• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Please help me correctly interpret the verses ISIS uses in the Hadiths and the Koran

Spiderman

Veteran Member
so everyone knows Islam is a Religion of peace, and I truly want to believe that, just having difficulty interpreting these verses and would appreciate if you would help me put them in their peaceful context. It could be that they are just symbolic of an inner struggle that we must fight to overcome sin.

Tabari 7:97 The morning after the murder of Ashraf, the Prophet declared, “Kill any Jew who falls under your power.” Ashraf was a poet, killed by Muhammad’s men because he insulted Islam.

Tabari 9:69 “Killing Unbelievers is a small matter to us” The words of Muhammad, prophet of Islam.

Ibn Ishaq: 327 – “Allah said, ‘A prophet must slaughter before collecting captives. A slaughtered enemy is driven from the land. Muhammad, you craved the desires of this world, its goods and the ransom captives would bring. But Allah desires killing them to manifest the religion.’”

Ibn Ishaq: 992 –Fight everyone in the way of Allah and kill those who disbelieve in Allah.” Muhammad’s instructions to his men

Quran (2:216) – “Fighting is prescribed for you, and ye dislike it. But it is possible that ye dislike a thing which is good for you, and that ye love a thing which is bad for you. But Allah knoweth, and ye know not.”

Quran (3:56) – “As to those who reject faith, I will punish them with terrible agony in this world and in the Hereafter, nor will they have anyone to help.”

Quran (3:151) – “Soon shall We cast terror into the hearts of the Unbelievers, for that they joined companions with Allah, for which He had sent no authority”.

Quran (4:89) – “They but wish that ye should reject Faith, as they do, and thus be on the same footing (as they): But take not friends from their ranks until they flee in the way of Allah (From what is forbidden). But if they turn renegades, seize them and slay them wherever ye find them; and (in any case) take no friends or helpers from their ranks.”

Quran (4:95) – “Not equal are those believers who sit (at home) and receive no hurt, and those who strive and fight in the cause of Allah with their goods and their persons. Allah hath granted a grade higher to those who strive and fight with their goods and persons than to those who sit (at home). Unto all (in Faith) Hath Allah promised good: But those who strive and fight Hath He distinguished above those who sit (at home) by a special reward,-” It appears this passage criticizes “peaceful” Muslims.

Quran (4:104) – “And be not weak hearted in pursuit of the enemy; if you suffer pain, then surely they (too) suffer pain as you suffer pain…”

Quran (5:33) – “The punishment of those who wage war against Allah and His messenger and strive to make mischief in the land is only this, that they should be murdered or crucified or their hands and their feet should be cut off on opposite sides or they should be imprisoned; this shall be as a disgrace for them in this world, and in the hereafter they shall have a grievous chastisement”

Quran (8:12) – “I will cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieve. Therefore strike off their heads and strike off every fingertip of them”

Quran (8:15) – “O ye who believe! When ye meet those who disbelieve in battle, turn not your backs to them. (16)Whoso on that day turneth his back to them, unless maneuvering for battle or intent to join a company, he truly hath incurred wrath from Allah, and his habitation will be hell, a hapless journey’s end.”

Quran (8:59-60) – “And let not those who disbelieve suppose that they can outstrip (Allah’s Purpose). Lo! they cannot escape.

Quran (8:65) – “O Prophet, exhort the believers to fight…”

Quran (9:5) – “So when the sacred months have passed away, then slay the idolaters wherever you find them, and take them captives and besiege them and lie in wait for them in every ambush, then if they repent and keep up prayer and pay the poor-rate, leave their way free to them.”

Quran (9:14) – “Fight them, Allah will punish them by your hands and bring them to disgrace…” Once again, the way Allah wishes to punnish them is by "your hands".

Quran (9:123) – “O you who believe! fight those of the unbelievers who are near to you and let them find in you hardness.”

