• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poll: Listening Preferences

Which option most closely describes the kind of music that you listen to?

• Total voters

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
My classical listening was a lot more several decades ago when my vinyl HiFi was still functioning, but not so much now, since now the music available to me is CDs of some of the vinyl albums plus new stuff, and mostly ripped to mp3s for playing via the computer or a Denon CD/Radio unit with USB input. I also have many cassettes - compilations and some recorded by a friend, who introduced me to Electronic music (Kistenmacher, Schultz, etc) and to Blowzabella and Dead Can Dance - my two favourites.

Most of the music I listen to is a variety from the late 60s/ early 70s plus some later stuff, and being - Prog Rock (King Crimson, Nice, Van de Graaf Generator, etc.), Folk (Steeleye Span, Fairport), Blues (Some American, some British), Modern Jazz (Some of the classic players), Chinese/Japanese/Javanese (instrumental), Irish (Planxty, Chieftains, etc.), some comic stuff (Bonzo Dog, etc.), and anything I fancy - all randomised into a list of my favourite tracks. Apart from a few Lily Allen tracks, a few Punk tracks (Stranglers, Clash, Damned, etc.) and some classic songs from any era, I don't think I have that much that might be considered Popular, and I rarely listen to modern stuff - I quite like some Billy Eilish. I used to listen a lot to classical on the radio but even that I don't tend to do much now.

You've got eclectic tastes like me. Ah, 70s prog eh - when bands could actually play their instruments! Some of the best gigs, luckily when they were in their prime - VdGG, ELP, Floyd, Crimson.... I saw Crimson in 2018 and it was absolutely amazing. Here's a couple of obscurities - Hammill's books of lyrics, poems and stories. :)
C950267A-054D-4040-8C77-2CE0A3D937DA.jpeg

Last edited:

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
You've got eclectic tastes like me. Ah, 70s prog eh - when bands could actually play their instruments! Some of the best gigs, luckily when they were in their prime - VdGG, ELP, Floyd, Crimson.... I saw Crimson in 2018 and it was absolutely amazing. Here's a couple of obscurities - Hammill's books of lyrics, poems and stories. :)
View attachment 39643

Someone who has just as much taste as myself then. :D I saw all those mentioned in concert in the late 60s or early 70s and none of them disappointed, although I probably preferred the Nice to ELP. I saw VdGG in a smallish venue and they were great, as were Floyd in a concert setting and at the Bath Festival. I went to as many Jazz concerts as Rock and Blues then, with a few folk concerts thrown in. Hammill's lyrics might not appeal to many, or the music of VdGG in general, but once bitten .. :D

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Hammill was the only deity I ever believed in. But...

Does the idol have feet of clay?

Probably a lot better than some - I know many who worship Dylan for some reason. :D

I have most of VdGG's first few albums - the first (The Least We Can Do Is Wave to Each Other) was given to me by a friend, perhaps knowing I liked it better than he did, and I thought that this was their first album, but apparently it isn't. Hammill perhaps has a lot in common with Bob Sinfield, and like Crimson, a group one either takes to or not as much on the lyrics as the music. My friend also gave me the Spring album, which I suspect has increased in value somewhat since then - I did offer it back to him but he declined.

I think I might have some psychological condition, a low tolerance for things much the same, such that I'm much more likely to scrape the best (as I see it) from all the various genres than to hit on one particular artist or genre. I suspected it was the unusual that often grabbed me, such that I particularly like pieces of music that have striking openings or endings, or any that have unusual time signatures (Golden Brown, Take Five, etc.), but I do like many vocalists (Billie Holiday, Laurie Anderson, Dylan, Emer Kenny, Joni Mitchell, Natalie Merchant, Sandy Denny, etc.) although I suppose many of these are not exactly that popular compared to what we normally hear in our media. But perhaps it is that I like to think that there is so much good music out there, and it would be a waste if one went through life not to discover such. Seeing some cassettes with just descriptive Chinese characters, for example, I got to hear some and was immediately taken by such - Classical Chinese instrumental music - and I have perhaps done the same by listening to radio programmes - giving me an interest in Early Music. I found Ros Sereysothea like this too. My collection is about as eclectic as one could get I think - and I'm not complaining. :D Best to have the pinnacle of any individual or group than all their work (makes room for others), although I have broken this rule. :oops:

I think I might be reasonably normal though - liking Sandy Denny's voice but also loving the skill of the musicians as much and the songs themselves, or loving Laurie Anderson's voice similarly and her ability to be so inventive, or the simplicity and angst of Tim Hardin. Not to mention the pure skill of solo musicians.

