• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Polygamy

slave2six

Substitious
OK. So, if two or more women agree to live with one man and they each give consent to this kind of relationship, why does there need to be a law against polygamy? Why do people become morally outraged by the idea? It is entirely possible for one man to love multiple women and vice versa. So why do people think it is wrong? (The only objection I can think of is having more than one mother-in-law.)

Biblically speaking, I don't see an argument against it. The "wisest man who ever lived" had hundreds of wives and concubines. His dad had a mess of wives too. Jacob had two. Abraham had a wife and got it on with her handmaiden with his wife's consent. I'm sure there are more examples.

If a dude can afford to care for a whole bunch of women and they all consent, who are we to deny them? What's the deal?

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
I can't see anything wrong with it as long as all people within the relationship are connecting adults.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
If a dude can afford to care for a whole bunch of women and they all consent, who are we to deny them? What's the deal?

What do you do with the "surplus" young men who cannot find mates because older, more established men have two or three or more wives? Do you run them out of town like some polygamous societies do?

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
What do you do with the "surplus" young men who cannot find mates because older, more established men have two or three or more wives? Do you run them out of town like some polygamous societies do?
Cage fights(or maybe I'm just thinking of a way to make easy money).

rojse

RF Addict

I suppose you could also go the opposite way - one woman, several men.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Cage fights(or maybe I'm just thinking of a way to make easy money).

About the most fundamental human right is the right to reproduce with an informed and consenting partner. Societies that limit that right through polygamy do so illegitimately.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I suppose you could also go the opposite way - one woman, several men.

Polygamy is an attractive ideal that doesn't work out in practice for a number of reasons. One reason is it creates a system that disenfranchises a fairly large number of males. Also, I would like to know of any society that practices polygamy where women have equal rights with men.

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
About the most fundamental human right is the right to reproduce with an informed and consenting partner. Societies that limit that right through polygamy do so illegitimately.
Agreed, but even if a society aloud polygamy it doesn't mean that it going to be a big thing. I think there would still be a lot of people that wish to be with just one person and that there partner feels the same.
IMO those little polygamist society you mention are wrong in doing what they do, they do it out of fear and the want for power, and in this case usually force marriage on the some(most?) of the women in the relationship.
I don't think that's what the OP is getting at though.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Agreed, but even if a society aloud polygamy it doesn't mean that it going to be a big thing. I think there would still be a lot of people that wish to be with just one person and that there partner feels the same.
IMO those little polygamist society you mention are wrong in doing what they do, they do it out of fear and the want for power, and in this case usually force marriage on the some(most?) of the women in the relationship.
I don't think that's what the OP is getting at though.

In an ideal world polygamy might work without creating injustices. But this is not an ideal world.

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
In an ideal world polygamy might work without creating injustices. But this is not an ideal world.
Sad but true.
Oh and damn you Phil, making me think and write out thoughtful post...my brain it Hurts!!!:D

rojse

RF Addict
Polygamy is an attractive ideal that doesn't work out in practice for a number of reasons. One reason is it creates a system that disenfranchises a fairly large number of males. Also, I would like to know of any society that practices polygamy where women have equal rights with men.

Polyandry (one female, multiple males) - not as widespread as polygyny (one male, several females) but did exist in a historical context. Not sure about the equality of these ancient societies, not much of a historian myself.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Polyandry (one female, multiple males) - not as widespread as polygyny (one male, several females) but did exist in a historical context. Not sure about the equality of these ancient societies, not much of a historian myself.

I'm aware that Polyandry has existed at times and still exists in parts of Nepal. But I simply don't think it would balance out polygamy. In a polygamous/polyandrous society you would still have a surplus of males, methinks.

I think if someone has a polygamous or polyandrous relationship, that's fine. I just don't think such relationships should be promoted or encouraged by the state. If 1000 people are polygamous, no big problem. But it 10,000,000 are polygamous, then you've got a big problem.

rojse

RF Addict
I'm aware that Polyandry has existed at times and still exists in parts of Nepal. But I simply don't think it would balance out polygamy. In a polygamous/polyandrous society you would still have a surplus of males, methinks.

I think if someone has a polygamous or polyandrous relationship, that's fine. I just don't think such relationships should be promoted or encouraged by the state. If 1000 people are polygamous, no big problem. But it 10,000,000 are polygamous, then you've got a big problem.

I don't think that a large amount of the male population earns enough money that would necessary be able to support having two wives, and two families. Finding a man who wishes to have such a relationship (and not least a wife who will agree to such a proposal) would make the amount of people far less. I don't see such a marriage arrangement being quite widespread.

Although there would be an imbalance of males, considering that the ratio of females is slightly larger than males in most Western world countries (there are some exceptions in other countries, such as China) I could see polygamy working for a small amount of the general population as such a proposal would inevitably be.

Sola'lor

LDSUJC

Just let them grow older and when the oldmen have died they can take their place.

Ok I wasn't really serious about that.

Well if you have a community that only has a few more women than men then only a few men would get more than one wife, not everyone. It would be impossible to do so that everyone had more than one wife.

Or you could go out on raids to capture women and bring them into your society.

blackout

Violet.
I don't think that a large amount of the male population earns enough money that would necessary be able to support having two wives, and two families. Finding a man who wishes to have such a relationship (and not least a wife who will agree to such a proposal) would make the amount of people far less. I don't see such a marriage arrangement being quite widespread.

Although there would be an imbalance of males, considering that the ratio of females is slightly larger than males in most Western world countries (there are some exceptions in other countries, such as China) I could see polygamy working for a small amount of the general population as such a proposal would inevitably be.

Why on earth would the male be expected to support everyone?
Families are supposed to work together. :shrug:

blackout

Violet.
I can easily understand the benefits of a polyamorous union...
of say I dunno... maybe a family of up to 6... maybe 10...?
but beyond that,
I fail to see the point?

How the hell can you have relational/marital/family intimacy between 1,000 people?
Or even anything close to a hundred. It's just silly. IMO.

Last edited:

slave2six

Substitious
There are six billion people on the planet. You really think that there will be a surplus of young men? Besides, that assumes that there is an equal number of men and women on the planet. I don't know that this is true but it would be important to consider. It may well turn out that there are more women than men in which case the point is moot. Also, I am limiting this to one male with several females. It could well be the opposite. It is the concept itself that I am wondering about.

slave2six

Substitious
That doesn't make sense to me. One man can impregnate many women. I don't understand your argument. (Ever see "The King and I"? It was based on factual events and the king did have fifty some odd kids. I read the original book and it was clear that this was the case for him and his wives.)