• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poll: Ancient Greeks or Romans?

Who were the greatest civilisation?

• Total voters

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Which civilisation was best out of the Ancient Greeks and the Romans?

Personally I'd go for the Greeks, they have given us:

Democracy
Theatre
Philosophy
Geometry
History

(all Greek words)

The Romans on the other hand were richer, more politically unified, and had a much bigger empire although Alexander The Great did conquer a great deal of territory but then he didn't hold onto it for too long

The Romans were also good at engineering but the Greeks had Archimedes

And both had awesome militaries, such as the legions and the phalanx

And modern French, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, and Romanian come from Latin so that's quite a legacy

However: the Romans copied the Greek Gods

On balance, I'm going to vote for the Greeks although I must declare that I am part Greek

Last edited:

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Also: Christianity is as it is thanks to the Romans

So that too is quite a legacy

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I'd say Rome. The Greeks were a good starting point with the beginnings of modern civilization. Rome took the Greek ideas, built on them and introduced ideas of their own.
Greece had more of an impact but Rome refined civilization, the law, roads (some of which are still in use today), plumbing, etc and united Europe.

Viker

Häxan
We owe much to ancient Greece. And Rome is an example, for better or worse and for what to or not to do, for much of civilization to follow.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Democracy? Ask their slaves about that. Yes, they gave us the concept, but ancient Greece was anything but a democracy. Not all people know this.
All democracies hugely favour the rich there has never been a democracy that hasn't

And yet it is the best system ever devised!

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Neither. I'm siding with the "barbarian" Celtic and Germanic tribes, who were my actual ancestors. I'm not siding with the people who enslaved, conquered and mistreated them for centuries. The Greeks were a little better as I admire their contributions to art and philosophy, but they treated women like trash and both the Greeks and Romans preferred screwing young boys.

The Germanic tribes also had a form of democracy. The Icelandic Althing is the oldest parliament in Europe and one of the oldest in the world, over a thousand years old. Women were also treated somewhat better in Northern cultures. They didn't bang kids, either.

Bthoth

*banned*
Which civilisation was best out of the Ancient Greeks and the Romans?

Personally I'd go for the Greeks, they have given us:

Democracy
Theatre
Philosophy
Geometry
History

(all Greek words)

The Romans on the other hand were richer, more politically unified, and had a much bigger empire although Alexander The Great did conquer a great deal of territory but then he didn't hold onto it for too long

The Romans were also good at engineering but the Greeks had Archimedes

And both had awesome militaries, such as the legions and the phalanx

And modern French, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, and Romanian come from Latin so that's quite a legacy

However: the Romans copied the Greek Gods

On balance, I'm going to vote for the Greeks although I must declare that I am part Greek
One of the best threads here on RF that I have seen in a while.

Cudos.

You forgot the word 'christos'