• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Portland is often like scenes out of Gotham City's Joker

amorphous_constellation

No matter how much I watch or read on portland, I still can't really understand what they're thinking there.. Why are they still doing this? I think maybe in Western civilization, the wildest stuff always happens where the West runs out. Because there, we western people can no longer move westward, and so people are forced to look inward. And when they do that, and don't like what they see, maybe that agitates them into these kinds of states. I don't know

Nova2216

Trump may have to stop this destruction going on in Portland since the Gov and Mayor refuses to do so.

Seems like it is all backfiring on the Dems.

Can they put out the fire?.

Or better yet, Will they put out the fire?

Cooky

Veteran Member
I suppose if one wants to make a mountain of a molehill and eat up RW media and Trumps vocal puke.
Feds, right-wing media paint Portland as ‘city under siege.’ A tour of town shows otherwise

Surely the video is real... Actual events that took place...

Now I'm drawing parallels with the current situation and it's resemblance to the situation surrounding the mayor of Gotham... Like what's happening now is *directly* out of the storyline of Joker.

Seriously, don't you find the parallels striking?

Cooky

Veteran Member
joker.jpg

amorphous_constellation

I think I really dislike the Joker character, he's sort of an archetype representing perhaps american smugness, in general. I haven't seen a newer batman movie, or hardly any new movies, in the past couple years though.

Ever notice how we americans often talk proudly, both in tonality and language, and how our pundits and politicians always kind of smile when they make a point? Most of us probably don't even realize it. I guess that's why I always liked the British, their communication style often conveys this wonderful sense of humility or self-doubt, perhaps. You know what I mean? Here, we seem smug. And combine that with self-destructiveness, and then you get the joker archetype, I think.

Cooky

Veteran Member
Yes, let's sweep under the rug why the public is outraged to begin with.

Haven't you seen the movie? Three upper-class white kids were beating a clown on a subway car because he was "different"..!

...That's very similar to white cops beating and killing black people, and other underprivileged people because they're "different".

The movie actually highlights what's going on in America... Nothing's being "swept" anywhere. At least not by me. o_O

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Surely the video is real... Actual events that took place...

Now I'm drawing parallels with the current situation and it's resemblance to the situation surrounding the mayor of Gotham... Like what's happening now is *directly* out of the storyline of Joker.

Seriously, don't you find the parallels striking?
Im not blowing real events out of proportion. Gotham was a city where violence and crime was rampant and gangs ruled. Porterville has a few pissed off rioters. Your portrayal of it as Gotham simply doesn't reflect reality.

Cooky

Veteran Member
Im not blowing real events out of proportion. Gotham was a city where violence and crime was rampant and gangs ruled. Porterville has a few pissed off rioters. Your portrayal of it as Gotham simply doesn't reflect reality.

Not at all. Gotham was a city where an upper-class looked down heavily on the underprivileged. Joker became the source of the rebellion, just like we're seeing across the United States today.

...You must be forgetting the snide interview that the mayor of Gotham (Thomas Wayne) gave on TV in the movie. What he described was basically that low income people deserve punishment for being low-life's. And that wealthy, upper-class citizens shouldn't be brought down by such low-life's... Which is basically a reflection of the privileged in America.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I never saw the movie, because it just looked like another movie whose only point is 'we live in a society.' But I do live in Portland. And I can say factually that aside from the changes due to covid, the day to day life hasn't changed here. We aren't like Gotham, we aren't like the wild west. Protests make up a fraction, usually a block or two, of the city in the evening and the rest of us go about our business as usual. Right wing media drinks up whatever they can find, which is usually clashes from people who don't even live here, and drove or bussed here.

Cooky

Veteran Member
I never saw the movie, because it just looked like another movie whose only point is 'we live in a society.' But I do live in Portland. And I can say factually that aside from the changes due to covid, the day to day life hasn't changed here. We aren't like Gotham, we aren't like the wild west. Protests make up a fraction, usually a block or two, of the city in the evening and the rest of us go about our business as usual. Right wing media drinks up whatever they can find, which is usually clashes from people who don't even live here, and drove or bussed here.