Quran (33:60-62) – “If the hypocrites, and those in whose hearts is a disease, and the alarmists in the city do not cease, We verily shall urge thee on against them, then they will be your neighbors in it but a little while.

Accursed, they will be seized wherever found and slain with a (fierce) slaughter.” This passage sanctions the slaughter (rendered “merciless” and “horrible murder” in other translations)

Quran (47:3-4) – “Those who reject Allah follow vanities, while those who believe follow the truth from their lord. Thus does Allah set forth form men their lessons by similtudes. Therefore when you meet in battle those who disbelieve, then smite the necks until when you have overcome them, then make (them) prisoners,” Those who reject Allah are to be subdued in battle."

Quran (47:35) – Be not weary and faint-hearted, crying for peace, when ye should be uppermost

Quran (48:29) – “Muhammad is the messenger of Allah. And those with him are hard (ruthless) against the disbelievers and merciful among themselves”

From the Hadith:

Bukhari (52:177) – Allah’s Apostle said, “The Hour will not be established until you fight with the Jews, and the stone behind which a Jew will be hiding will say. “O Muslim! There is a Jew hiding behind me, so kill him.”

Bukhari (52:256) – The Prophet… was asked whether it was permissible to attack the pagan warriors at night with the probability of exposing their women and children to danger. The Prophet replied, “They (i.e. women and children) are from them (i.e. pagans).” In this command, Muhammad establishes that it is permissible to kill non-combatants in the process of killing a perceived enemy.

Bukhari (52:220) – Allah’s Apostle said… ‘I have been made victorious with terror’

Abu Dawud (14:2526) – The Prophet (peace_be_upon_him) said: Three things are the roots of faith: to refrain from (killing) a person who utters, “There is no god but Allah” and not to declare him unbeliever whatever sin he commits, and not to excommunicate him from Islam for his any action; and jihad will be performed continuously since the day Allah sent me as a prophet until the day the last member of my community will fight"

Abu Dawud (14:2527) – The Prophet said: Striving in the path of Allah (jihad) is incumbent (Necessary responsibility) on you along with every ruler, whether he is pious or impious

Muslim (1:33) – the Messenger of Allah said: I have been commanded to fight against people till they testify that there is no god but Allah, that Muhammad is the messenger of Allah

Bukhari (8:387) – Allah’s Apostle said, “I have been ordered to fight the people till they say: ‘None has the right to be worshipped but Allah

Muslim (1:149) – “Abu Dharr reported: I said: Messenger of Allah, which of the deeds is the best? He (the Holy Prophet) replied: Belief in Allah and Jihad in His cause…”

from the hadith of sahih bukhari (2)
Volume 1, #234
Narrated Abu Qilaba:
He (Muhammed) then ordered to cut their hands and feet (and it was done), and their eyes were branded with heated pieces of iron. They were put in 'Al-Harra' and when they asked for water, no water was given to them."

Okay, so, please keep this a politically correct thread and don't say anything that would indicate that Islam isn't a Religion of peace, because it has been proven that it is a peaceful Religion.

It is okay to debate what the verses mean, just please do it in a way that makes Islam look positive. It is important to discuss these verses because when I want to explain the benefits of Islam and that it is a Religion of peace, I keep getting stumped on these verses.

Muhammad (Peace be upon him) was as peaceful and Charitable as Mother Teresa of Calcutta, so I'm sure his intentions were never that people should take these verses literally. Perhaps they are symbolic, parables, poetry, hyperbole or they were peaceful until they were translated from Arabic? Thanks for your help and please let's keep this politically Correct and within the forum rules! Pax Tecum!

Last edited by a moderator:

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
Hi PopeAdope,

I can't go into this in detail now as I have a class to go to. So I'll just be brief as time allows.

Firstly. In the Quran, if one reads the 'transliteration', Hadiths are condemned and not accepted. (I can find the verses no problem) The only true authority and considered the Word of God by both Sunni and Shiah is the Holy Quran.

