• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Popes visit to the UK

Nerthus

Wanderlust
It puzzles me even more considering the Vatican's recent moves to make it easier for Anglican priests to be ordained in the Catholic Church. They're taking advantage of the disagreements in the Anglican communion over various issues (e.g. ordination of women and same-sex marriage) to get some gain for themselves. I wouldn't think that's the sort of behaviour that the Queen would want to be associated with.

I was confused over that step too. I remember my Mother telling me how she was always confused by the Catholic church, but I never understood what she meant. I do now.

Nerthus

Wanderlust
I was very unpleasantly surprised to see that the Queen met with the Pope. I assume that was Cameron's decision, but I think it was a poor one.

I've seen more of Clegg since the election than I have of Cameron.

But, I have family in Politics, so I will stay nice on the subject :D

Duck

I was very unpleasantly surprised to see that the Queen met with the Pope. I assume that was Cameron's decision, but I think it was a poor one.

I had read that the Queen wasn't going to host the Pope for a state dinner, as has been her habit with other national leaders.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
It puzzles me even more considering the Vatican's recent moves to make it easier for Anglican priests to be ordained in the Catholic Church. They're taking advantage of the disagreements in the Anglican communion over various issues (e.g. ordination of women and same-sex marriage) to get some gain for themselves. I wouldn't think that's the sort of behaviour that the Queen would want to be associated with.
I don't think so. Talks with the Anglicans have been going on for years. The inner turmoil inside the Anglican Church is what made it easier for them to get closer. It was only fitting we do something as well.

Alceste

Vagabond
Greetings. The BBC News reported that there was a row about some remarks made by the Pope. There is a video of this portion of the actual speech. What do you think?BBC News - Row after Pope's remarks on atheism and Nazis

Well, how ridiculous.

HitlerGottMitUns.gif

He must be doing that thing really annoying thing Christians sometimes do, when they decide that EVIL Christians must really be atheists and lying about it.

If you want an evil atheist, what's wrong with Stalin? Mao? Pol Pot? There's hardly a shortage. But the Nazis were proud, open, devout Christians who invoked God all over their propaganda. They even implemented a state religion - a Nazi Christian sect. Shame on Ratzinger for this attempt at revising history to flatter himself. I summarily reject his Nazi-atheist theory as a blatant "No True Scotsman" fallacy.

Hitler said:
"My feelings as a Christian points me to my Lord and Savior as a fighter. It points me to the man who once in loneliness, surrounded by a few followers, recognized these Jews for what they were and summoned men to fight against them and who, God's truth! was greatest not as a sufferer but as a fighter. In boundless love as a Christian and as a man I read through the passage which tells us how the Lord at last rose in His might and seized the scourge to drive out of the Temple the brood of vipers and adders. How terrific was His fight for the world against the Jewish poison. To-day, after two thousand years, with deepest emotion I recognize more profoundly than ever before the fact that it was for this that He had to shed His blood upon the Cross. As a Christian I have no duty to allow myself to be cheated, but I have the duty to be a fighter for truth and justice... And if there is anything which could demonstrate that we are acting rightly it is the distress that daily grows. For as a Christian I have also a duty to my own people."

-Adolf Hitler, in a speech on 12 April 1922 (Norman H. Baynes, ed. The Speeches of Adolf Hitler, April 1922-August 1939, Vol. 1 of 2, pp. 19-20, Oxford University Press, 1942)

Last edited:

tomato1236

Ninja Master
42 And whosoever shall aoffend one of these little ones that believe in me, it is better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and he were cast into the sea.
43 aAnd if thy hand offend thee, bcut it off: it is better for thee to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go into chell, into the fire that never shall be quenched

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
So was i,the Palace said they were following State visit protocol
Doesn't the Church of England still abide by the Westminster Confession of Faith?

I personally think it's odd to see the head of a Christian church meeting with the person her denomination considers to be the anitchrist.

autonomous1one1

Premium Member
He must be doing that thing really annoying thing Christians sometimes do, when they decide that EVIL Christians must really be atheists and lying about it.
A quick read on Hitler gives confusing results. Didn't Hitler change from Christianity in early years to actually extermination of Christianity in later years?

HonestJoe

A quick read on Hitler gives confusing results. Didn't Hitler change from Christianity in early years to actually extermination of Christianity in later years?
Hitler was a megalomanic madman. I'm don't think whatever his personal beliefs were (and we'll never know for certain) say's the slighest thing about anyone else.

ButTheCatCameBack

There is something ironically funny about a man who was forced into the Hitler Youth Godwin-ing his own speech. That said, he's a (insert cuss word of choice here) for it and I hope he receives nothing but contempt from many many people for his ignorant, idiotic commentary.

diosangpastol

Dios - ang - Pastol
I am watching a TV program here on the Borgias, that controversial papal family. I noticed that Pope Alexander wore a very elaborate ring - the ring of Peter - and everbody kissed it, even kings. What is this ring? Is this idolatry or some medieval domination technique? Is it still practiced now? What is it theological meaning? Did Peter, that old fisherman, ever wore a ring?

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
I am watching a TV program here on the Borgias, that controversial papal family. I noticed that Pope Alexander wore a very elaborate ring - the ring of Peter - and everbody kissed it, even kings. What is this ring? Is this idolatry or some medieval domination technique? Is it still practiced now? What is it theological meaning? Did Peter, that old fisherman, ever wore a ring?

Nice Family the Borgias :eek: still the Catholic Church is at least consistant with its corruption right up to the present.

Kissing the Popes ring is a sign of respect for the office and is still practised,some people still try to kiss a Bishops ring but for most a handshake is sufficient.