I certainly don't think the city is 'out of control'. I'm just noticing comparisons between themes.

...And for the record, I never had any desire to watch Joker until last night after setting up my new smart TV with surround sound, and downloading Amazon Prime, with HBO.

The nice thing about Amazon Prime, is that it has icons that offer visual options to choose from for watching various mini-series like Chernobyl, and an array of movies I didn't otherwise know were available to me on cable. With cable, you kind of have to already know what you're looking for, and it's typically not even 4K quality, unless you're streaming.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Trump may have to stop this destruction going on in Portland since the Gov and Mayor refuses to do so.

Seems like it is all backfiring on the Dems.

Can they put out the fire?.

Or better yet, Will they put out the fire?
Just violate the Constitution as Trump has no problem doing and act the same way the Chinese are acting in Hong Kong.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Not at all. Gotham was a city where an upper-class looked down heavily on the underprivileged. Joker became the source of the rebellion, just like we're seeing across the United States today.

...You must be forgetting the snide interview that the mayor of Gotham (Thomas Wayne) gave on TV in the movie. What he described was basically that low income people deserve punishment for being low-life's. And that wealthy, upper-class citizens shouldn't be brought down by such low-life's... Which is basically a reflection of the privileged in America.
Thats such a wide grasp and not a reflection of Portland. The elites have basically always viewed themselves as better. They claimed to be the incarnations of god, amd become selected and chosen by god, they've claimed to have better blood, they claim they are necessarily smarter and working harder, it's nothing new but instead heavily recycled bourgeoisie rubbish.
The nice thing about Amazon Prime, is that it has icons that offer visual options
So does hulu, Netflix, HBO Max and probably others (Ive not used even half of the available ones).

ecco

Veteran Member
Actual events that took place...

Yes. Actual events...
Portland suffers serious street violence as far right return 'prepared to fight'
Jason Wilson in Portland

Fri 28 Aug 2020 06.45 EDT
Portland suffers serious street violence as far right return 'prepared to fight'

Armed rightwingers have attacked leftwing protesters and reporters, supplanting the nightly standoffs with police
5849.jpg

Far-right protesters armed with paintball guns and firearms argue with a Black Lives Matter speaker during a rally in Gresham, a suburb of Portland, Oregon, on Wednesday.​
But in the past week the city has fallen back into a pattern of more politically polarized street violence which has marked the city throughout the Trump era, with broadly leftwing and anti-fascist activists sometimes facing off against far-right groups.

Last weekend a rightwing “Say no to Marxism in America” rally saw serious, widespread violence. Much of it came from rally attendees – who included members of far-right groups like the Proud Boys – and was directed not only at leftist counter-protesters, but also reporters.

One rightwing protester drew a firearm on opposing protesters. Earlier, he had fired a paintball gun into the crowd, and a local journalist was caught in the crossfire. Others appeared to be armed with firearms and knives. Some carried wooden shields with nails driven through them.

One pro-Trump protester took to a snack van with a baseball bat. Others joined in and destroyed the vehicle.

Near the peak of Saturday’s violence, a reporter’s hand was broken by a rightwing protester with a baton, and video of the incident went viral on social media. That reporter, Robert Evans, has been covering the protests since they began, for Bellingcat and other outlets.

That assailant was identified by Bellingcat on Tuesday as Travis Taylor, a Portland-based Proud Boy who has been previously observed attending violent street demonstrations in the city.

In a telephone conversation, Evans told the Guardian that the rightwing demonstrators “absolutely came prepared to fight”, were “very aggressive from the jump” and were equipped with “knives, guns, paintball guns with frozen pellets, batons”.