To understand Islam, as in any other Faith, we cannot divorce it from its history and culture. For instance one could say Judaism was violent but they were slaves mistreated for over 400 years and fought for their freedom. If we follow the history it all makes much more sense why they had to do a lot of what they did. It's the same with Islam. If we just look at Isis it's a very misleading picture. First Isis do not represent mainstream Islam and the history of Islam shows Muslims were oppressed tortured and killed for their beliefs whereas Isis are aggressors, murderers and mercenaries not suffering oppression.

Isis cherry pick verses or Suras from the Quran to do their evil work.

The overriding verses about military engagement were laid down in Medina in Sura 2:190 which enemies of Islam will never quote and Isis will never quote either - coincidence isn't it?

Have to go now but have a look at these verses. Thry set the parameters for war which is SELF DEFENSE.. On,y Isis and enemies of Islam won't quote this verse. Check all the different translations and you can see it's clear

2: 190 And fight for the religion of GOD against those who fight against you; but transgress not by attacking them first, for GOD loveth not the transgressors.

George Sale

2:190 And fight for the cause of God against those who fight against you: but commit not the injustice of attacking them first: God loveth not such injustice:

J M Rodwell

2:190 Fight for the sake of God those that fight against you, but do not attack them first. God does not love aggressors.

N J Dawood

2:190 Fight in the way of Allah against those who fight against you, but begin not hostilities. Lo! Allah loveth not aggressors.

Marmaduke Pickthall

2:190 AND FIGHT in God’s cause against those who wage war against you, but do not commit aggression –for, verily, God does not love aggressors.

Muhammad Assad

[2:190] You may fight in the cause of GOD against those who attack you, but do not aggress. GOD does not love the aggressors.

Rashad Khalifa

Last edited:

mojtaba

Tabari 7:97 The morning after the murder of Ashraf, the Prophet declared, “Kill any Jew who falls under your power.” Ashraf was a poet, killed by Muhammad’s men because he insulted Islam.

Tabari 9:69 “Killing Unbelievers is a small matter to us” The words of Muhammad, prophet of Islam.

Ibn Ishaq: 327 – “Allah said, ‘A prophet must slaughter before collecting captives. A slaughtered enemy is driven from the land. Muhammad, you craved the desires of this world, its goods and the ransom captives would bring. But Allah desires killing them to manifest the religion.’”

Ibn Ishaq: 992 –Fight everyone in the way of Allah and kill those who disbelieve in Allah.” Muhammad’s instructions to his men
Apparently these Hadiths could not be Sahih( authentic ).

Mecca disbelievers used to hurt Muslims. So Prophet Muhammad( peace be upon him ) according to the order of Allah, ordered Muslims to migrate to the Medina. They did and Prophet made a strong Islamic government here. After years, Prophet Muhammad created an army due to conquering Mecca.

When Mecca disbelievers saw the power of Muslims, they submited.

On the day of conquering Mecca, a thousand armored soldiers entered Mecca with the Prophet (s). When Sa'd b. 'Ubada passed with the banner of the Prophet (s) in front of Abu Sufyan( the head of disbelievers ), he shouted, "O Abu Sufyan! Today is the day of spilling bloods and God will humiliate Quraysh." When the Prophet (s) reached Abu Sufyan, Abu Sufyan said, "Have you ordered to kill your relatives? May I ask you by God about your own people and you are the most benevolent and affiliative among people." The Prophet (s) said, "Today is the day of mercy."
Then, the Prophet (s) ordered Imam 'Ali (a) to take the banner from Sa'd b. 'Ubada.
(See, http://en.wikishia.net/view/Conquest_of_Mecca)

Think about this Hadith of Prophet( peace be upon him and his pure progeny ). Disbelievers and polytheists of Mecca used to hurt and kill Muslims before their migration to the Medina. But when the power reached to the Prophet Muhammad ( peace be upon him and his pure progeny ), he said, "Today is the day of mercy."

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
You can look up the transliteration of the Arabic here:

http://www.quran411.com

These are just some of the Suras regarding Hadiths.

[Quran 7:185] Have they not looked at the dominion of the heavens and the earth, and all the things God has created? Does it ever occur to them that the end of their life may be near? Which HADITH, besides this (Quran) do they believe in?

[Quran 31:6] Among the people, there are those who uphold baseless HADITH, and thus divert others from the path of God without knowledge, and take it in vain. These have incurred a shameful retribution.

[Quran 39:23] God has revealed herein the BEST HADITH; a book that is consistent and points out both ways (to heaven and hell). The skins of those who reverence their Lord cringe therefrom, then their skins and their hearts soften up for God's message. Such is God's guidance; he bestows it upon whomever He wills. As for those sent astray by God, nothing can guide them.

[Quran 45:6] These are God's revelations (Quran) that we recite to you truthfully. In which HADITH other than God and His revelations do they believe?

[Quran 52:34] Let them produce a HADITH like this (Quran) if they are truthful.

[Quran 68:44] Therefore, let Me deal with those who reject this HADITH(Quran); we will lead them on whence they never perceive.

[Quran 77:50] Which HADITH other than this do they uphold?

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Yes...it is very sad so many people take these verses to be literal and apply them to our 21st century...what is the solution? Nothing seems to work :(

But I appreciate the time you took to explain it

mojtaba

You can look up the transliteration of the Arabic here:

http://www.quran411.com

These are just some of the Suras regarding Hadiths.

[Quran 7:185] Have they not looked at the dominion of the heavens and the earth, and all the things God has created? Does it ever occur to them that the end of their life may be near? Which HADITH, besides this (Quran) do they believe in?

[Quran 31:6] Among the people, there are those who uphold baseless HADITH, and thus divert others from the path of God without knowledge, and take it in vain. These have incurred a shameful retribution.

[Quran 39:23] God has revealed herein the BEST HADITH; a book that is consistent and points out both ways (to heaven and hell). The skins of those who reverence their Lord cringe therefrom, then their skins and their hearts soften up for God's message. Such is God's guidance; he bestows it upon whomever He wills. As for those sent astray by God, nothing can guide them.

[Quran 45:6] These are God's revelations (Quran) that we recite to you truthfully. In which HADITH other than God and His revelations do they believe?

[Quran 52:34] Let them produce a HADITH like this (Quran) if they are truthful.

[Quran 68:44] Therefore, let Me deal with those who reject this HADITH(Quran); we will lead them on whence they never perceive.

[Quran 77:50] Which HADITH other than this do they uphold?
Lol.
I aswer you by two replies,

1. So, why did your Prophet, Mr. Baha'ullah, used frequently Shia Hadiths in his books like Iqan?

2.The translations are not correct. You condemn the evil doing of Daesh regarding their incorrect interpretation of Quran, while you, yourself repeat their doing?! What is the source of your translation?

You said, '
You can look up the transliteration of the Arabic here: http://www.quran411.com'

But, the site which you mentioned does not have the translations which you brought. Compare your translations with the translations of the site which you referred me to.
You have changed the meaning of the verses completely in favor of yours.
185. Do they see nothing in the government of the heavens and the earth and all that Allah hath created? (Do they not see) that it may well be that their terms is nigh drawing to an end? In what message after this will they then believe?

6. But there are, among men, those who purchase idle tales, without knowledge (or meaning), to mislead (men) from the Path of Allah and throw ridicule (on the Path): for such there will be a Humiliating Penalty.

And others.

Quran has ordered us,

O believers, obey God( Quran ), and obey the Messenger and those in authority among you( 12 infallible Imams ). If you should quarrel on anything, refer it to God ( Quran ) and the Messenger( Hadiths of Messenger ), if you believe in God and the Last Day; that is better, and fairer in the issue. (59)

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
Firstly I never believed in Muhammad or the Quran until I became a Baha'i. The Quran is most beautiful and I love the story and history of the Prophet and how He united the tribes of Arabia and raised up a great nation. How He was illiterate yet produced a Book the like of which mankind has never been able to reproduce.

My quotes are from the Quran as translated by Edip Yuksel
Layth Saleh al-Shaiban Martha Schulte-Nafeh. The quotes were direct from their translation.

As to Baha'u'llah, we believe His authority is given Him direct by God that His Words are the Word of God.

God gave Him authority through Suras like this which are referring to none other than Baha'u'llah. That is what we firmly believe.

39:69

And the earth will shine with the light of her Lord, and the Book will be laid open before them, and the Prophets and the witnesses will be brought, and judgment will be given between them with justice, and they will not be wronged.

We only accept interpretations of the Quran that we believe to be from a Divine Source. People of course are free to come to their own conclusions and we respect that. But only the Word of God is infallible.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Yes...it is very sad so many people take these verses to be literal and apply them to our 21st century...what is the solution? Nothing seems to work :(

But I appreciate the time you took to explain it
Personally, I don't think it is at all possible for healthy religion to rely on scriptures to any significant extent.

The Qur'an is a good piece of evidence of why so, but hardly unusual in that regard.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Personally, I don't think it is at all possible for healthy religion to rely on scriptures to any significant extent.

The Qur'an is a good piece of evidence of why so, but hardly unusual in that regard.
Exactly. People need to follow rational thought, their heart, compassion, and the Golden rule rather than let an outdated primitive text make their decision for them.

mojtaba

Firstly I never believed in Muhammad or the Quran until I became a Baha'i. The Quran is most beautiful and I love the story and history of the Prophet and how He united the tribes of Arabia and raised up a great nation. How He was illiterate yet produced a Book the like of which mankind has never been able to reproduce.

My quotes are from the Quran as translated by Edip Yuksel
Layth Saleh al-Shaiban Martha Schulte-Nafeh. The quotes were direct from their translation.

As to Baha'u'llah, we believe His authority is given Him direct by God that His Words are the Word of God.

God gave Him authority through Suras like this which are referring to none other than Baha'u'llah. That is what we firmly believe.

And the earth will shine with the light of her Lord, and the Book will be laid open before them, and the Prophets and the witnesses will be brought, and judgment will be given between them with justice, and they will not be wronged.

We only accept interpretations of the Quran that we believe to be from a Divine Source. People of course are free to come to their own conclusions and we respect that. But only the Word of God is infallible.
This is not my answer.

Hadiths of Prophet Muhammad and his 12 Successors are Divine Sources.

I do not see the name of Baha'ullah in that verse.

Good luck!

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
This is not my answer.

Hadiths of Prophet Muhammad and his 12 Successors are Divine Sources.

I do not see the name of Baha'ullah in that verse.

Good luck!

There are many references in the Quran to Baha'u'llah but they they symbolical however, abundantly clear to the pure hearted.

The pure in heart always eventually accept the truth.

mojtaba

There are many references in the Quran to Baha'u'llah but they they symbolical however, abundantly clear to the pure hearted.

The pure in heart always eventually accept the truth.

Symbolical? So, your saying remember to me th following verse of Quran,

[3:7 Qara'i translation]
It is He who has sent down to you the Book [ O Muhammad ]. Parts of it are definitive verses, which are the mother of the Book, while others are metaphorical. As for those in whose hearts is deviance, they pursue what is metaphorical in it, courting temptation, and seeking its interpretation. But no one knows its interpretation except Allah and those firmly grounded in knowledge; they say, ‘We believe in it; all of it is from our Lord.’ And none takes admonition except those who possess intellect.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
Symbolical? So, your saying remember to me th following verse of Quran,

[3:7 Qara'i translation]
It is He who has sent down to you the Book [ O Muhammad ]. Parts of it are definitive verses, which are the mother of the Book, while others are metaphorical. As for those in whose hearts is deviance, they pursue what is metaphorical in it, courting temptation, and seeking its interpretation. But no one knows its interpretation except Allah and those firmly grounded in knowledge; they say, ‘We believe in it; all of it is from our Lord.’ And none takes admonition except those who possess intellect.