So much music to listen to in a lifetime - if one abandons the usual or expected. :cool:

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Probably a lot better than some - I know many who worship Dylan for some reason. :D

I have most of VdGG's first few albums - the first (The Least We Can Do Is Wave to Each Other) was given to me by a friend, perhaps knowing I liked it better than he did, and I thought that this was their first album, but apparently it isn't. Hammill perhaps has a lot in common with Bob Sinfield, and like Crimson, a group one either takes to or not as much on the lyrics as the music. My friend also gave me the Spring album, which I suspect has increased in value somewhat since then - I did offer it back to him but he declined.

I think I might have some psychological condition, a low tolerance for things much the same, such that I'm much more likely to scrape the best (as I see it) from all the various genres than to hit on one particular artist or genre. I suspected it was the unusual that often grabbed me, such that I particularly like pieces of music that have striking openings or endings, or any that have unusual time signatures (Golden Brown, Take Five, etc.), but I do like many vocalists (Billie Holiday, Laurie Anderson, Dylan, Emer Kenny, Joni Mitchell, Natalie Merchant, Sandy Denny, etc.) although I suppose many of these are not exactly that popular compared to what we normally hear in our media. But perhaps it is that I like to think that there is so much good music out there, and it would be a waste if one went through life not to discover such. Seeing some cassettes with just descriptive Chinese characters, for example, I got to hear some and was immediately taken by such - Classical Chinese instrumental music - and I have perhaps done the same by listening to radio programmes - giving me an interest in Early Music. I found Ros Sereysothea like this too. My collection is about as eclectic as one could get I think - and I'm not complaining. :D Best to have the pinnacle of any individual or group than all their work (makes room for others), although I have broken this rule. :oops:

I think I might be reasonably normal though - liking Sandy Denny's voice but also loving the skill of the musicians as much and the songs themselves, or loving Laurie Anderson's voice similarly and her ability to be so inventive, or the simplicity and angst of Tim Hardin. Not to mention the pure skill of solo musicians.

So much music to listen to in a lifetime - if one abandons the usual or expected. :cool:

Yes, I think the first VdGG LP was The Aerosol Grey Machine. Not very good as I recall. I think they peaked with Still Life.
I'm thinking you mean Pete Sinfield!?
What's the Spring album?

I suppose that's why we've got such eclectic collections - the attraction of the different, the unusual and - yes - the tricky time signatures! (remember a band called Egg?). When I got into classical music a few years ago, after familiarising myself with the "big" names I have since come to enjoy more some of the more "individualistic" composers such as Scelsi and Takemitsu.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Yes, I think the first VdGG LP was The Aerosol Grey Machine. Not very good as I recall. I think they peaked with Still Life.
I'm thinking you mean Pete Sinfield!?
What's the Spring album?

I suppose that's why we've got such eclectic collections - the attraction of the different, the unusual and - yes - the tricky time signatures! (remember a band called Egg?). When I got into classical music a few years ago, after familiarising myself with the "big" names I have since come to enjoy more some of the more "individualistic" composers such as Scelsi and Takemitsu.

Yes, that would be Pete Sinfield. :oops: I've got The Polite Force by Egg, and at least one by Caravan - even one by Soft Machine. I think my rhythm thing came from Take Five by Brubeck actually, and again coming from a friend - at school. Not heard of the two composers, but I must admit, I didn't stray too far in the Classical field other than when something came up on the radio and I explored further. Plenty to explore I suppose but I'm not even looking at most modern music much of the time and no doubt I will be missing much here too.

Spring (6) - Spring

It's no doubt one of those love-it-or-leave-it albums - all mellotron and distinctive voice. :D

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Yes, that would be Pete Sinfield. :oops: I've got The Polite Force by Egg, and at least one by Caravan - even one by Soft Machine. I think my rhythm thing came from Take Five by Brubeck actually, and again coming from a friend - at school. Not heard of the two composers, but I must admit, I didn't stray too far in the Classical field other than when something came up on the radio and I explored further. Plenty to explore I suppose but I'm not even looking at most modern music much of the time and no doubt I will be missing much here too.

Spring (6) - Spring

It's no doubt one of those love-it-or-leave-it albums - all mellotron and distinctive voice. :D
Love egg!
I saw Soft Machine a few months ago. I really enjoyed it and bought a cheap box set but I can't say I've found it very engaging so far.
That Spring album could be mine for £100 smackers! (Played a track on youtube - reminds me a bit of Hatfield and the North)

Last edited:

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Love egg!
I saw Soft Machine a few months ago. I really enjoyed it and bought a cheap box set but I can't say I've found it very engaging so far.
That Spring album could be mine for £100 smackers! (Played a track on youtube - reminds me a bit of Hatfield and the North)

I think a CD of it would be cheaper. :D

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
A music thread isn't a music thread without lists! So here is one (in alphabetical order only):

My Top Ten Best Prog Rock Tracks.