It was the worst violence of its kind in the city since an infamous afternoon in 2018, also involving Proud Boys, who came from all over the country to attend a rally that culminated in another vicious street brawl.
At least Hitler's Brown Shirts wore brown shirts.
https://www.historyhit.com/hitlers-bullyboys-the-role-of-the-sa-in-nazi-germany/
The SA was instrumental in the Nazi’s rise to power and played a diminished role during the Second World War. The Brownshirts are infamous for their operation outside of the law and their violent intimidation of Germany’s leftists and Jewish population.
Have we heard Trump denounce his shadow army of agitators? Nope.

Cooky

Veteran Member
Yes. Actual events...
Jason Wilson in Portland

Fri 28 Aug 2020 06.45 EDT

Armed rightwingers have attacked leftwing protesters and reporters, supplanting the nightly standoffs with police
5849.jpg

Far-right protesters armed with paintball guns and firearms argue with a Black Lives Matter speaker during a rally in Gresham, a suburb of Portland, Oregon, on Wednesday.​
But in the past week the city has fallen back into a pattern of more politically polarized street violence which has marked the city throughout the Trump era, with broadly leftwing and anti-fascist activists sometimes facing off against far-right groups.

Last weekend a rightwing “Say no to Marxism in America” rally saw serious, widespread violence. Much of it came from rally attendees – who included members of far-right groups like the Proud Boys – and was directed not only at leftist counter-protesters, but also reporters.

One rightwing protester drew a firearm on opposing protesters. Earlier, he had fired a paintball gun into the crowd, and a local journalist was caught in the crossfire. Others appeared to be armed with firearms and knives. Some carried wooden shields with nails driven through them.

One pro-Trump protester took to a snack van with a baseball bat. Others joined in and destroyed the vehicle.

Near the peak of Saturday’s violence, a reporter’s hand was broken by a rightwing protester with a baton, and video of the incident went viral on social media. That reporter, Robert Evans, has been covering the protests since they began, for Bellingcat and other outlets.

That assailant was identified by Bellingcat on Tuesday as Travis Taylor, a Portland-based Proud Boy who has been previously observed attending violent street demonstrations in the city.

In a telephone conversation, Evans told the Guardian that the rightwing demonstrators “absolutely came prepared to fight”, were “very aggressive from the jump” and were equipped with “knives, guns, paintball guns with frozen pellets, batons”.

It was the worst violence of its kind in the city since an infamous afternoon in 2018, also involving Proud Boys, who came from all over the country to attend a rally that culminated in another vicious street brawl.
At least Hitler's Brown Shirts wore brown shirts.
https://www.historyhit.com/hitlers-bullyboys-the-role-of-the-sa-in-nazi-germany/
The SA was instrumental in the Nazi’s rise to power and played a diminished role during the Second World War. The Brownshirts are infamous for their operation outside of the law and their violent intimidation of Germany’s leftists and Jewish population.
Have we heard Trump denounce his shadow army of agitators? Nope.

Okay, you're right. There were no counterprotesters in Joker. Got me there!

...But I'm not saying it's identical, obviously. How could it be, when Joker was released in 2019.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
The Joker is primarily a commentary on society’s (American specifically) treatment of the mentally ill, the results of ignoring and stigmatising it’s own citizens, simply because the elite don’t care.
I suppose one could make the argument that this angst and frustrated cry out for recognition of basic humanity is reflected in the BLM movement. The shunned and downtrodden citizens trying to institute change in a system that at best ignores their plight and at worst treats them as subhumans. Much like how Joker is shunned and bullied by society for his condition.
Though to be fair to DC, it is billionaire Bruce Wayne, an elite, that tries desperately to protect innocent downtrodden citizens of his city. It’s just that even his enormous wealth can’t fix Gotham because it’s just too broken.
Given that Gotham is a city marked by vigilante justice and brutal crime, probably not a good time to compare the city to the current protests. But I’ll give the benefit of the doubt here and suggest the comparison between Gotham and Portland was merely an accidental invocation. One born out of mere incidental insinuation than anything else.

Please note as I’m not American, take this post with a grain of salt. This is just an observation.