Exactly. Only God is able to interpret those Words and those well grounded in knowledge who are of course next behind God, His Manifestations not scholars or human beings.

So we need the Lord to come and open the books again which is the purpose and function of sura 39:69. The books will be opened so we can read clearly no more human conflicting interpretations. Same as Daniel in the Bible.

Baha'u'llah claims to be that Manifestation of God Who opens the Book.

And it is up to each of us to accept or reject it. I examined His claim and find the light of God that shines in Baha'u'llah to be the same exact light that shone in Christ and Muhammad.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
Another prophecy about the 'Lord Coming'

and thy LORD shall come, and the angels rank by rank; and hell, on that day, shall be brought nigh: on that day shall man call to remembrance his evil deeds; (89:22)

mojtaba

Exactly. Only God is able to interpret those Words and those well grounded in knowledge who are of course next behind God, His Manifestations not scholars or human beings.
According to the authentic Hadiths, 'those well grounded in knowledge' are Prophet Muhammad and his 12 Successors of Ahlul Bayt( peace be upon all of them ). I do not see Baha'ullah in the Hadiths of infallibles, who are indeed the Ar-Raseekhoona fil Ilm( those well grounded in knowledge ).

So we need the Lord to come and open the books again which is the purpose and function of sura 39:69. The books will be opened so we can read clearly no more human conflicting interpretations. Same as Daniel in the Bible.

Baha'u'llah claims to be that Manifestation of God Who opens the Book.
And it is up to each of us to accept or reject it. I examined His claim and find the light of God that shines in Baha'u'llah to be the same exact light that shone in Christ and Muhammad.
Baha'ullah claimed that for himself. What is his proof?

According to the Hadiths, the inner meaning of the verse is for Imam Mahdi( peace be upon him ). Indeed, according to the inner meaning of the verse, 'the light of guidance which is from God' is Imam Mahdi(peace be upon him). I do not see Baha'ullah in Quran or authentic Hadiths.

mojtaba

Another prophecy about the 'Lord Coming'

and thy LORD shall come, and the angels rank by rank; and hell, on that day, shall be brought nigh: on that day shall man call to remembrance his evil deeds; (89:22)
According to Hadiths, coming of the Lord means coming of His edict. This issue also could be proved by Quran, itself.

Ali ibn Fadhdhal narrated,
I asked from Imam Ridha(peace be upon him)[ 8th Shia infallible Imam ] about the verse, 'and thy Lord shall come, and the angels rank by rank'. So, he(peace be upon him) replied, ' Certainly, God Almighty is not described through coming and going, exlacted is He from moving, this verse just means that 'the edict of your Lord shall come, and the angels rank by rank'.

Also Allah(swt) says,

Do they not consider that the angels may come to them, or your Lord’s edict may come?[16:33]

Last edited:

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
According to Hadiths, coming of the Lord means coming of His edict. This issue also could be proved by Quran, itself.

Ali ibn Fadhdhal narrated,
I asked from Imam Ridha(peace be upon him)[ 8th Shia infallible Imam ] about the verse, 'and thy Lord shall come, and the angels rank by rank'. So, he(peace be upon him) replied, ' Certainly God Almighty is not descirbed by coming and going, exlacted He from moving, this verse just means that 'the edict of your Lord shall come, and the angels rank by rank'.

Also Allah(swt) says,

Do they not consider that the angels may come to them, or your Lord’s edict may come?[16:33]

You are free to accept whatever you believe is true.

We firmly believe Baha'u'llah is the Great Announcement of the Quran. That is what we believe.