• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poll: Would You Ban Thor's Hammer/Runes

Ban Mjolnir and Runes?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 15 93.8%
  • Maybe

Votes: 1 6.3%

• Total voters

danieldemol

Premium Member
I tentatively voted no, but if they were being used to incite fear perhaps they could be banned conditionally on them being used as such, although I have no idea how such a conditional usage would be policed except where you could prove the person using them was also a member of a recognised hate group.

In my opinion.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I think the ban mentality is out of control.

Besides, Thor was at the bus stop the whole time.

He had nothing to do with it.

RestlessSoul

This reminds me of a lyric from a spoof heavy metal song (nothing to do with Spinal Tap). Works best if you can hear it an a South Yorkshire accent...

:musicalscore: Oh we all come from Sheffield, and we're all over 35,
He's Thor the Mighty Hammer, but his mother still calls him Clive...

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Ban Swastika (which the most auspicious symbol, other than Om in Hinduism) because Nazis used it! What is our fault in that?
Tyr is Twastr in the Vedas, a name of Indra (so is Thor too, Vritraghna in Vedas, Verethragna in Avesta),
Same for the Hammer and Runes. They are auspicious to pagans.

Over one million Indian troops served overseas, of whom 62,000 died and another 67,000 were wounded. In total at least 74,187 Indian soldiers died during the war.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_Army_during_World_War_I
Over 87,000 Indian soldiers (including those from modern day Pakistan, and Banglad esh) and 3 million civilians died in World War II. Field Marshal Sir Claude Auchinleck, Commander-in-Chief, India, asserted the British "couldn't have come through both wars [World War I and II] if they hadn't had the Indian Army."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/India_in_World_War_II

Last edited:

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member
Thor's Hammer

Claims Viking Symbols and Runes May Be Banned – The Fuller Picture

The Elder Futhark Runes and Mjolnir Hammer pendants are associated with white supremacists, should we ban them, as Sweden tried to?

That would be like trying to ban the Arabic script just because entities such as ISIL and the Taliban have it on their flags.

By the way, I am not surprised that the Swedish government in particular even considered banning Scandinavian religious symbols.

RestlessSoul

Ban Swastika (which the most auspicious symbol, other than Om in Hinduism) because Nazis used it! What is our fault in that?
Tyr is Twastr in the Vedas, a name of Indra (so is Thor too, Vritraghna in Vedas, Verethragna in Avesta),
Same for the Hammer and Runes. They are auspicious to pagans.

Over one million Indian troops served overseas, of whom 62,000 died and another 67,000 were wounded. In total at least 74,187 Indian soldiers died during the war.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_Army_during_World_War_I
Over 87,000 Indian soldiers (including those from modern day Pakistan, and Banglad esh) and 3 million civilians died in World War II. Field Marshal Sir Claude Auchinleck, Commander-in-Chief, India, asserted the British "couldn't have come through both wars [World War I and II] if they hadn't had the Indian Army."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/India_in_World_War_II

I may be wrong, but I don’t think any government has plans to ban images of the swastika per se. It’s the Nazi emblem, specifically a black swastika in a white circle on a red flag, which is outlawed in Germany and some other countries.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
We too do not like Black swastika, it is normally red (vermilion) or orange/yellow (sandalwood paste with or without saffron) or henna on the hands of women during festivals and marriages. Example of all the three in my avatara and images.
Edit: These days,in India, chemical colors and artificial fragrance are added to henna for quick setting.

1.jpg
c8bb8fbb1f1e5e1c81731f8b265abd47.jpg

Last edited:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Any symbol can be abused by a group. That does not make it bad. And they can be highly useful when disgusting hate filled people adopt a symbol and label themselves with it. Getting rid of the symbol does not make their hatred go away and it makes them slightly harder to identify.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
We should ban everything we don't like and take away people's rights to have what they like.

Except Stormbreaker. We can't ban Stormbreaker.

People are so petty...and tiny.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Thor's Hammer

Claims Viking Symbols and Runes May Be Banned – The Fuller Picture

The Elder Futhark Runes and Mjolnir Hammer pendants are associated with white supremacists, should we ban them, as Sweden tried to?
In Germany some symbols are already banned (and have been since over 70 years). Those are especially the swastika and the SS runes. In theory any symbols and flags used by organizations banned for being anti-democratic can be banned, too. But that rarely happens so the slippery slope argument doesn't hold.
Being able to ban a symbol and enforcing that ban is a message to undemocratic organizations that a country is a "militant democracy" and not a push-over. Refraining from overuse is a message that the country is still democratic.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
One big difference in India are the dots in the swastika. They are, sort of, obligatory; meaning fullness - nothing empty.
The first image is that of a plate which will be used in a worship ritual - sandalwood paste with saffron. That will also be used to put a dot mark on the forehead of people assembled for the ritual.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
So we could say that in a way, the Nazi swastika is an empty symbol? I kind of like that implication.
Well, kind of. Although we will find Swastikas without dots on buildings, printings. Another difference is the extension of the stroke as you see in the first image. That also is used in more personal things. So, our Swastika is different from the Nazi Swastika. Ours is (what should I say) more lyrical, soft. It is not a harsh, dominating, black Nazi Swastika.

flat,128x,075,f-pad,128x128,f8f8f8.u4.jpg
swastik_swastika_holy_religion_hindu_indian-128.png
shubh-labh-DW72_l.jpg

The ultimate, pitcher with leaves and a coconut (fullness), and the script reading "Auspicious + Gain" (honestly earned gain and not dishonest inauspicious gain).
swastik-1570153304.jpg
om-swastik-sticker-NQ56_l.jpg

Last edited: