• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Popular Non-Religious Myths

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Things like:
If a prostitute asks an undercover cop if they are a cop, the cop has to answer yes
It is illegal to drive barefoot
If a lady jumps up and down after sex they cannot get pregnant​

What non-religious myths do you find popular in your neck of the woods?

Nimos

Things like:
If a prostitute asks an undercover cop if they are a cop, the cop has to answer yes
It is illegal to drive barefoot
If a lady jumps up and down after sex they cannot get pregnant​

What non-religious myths do you find popular in your neck of the woods?
I know some of these are religious, also they might be universal, let me know if you do these in your country as well, would be interesting to know. (Im from Denmark btw)

1. If you break a mirror you are cursed with 7 years of bad luck. However you can remove the curse if you clean up the broken glass and bury it or throw it in a river.

2. If you see a black cat crossing the street in front of you, then you will also be cursed. This curse can be avoided if you spit over your shoulder or look over either the right or the left shoulder, can't remember. Or you can wait for someone else to cross the street first. (Pretty sure this is religious)

3. Then we have one where you knock under the table 3 times and say the magic numbers 7,9,13 to avoid something terrible someone might have said.

4. Then we have a saying, pretty sure that is universal, where you cross your fingers for luck.

5. Another one is about walking under a ladder. Had to look this one up to see if it was a curse or not, which it ain't, but its also religious. if you walk under the ladder you are denying the holy trinity and supporting satan.

6. Had to look this one up as well, to see if it was religious, which it is. But its about spilling or knocking over a bowl with salt, which will curse you as well.
It was highlighted that it is also shown in the painting of the last supper by Leonardo da Vinci, that Judas have spilled the salt:
leonardo-da-vinci-the-last-supper-1-510x236.jpg

As far as I know you can remove the curse, by taking some of the salt and throw it over your shoulder.

7. Then there is one about having our flag in the flagpole after sunrise, which mean that you are celebrating satan, if i recall correctly.

8. Also if a bird **** on you that means good luck, also old superstition and probably made up by someone not wanting to be laughed at :D And if a bird fly inside your house that is bad luck. And finally if a stork flies over your house it means that there is soon to be a baby.

So all in all most are religious, in fact they all might be :D

Last edited:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
The largest living thing on earth is the blue whale (or giant redwood)

The largest living organisms is a honey fungus, almost 2.5 miles across and creates edible mushrooms

We have five senses

We have at least nine.
Sight
Sound
Smell
Taste
Touch

Plus

Equilibrioception - balance
Interoception - physiological condition
Oroprioception - orientation
Thermoception - temperature

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I like the local, and i believe unique, Pétassou

The Judgement of Pétassou dates back to Medieval Times, and is a ceremony performed each year by school children from 3 local schools.

Pétassou was/and still is thought to have performed many disagreeable acts from causing nasty smells to theft, from bad weather to large explosions.

The kids parade an effigy of the evil mage through the streets, end up at a car park, judge him guilty and burn him on a bonfire. Before returning to school to finish lessons.