• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Positive' Fascism

Raban

Hagian
If you know anything about Germany after World War I leading up to WWII, you know that is was devastated, and in both economical and industrial ruin. However in a short amount of time the Fascist Nazi's had turned Germany in to one of the most powerful nations on Earth, and constructed an immense industrial infrastructure. Now that came with very negative draw backs (EXTREME understatement) which included, war, genocide, and eventual destruction. But still; the leaps and bounds made by the Germans in a relatively short span of times was of the likes which had rarely if never been witnessed. So now, whereas the Nazi's used hatred of minorities, violence, and fear build their nation; do you think it is possible to do the reverse and achieve the same goal? For example, instead of using nationalism fueled by anti-minority feelings, if it was instead fueled by love of higher ideals, and a common 'love' for you 'human brothers'. Another thing that would need to be addressed is that there can be no one religion or ethnicity that has monopolized the government. Though there are many other issues that would need to be addressed, I guess my question is 'Do you think it is possible to achieve a form of government (probably Democratic) that is fueled by both strong Nationalistic, and Humanistic emotions, that builds itself into a permanently industrialized, (well as permanent as is known today at least) country and leads as an example for other nations?'

Alceste

Vagabond
I don't really see nationalism and humanism as compatible philosophies. Not as they are most commonly practiced. Nationalist groups hate minorities. That's just what they do. You can't hate minorities and be a humanist.

Raban

Hagian
Hmm, yes I suppose, traditional nationalism would be a very negative force, and I guess nationalism was the wrong word. Perhaps I mean more of 'neighborhood' national esteem, and hope for the common good of yourself and the rest of your 'nation' while not excluding other countries and ethnicity's (or minorities) simply for the purpose of making the world a 'better' place.

Alceste

Vagabond
Hmm, yes I suppose, traditional nationalism would be a very negative force, and I guess nationalism was the wrong word. Perhaps I mean more of 'neighborhood' national esteem, and hope for the common good of yourself and the rest of your 'nation' while not excluding other countries and ethnicity's (or minorities) simply for the purpose of making the world a 'better' place.

Well one huge thing fascists always do to create that sense of unity is persecute dissenters, thinkers, artists and academics. I'd rather not have the national unity if that is the price for it, even if it tolerates minorities.