• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Portland is often like scenes out of Gotham City's Joker

amorphous_constellation

The Joker is primarily a commentary on society’s (American specifically) treatment of the mentally ill, the results of ignoring and stigmatising it’s own citizens, simply because the elite don’t care.
I suppose one could make the argument that this angst and frustrated cry out for recognition of basic humanity is reflected in the BLM movement. The shunned and downtrodden citizens trying to institute change in a system that at best ignores their plight and at worst treats them as subhumans.

I can't really comment further on what the 'joker' is, but it's interesting reading an Australian take on this place. America, in some ways, might be the most primordial western country. Where others might have evolved the feathers of collaboration, this country never lost the dinosaur scales of the medieval times, where the individual is able to accumulate, and lord, and adventure, all with the mindset purely to self-gain. Our manner of speaking is often overly proud, and archaically makes one's accumulations into the main conversational centerpiece. I understand the earliest european immigrants, my ancestors included, as possibly coming here to escape the enlightenment. From there you might come to understand how aberrant we are, as we quite possibly represent a much earlier western incarnation, trapped in stasis, from our manner of speaking to our insistence on the value of accumulation.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I can't really comment further on what the 'joker' is, but it's interesting reading an Australian take on this place. America, in some ways, might be the most primordial western country. Where others might have evolved the feathers of collaboration, this country never lost the dinosaur scales of the medieval times, where the individual is able to accumulate, and lord, and adventure, all with the mindset purely to self-gain. Our manner of speaking is often overly proud, and archaically makes one's accumulations into the main conversational centerpiece. I understand the earliest european immigrants, my ancestors included, as possibly coming here to escape the enlightenment. From there you might come to understand how aberrant we are, as we quite possibly represent a much earlier western incarnation, trapped in stasis, from our manner of speaking to our insistence on the value of accumulation.
Well unregulated capitalism probably didn’t help matters. I find American pride to be one of individualism rather than community. I’m not saying there aren’t community minded Americans, of course. But the obsession with individualism and personal success does seem to be an American cultural phenomenon. Australians meanwhile pride themselves on community spirit. Again speaking broadly, but in terms of culture, the values of Australian culture (ideally anyway) are mateship, sacrifice and loyalty. That might be changing or have been perceived to have changed. I dunno. We have our own issues.
I genuinely hope that America can heal and grow from these current events.

amorphous_constellation

Well unregulated capitalism probably didn’t help matters. I find American pride to be one of individualism rather than community. I’m not saying there aren’t community minded Americans, of course.

There was no stopping that, when you understand that this was the ultimate escape valve for the medieval individual, whose culture was otherwise ending. America was endless to the voraciously minded, it was likes ants on a cake. Rather than have to face limits to resources, suddenly they looked absolutely endless, and no adventuring man was left stunted for lack of frontier. Regulation was the last thing on anyone's mind

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
There was no stopping that, when you understand that this was the ultimate escape valve for the medieval individual, whose culture was otherwise ending. America was endless to the voraciously minded, it was likes ants on a cake. Rather than have to face limits to resources, suddenly they looked absolutely endless, and no adventuring man was left stunted for lack of frontier. Regulation was the last thing on anyone's mind
I guess. I mean it’s not like you guys were the only ancestors of Brits searching for new resources. Course Australiastan is where they sent all the criminals so maybe we just made do instead ;)

Cooky

Veteran Member
I guess. I mean it’s not like you guys were the only ancestors of Brits searching for new resources. Course Australiastan is where they sent all the criminals so maybe we just made do instead ;)

Many people don't know that this land was quite Dutch before becoming overwhelmingly British.

The Brits took New Amsterdam by gunpoint... The Dutch surrendered it, and it was renamed New York.

Cooky

Veteran Member
Yeah I think so. I know more German folk though. For whatever that means

Yes, the Germans went through a big migration period here, just before the Civil War.

After that, during the early 20th century, there was a big wave of Italian and Polish migration here... It's where we got Al Capone. :)

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, the Germans went through a big migration period here, just before the Civil War.

After that, during the early 20th century, there was a big wave of Italian and Polish migration here... It's where we got Al Capone. :)
Oh I see. Lol good old Capone

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity

In fact, the influx of political refugees from Germany after 1848 possibly contributed to the rise in abolitionism. Many of these refugees had been ardent supporters of political liberalism and democracy, and would continue their political activism for the benefit of their new home country.

German-born were significantlyoverrepresented in the first volunteer formations that were raised in the early months of the American Civil War, for example, as many veterans of the 1848 Revolutions saw the cause of the Union as a way to 'redeem' the democratic project that had failed in the old mother country: