• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Political Moderates

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
I keep hearing people say that they are not conservative or liberal, but that they are moderate. It sounds nice, reasonable, not extreme, moderate... But I am wondering what that really means. If the country moves far to the right, then being a "moderate" in that millieu would look different than if the country moves far to the left.

For me, I hold the positions that I hold because I think they are right, and that would be true whether the country as a whole is liberal or conservative. It just so happens that in these circumstances I would be called a liberal. But if the country were to dramatically shift to the left overnight, I would not change my views in order to be even more left (and remain a liberal). I would be happy to be called a moderate.

It seems to me that "moderate" indicates a desire to maintain the status quo. That's fine if one is happy with the status quo. Not so fine if one believes that things need changing. So my question to all you self-described moderates out there, are you happy with the way things are now? What would it take - how different would it have to be - for you to think of yourself as a liberal or a conservative?

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
lilithu said:
...It seems to me that "moderate" indicates a desire to maintain the status quo...
I tend to disagree as 'moderate' seems more likely to mean someone is avoiding the extremes on a given topic.

Example, the status quo in America right now is that same sex marriage is outlawed. Conservatives are certainly in favor of the status quo, but those of us who are socially moderate are not.

Because of economic issues, I will never be a liberal, and because of social issues I'm not as far right as most conservatives. Overall, some people would label me a moderate. I'm fine with that, as long as they don't mean it a 'dirty' word. ;)