• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poll about theft

If Person B steals from Person A and gives the item to Person C, is Person C obligated to return it?

• Yes

Votes: 32 91.4%
  • No

Votes: 3 8.6%

• Total voters

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
That is your cultural imperialism speaking. ;)

In what way would this be imperialism to preserve something against destruction by a tyrannical group that just happens to be in power for a time? It was a very far-fetched scenario. The idea would be to get the object (if we're talking about an object) back to the people safely; not into the hands of a group that just happens to be in power by threat of violence that would destroy it.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
In what way would this be imperialism to preserve something against destruction by a tyrannical group that just happens to be in power for a time? It was a very far-fetched scenario.

There is no objective evidence for the term tyrannical. It is culture and in the eye of the beholder. You are using your culture to judge other cultures and preventing them doing what they want.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
There is no objective evidence for the term tyrannical. It is culture and in the eye of the beholder. You are using your culture to judge other cultures and preventing them doing what they want.

Okay, this seems like such an extreme form of cultural relativism that we might need to hash out exactly what it is you're saying.

Are you saying that a person must accept any brutal practices of any government else be an imperialist?

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Okay, this seems like such an extreme form of cultural relativism that we might need to hash out exactly what it is you're saying.

Are you saying that a person must accept any brutal practices of any government else be an imperialist?

You missed the ;)
But yes, I don't like some other cultures, but that is subjective and to claim humanity is in effect imperialistic.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
You missed the ;)
But yes, I don't like some other cultures, but that is subjective and to claim humanity is in effect imperialistic.

Any ethical determination with force behind it is a form of imperialism I guess. Just like any ethical determination codified into law with force behind it within a country is violence. It is up to our values under what circumstances these things are acceptable or unacceptable.

I think very few people would disagree with using power to stop genocide for instance.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Any ethical determination with force behind it is a form of imperialism I guess. Just like any ethical determination codified into law with force behind it within a country is violence. It is up to our values under what circumstances these things are acceptable or unacceptable.

I think very few people would disagree with using power to stop genocide for instance.

Well, strong pacifists would. I tried to become one, but my younger Mikkel as a former professional won't let me. So I have learned to live with that and accept that I am not perfect. The willingness to use force always comes at a price. Power is in the end never just as in regards to humanity. It is always in part I better at killing you than you are or in reverse.

Last edited:

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
Well, strong pacifists would. I tried to become one, but my younger Mikkel as a former professional won't let me. So I have learned to live with that and accept that I am not perfect. The willingness to use force always comes at a price. Power is in the end never just as in regards to humanity. It is always in part I better at killing you that you are or in reverse.

I don't disagree. That's fundamentally what it all is; it's two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner. That's even with representational and constitutional democracy (if enough people decide to change it, they can and will). But this is why we need to do things like fight Nazis. If we don't, there might eventually be more of them, or stronger, than us.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
I don't disagree. That's fundamentally what it all is; it's two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner. That's even with representational and constitutional democracy (if enough people decide to change it, they can and will). But this is why we need to do things like fight Nazis. If we don't, there might eventually be more of them, or stronger, than us.

Yeah, us versus them. Aren't the psychological/social effects of biology in humans great?!! ;)

Well, I wonder if the Borg are better, but since I am not one, I would fight them. :D

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Yeah, us versus them. Aren't the psychological/social effects of biology in humans great?!! ;)

Well, I wonder if the Borg are better, but since I am not one, I would fight them. :D
What have others (Borg) done to you, so that you wish to fight them? War or fighting never end in a good way.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
I have a general idea yes. But if they were real, what have they done to you personally, so you want to harm them?

They genocide entire worlds. I'd say that's worth fighting.

Edit: Correction, since many civilizations span multiple worlds, I should say that they genocide entire sectors of the galaxy.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion

To be serious in your spirit. It sometimes becomes weird. For slave reparations it means the citizen of Iceland should pay themselves.