• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Politicians should stop being arrogant!

A Republican just told me the American people voted in Trump. They didn't. A unique coalition of American voters got him in the Oval Office.

The Republicans and Democrats have their heads up their asses!

Politicians need to stop being dumbasses!

They need to be smarter!

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
A Republican just told me the American people voted in Trump. They didn't. A unique coalition of American voters got him in the Oval Office.

They need to be smarter!

Definitely time to throw out the Electoral College.

Gore won the people's popular vote and Bush was put in by the Electoral College.

Hillary Clinton won the people's popular vote and the Electoral College put in the idiot instead. :eek::confused:

Callisto

Hellenismos, BTW
Definitely time to throw out the Electoral College.

Gore won the people's popular vote and Bush was put in by the Electoral College.

Hillary Clinton won the people's popular vote and the Electoral College put in the idiot instead. :eek::confused:

Unfortunately, the feasibility is currently slim to none since it would take a two-thirds vote in both the House and Senate plus a ratification by at least three-fourths of US states (38 out of 50).

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

I would say it was more of a regional affair. Hillary won the more liberal coastal states, while Trump won the more conservative "flyover" states. Trump won 30 states, while Hillary only won 20.

Neither candidate received an absolute majority in terms of the popular vote.

They need to be smarter!

One could also argue that the politicians are the smart ones, at least the ones who know how to get elected and re-elected. It's the voters who need to smarten up, along with those who don't even bother to vote.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn

Unfortunately, the feasibility is currently slim to none since it would take a two-thirds vote in both the House and Senate plus a ratification by at least three-fourths of US states (38 out of 50).
People keep saying this, but it really isn't true.
If enough states to win the Electoral College vote passed laws requiring their electoral delegates to vote for the candidate who wins the popular vote we would have a democracy. It wouldn't matter what the rest of the states did. ~2/3rds of the necessary voters have done so already.
More facts available at nationalpopularvote.com

Tom

Callisto

Hellenismos, BTW
People keep saying this, but it really isn't true.
If enough states to win the Electoral College vote passed laws requiring their electoral delegates to vote for the candidate who wins the popular vote we would have a democracy. It wouldn't matter what the rest of the states did. ~2/3rds of the necessary voters have done so already.
More facts available at nationalpopularvote.com

Tom

So basically pass laws that would amount to the same result as simply having a direct vote with no electoral college.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
So basically pass laws that would amount to the same result as simply having a direct vote with no electoral college.
Correct.
The Constitution gives each state the authority to decide for itself how to determine it's votes for president. If 270 Electoral College delegates are required to vote for the popular winner, we are a democracy.
I would prefer a Constitutional amendment. But that really isn't feasible, and I wouldn't trust the scumbags currently in Washington DC with the power to alter the election system anyways.
Tom