• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Possession as a form of reincarnation?

Muffled

Jesus in me
I just finished reading the book: I'M Eve about a person with multiple personalities.

I believe that the personalities held temporary possession and that each spirit that entered the mind had a personality of its own.

I believe it was not demonic possession so I believe God was responsible for it since He is in control most of the time.

So this would seem to me to be reincarnation into an adult body instead of a conception. My primary reason for thinking this is that each personality had skills the others didn't. A blank slate would not come with learned skills but a person with a previous life would.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I just finished reading the book: I'M Eve about a person with multiple personalities.

I believe that the personalities held temporary possession and that each spirit that entered the mind had a personality of its own.

I believe it was not demonic possession so I believe God was responsible for it since He is in control most of the time.

So this would seem to me to be reincarnation into an adult body instead of a conception. My primary reason for thinking this is that each personality had skills the others didn't. A blank slate would not come with learned skills but a person with a previous life would.

Scientology has similar ideas.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Or it could just be a psychiatric condition.

I believe the psychologists/psychiatrists see only what they wish to see.

However it is possible the for the brain to form a defense mechanism by changing a memory especially in youth but adults do not usually do that.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Scientology has similar ideas.

I believe that is due to the fact that they don't have to stick to the facts. I don't trust scientology. The idea that a science fiction writer can come up with reality instead of fiction does not fit in my philosophy.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Exactly. It's a coping mechanism caused by extreme trauma.

I believe in this case that doesn't fit the scenario for a defense of doing bad things. The trauma was being forced to kiss her dead grandmother in the coffin. What it does fit is a fear of death which might cause the person to opt out and let another spirit take over. That is way to avoid it, simply by not being there.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I believe in this case that doesn't fit the scenario for a defense of doing bad things. The trauma was being forced to kiss her dead grandmother in the coffin. What it does fit is a fear of death which might cause the person to opt out and let another spirit take over. That is way to avoid it, simply by not being there.
Not sure how to decipher this non sequitur.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
I believe that is due to the fact that they don't have to stick to the facts. I don't trust scientology. The idea that a science fiction writer can come up with reality instead of fiction does not fit in my philosophy.

That's what is so devious about LRH. Taking just enough reality to sound believable, then injecting his own book fiction to gain a buck is just pathetic.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Not sure how to decipher this non sequitur.

I take it you haven't read the book recently or seen the movie: The Three Faces of Eve.

The person when she was 5 years old did something bad and when facing punishment said it was the other girl who did it but the adults actually saw who did it so they called her a liar. She could have invented the other girl as a defense mechanism.

The other event of kissing he dead grandmother did not involve a defense event. However later in life when people died there was a tendency for a new personality to emerge.

Muffled

Jesus in me
That's what is so devious about LRH. Taking just enough reality to sound believable, then injecting his own book fiction to gain a buck is just pathetic.

I believe I worked with a person who had psychological problems. He thought scientology would give him answers. Certainly they talk enough psyco babble to confuse people into believing it. I tried to warn him but he seemed to have mental blocks. As a side note at the time I was working at a mental hospital.

Muffled

Jesus in me
:D:D Beliefs can also be biased, you get the point right?

I am biased towards religious and spiritual concepts but In this thread I have tried to evaluate the possibility of a mental function. Usually a materialist will not even consider the possibility of a spiritual explanation.

Muffled

Jesus in me
I believe at the very last of the book there is the explanation of what happened with the white coffin. A baby died and was buried in a white coffin. Eve said the baby was crying so she wished it would stop, It stopped crying because it had died. She felt guilty as though her wish had killed the baby. This trauma led her to try to make spiritual contact with the baby This could possibly explain why she was getting new spirits because she opened her self up to receiving them. Also guilt is a major motivation for opting out.

ppp

I am biased towards religious and spiritual concepts but In this thread I have tried to evaluate the possibility of a mental function. Usually a materialist will not even consider the possibility of a spiritual explanation.
I will consider a spiritual explanation as soon as someone provides an adequate definition of spiritual, and provides a way to demonstrate that it exists.

Muffled

Jesus in me
I will consider a spiritual explanation as soon as someone provides an adequate definition of spiritual, and provides a way to demonstrate that it exists.

I believe just as I am the best evidence of God that I am the best evidence of spirituality as well.