Egg - Long Piece No.1

Egg - Symphony No.2

ELP - Karn Evil 9

King Crimson - Fracture

King Crimson - Starless

Pink Floyd - Money

Thinking Plague - Organism

Van der Graaf Generator - Pawn Hearts

Van der Graaf Generator - Still Life

Yes - Close to the Edge

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
A music thread isn't a music thread without lists! So here is one (in alphabetical order only):

My Top Ten Best Prog Rock Tracks.

Egg - Long Piece No.1

Egg - Symphony No.2

ELP - Karn Evil 9

King Crimson - Fracture

King Crimson - Starless

Pink Floyd - Money

Thinking Plague - Organism

Van der Graaf Generator - Pawn Hearts

Van der Graaf Generator - Still Life

Yes - Close to the Edge

Now I'll have to do some more listening to get to mine. :D I had some Yes albums but I think they got traded. :oops: And does Colosseum's Valentyne Suite count here? If so, one of mine.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Now I'll have to do some more listening to get to mine. :D I had some Yes albums but I think they got traded. :oops: And does Colosseum's Valentyne Suite count here? If so, one of mine.
It's your list, if you think it counts - it counts. :thumbsup:
(Colosseum was the first band I saw at the invitation of my older brother. I just remember feeling deafened!)

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
Yes, I have heard The HU! Sorry, that eg was meant as a joke because sometimes threads like this end up being discussions about genre definitions and who is and who isn't in what sub genre.

These days I mainly listen to classical but for many years it was mostly rock - and mostly metal and prog. On the metal front, AiC remain a real favourite of mine.
Here you go! AiC with the Seattle Symphony!

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
It's your list, if you think it counts - it counts. :thumbsup:
(Colosseum was the first band I saw at the invitation of my older brother. I just remember feeling deafened!)

Righty, well this is a short list although for some groups I'll just have to nominate one:

Hawkwind - Spirit of The Age
VdGG - Whatever Would Robert Have Said (whole album)
King Crimson - 21st Century Schizoid Man
Pink Floyd - Astronomy Domine
Colosseum - Valentyne Suite (whole album)
The Nice - She Belongs to Me (whole album)
The Doors - Riders on The Storm
Barclay James Harvest - She Said (whole album)
The Strawbs - The Battle (whole album)

Still have many I can't listen to as only on vinyl though. :oops:

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Why not buy yourself a deck then? :shrug:

Nice list. Never thought of Hawkwind or the Strawbs as prog...?

(I saw Hawkwind twice - I may have got stoned on both occasions - simply by being in the audience!)

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Why not buy yourself a deck then? :shrug:

Nice list. Never thought of Hawkwind or the Strawbs as prog...?

(I saw Hawkwind twice - I may have got stoned on both occasions - simply by being in the audience!)

I think both sneak in, not that I have followed the formal designation of where groups are placed. :D It' not the deck, that's just about OK, although it could no doubt do with a new stylus, but more the amp - a Sugden's A48 - which needs taking to the manufacturer's for repair. Still going when I last checked. And it's this and the expense when I might not listen that much to the vinyl. I always hated vinyl anyway. Plus, the speakers (some Celef Monitors, so quite good) either need some new cones or new drivers, so more expense. :oops: I also have a cassette deck that needs new drive belts, although I did buy another a few years back that is OK. But mainly I'm too lazy when I can listen to much of it in mp3 format. I do use Spotify occasionally or look stuff up on YouTube or Vimeo though.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Oh dear that is some project work. I know what you mean about mp3s. I never thought I'd lower myself to such lower-fi with all my shiny CDs (and cassettes). But it's so easy with my Amazon app. Plus I get to create 12 hour playlists...

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I hated vinyl too. I was forever taking albums back to the shop because of faults with them. I think the shop owner got sick of seeing me.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Oh dear that is some project work. I know what you mean about mp3s. I never thought I'd lower myself to such lower-fi with all my shiny CDs (and cassettes). But it's so easy with my Amazon app. Plus I get to create 12 hour playlists...

At my age, 320k rips are enough. Pardon! :oops:

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I hated vinyl too. I was forever taking albums back to the shop because of faults with them. I think the shop owner got sick of seeing me.

One of my best buys (50p) was an apparently damaged copy of The Wanton Muse by Ewan MacColl, except all it needed was some meths to remove some small waxy mess from the grooves - plays perfect, and so saucy. :cool: