• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

[Poll] Vegan vs Carnivore

Which diet do you think is healthier?

• Keto carnivore

• Vegan

Results are only viewable after voting.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
That's been proven incorrect.
No, it hasn't.
Learn the facts about fat
Because saturated fat tends to raise low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol levels in the blood. High cholesterol levels can increase your risk of heart disease and stroke.
The truth about fats: the good, the bad, and the in-between - Harvard Health
A diet rich in saturated fats can drive up total cholesterol, and tip the balance toward more harmful LDL cholesterol, which prompts blockages to form in arteries in the heart and elsewhere in the body. For that reason, most nutrition experts recommend limiting saturated fat to under 10% of calories a day.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
Fat is needed to build cell membranes, the vital exterior of each cell, and the sheaths surrounding nerves. It is essential for blood clotting, muscle movement, and inflammation. For long-term health, some fats are better than others. Good fats include monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats. Bad ones include industrial-made trans fats. Saturated fats fall somewhere in the middle.

So what you should really avoid is deep fried food.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
I suggest that results will vary among individuals.

I think this is most likely the case. There are whole populations that subsist entirely or almost entirely on an animal-based diet: the Masia in Africa and the Inuit in the artic to give two examples. According to accounts by early explorers both populations enjoyed excellent health.

By contrast, members of each group have been observed to suffer an extreme decline in overall health once exposed to a more varied, modern diet.

Last edited:

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Keto sounds a bit mental.

"Following such a diet means you will be replacing carbs with foods rich in fat and protein, and if followed over an extended period of time this may have unfavourable consequences for some individuals.

An intake of high fat foods is likely to increase your saturated fat intake which... recommend that we limit to 30g for men and 20g for women.

If you are interested in adopting this sort of diet you should consult your GP to confirm it is appropriate and safe for you to do so.

The symptoms associated with ketosis are often temporary and may relate to dehydration. These may include headache, dry mouth, bad breath, fatigue and nausea. However, it’s worth noting that because the diet restricts carbs it is typically low in dietary fibre which may have a negative impact on gut health including the presence of gut friendly bacteria."

- What is a keto diet? | BBC Good Food

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I wonder how vegans can give up milk or cheese.

Easy. I stopped buying it. :D

I thought I'd really miss dairy cheese, but I soon found it seemed unappealing. Indeed when my partner and I go round a supermarket we both think the smell from the cheese aisle is nauseating. It's all in the brain ain't it!

MikeF

Premium Member
Keto sounds a bit mental.

"Following such a diet means you will be replacing carbs with foods rich in fat and protein, and if followed over an extended period of time this may have unfavourable consequences for some individuals.

An intake of high fat foods is likely to increase your saturated fat intake which... recommend that we limit to 30g for men and 20g for women.

If you are interested in adopting this sort of diet you should consult your GP to confirm it is appropriate and safe for you to do so.

The symptoms associated with ketosis are often temporary and may relate to dehydration. These may include headache, dry mouth, bad breath, fatigue and nausea. However, it’s worth noting that because the diet restricts carbs it is typically low in dietary fibre which may have a negative impact on gut health including the presence of gut friendly bacteria."

- What is a keto diet? | BBC Good Food

Isn't trying to change ones eating habits all about the mental?

To be fair, biologically all one must do is maintain a diet that allows them to reproduce and help one's offspring survive to reproductive age. After that, existence is superfluous, no? I think its victory on that front everywhere except where there is famine. No diets required.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Oh I've seen lots of pictures of prominent vegans... Especially the ones that have been doing it for a long time... they usually have chicken necks.
Presumably not the vegan bodybuilders you see on youtube.

Your comment is like me saying long-term meat-eaters are usually overweight.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Easy. I stopped buying it. :D

I thought I'd really miss dairy cheese, but I soon found it seemed unappealing. Indeed when my partner and I go round a supermarket we both think the smell from the cheese aisle is nauseating. It's all in the brain ain't it!
My endocrinologist says I should drink milk or dairy.
By the way, I understand why many are not really into it.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
The thing is, you never see an overweight or obese vegan.......
If one long-term consumes more calories than one expends then one will become overweight, irrespective of diet. Chips (cooked in vegetable oil) is a vegan item, but a vegan diet based on this would obviously be unhealthy. Perhaps those who choose a vegan diet are more likely to make other healthy lifestyle choices?

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
Presumably not the vegan bodybuilders you see on youtube.

Your comment is like me saying long-term meat-eaters are usually overweight.
Well if course any bodybuilder is going to look better... But it's a whole lot easier to be a bodybuilder eating meat.
Why would you go to all the trouble to find protein rich plants when you could just eat a steak?

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Well if course any bodybuilder is going to look better... But it's a whole lot easier to be a bodybuilder eating meat.
Why would you go to all the trouble to find protein rich plants when you could just eat a steak?
Maybe people have other concerns too? "All the trouble" ? You mean, go into a food shop?

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
UsZFRqjXwsiSKXLS9
b8b651jev4351.png