. We grew up with Nickelodeon, Pokemon, nu metal, etc. The older millennials would've hit their teens a couple years before you. I'm a millennial and you're only 3 years older than me. We're the same generation.
A generation is about 20 years long, which puts gen x from the mid 60s to mid 80s going by the timeline of Boomers. At most, mid-80s are in between (as mid 60s are in the middle of boomers and x) with those after being millennials.
As for me, I know more about Thundercats and He-man than I do Nicolodeon cartoons.

Last edited:

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Oh, oh, since I’m an older millennial, does that mean I can do the old person yelling thing now?! Yay!

“Damned kids, with their fancy technology and lack of sleep! Back in my day you had to use dial up! It was awful. Truly the dark ages. Young whippersnappers are just lazy and spoilt! Darn kids!!!” *angrily shakes fist*

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
A generation is about 20 years long, which puts gen x from the mid 60s to mid 80s going by the timeline of Boomers. At most, mid-80s are in between (as mid 60s are in the middle of boomers and x) with those after being millennials.
As for me, I know more about Thundercats and He-man than I do Nicolodeon cartoons.
Well, that's just not how it's counted and individual interests aren't the deciding factor. I'm not aware of any definition of the term that defines it that way. I like '80s stuff, too, but I came of age during the '90s. Decades bleed into each other.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member

I'm 30-ish, and a millennial... Their reference age ranges seem a little off. It's not just lack of sleep. It's also the constant barrage of innane criticisms lobbed at or by one another on public forums and social media, that is leading to some of these increases in depression. Which might be considered "time-online/internet", but the internet itself isn't the problem, it's ignorant people, IMO.

Not enough people willing to live and let live, and not enough people interacting face to face. These two things will surely help with the isolation and depression issues we are facing.

The flipside of that coin is, how are we supposed to be enjoying ourselves/content as the planet is slowly stripped of it's resources, while we sit back and watch the rampant effects of climate change, and a political system more built to make the rich richer while pointing fingers at everything but a solution.

Stanyon

WWMRD?
Oh, oh, since I’m an older millennial, does that mean I can do the old person yelling thing now?! Yay!

“Damned kids, with their fancy technology and lack of sleep! Back in my day you had to use dial up! It was awful. Truly the dark ages. Young whippersnappers are just lazy and spoilt! Darn kids!!!” *angrily shakes fist*

Make sure you include "and their music sucks!"