• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Playing kirtan

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
It seems Indian music sheets are written by mentioning the 'swara' (octave). The first complete line givesw the notes, the second line has the lyrics.
The following has the lyrics - "Ritu basant bana phool rahi, sādata atimana hara phulwāri."
Folk song about Spring.
Tritala = Three beats, Madhya laya = medium loudness Sthayi (permanent)
No more than this. I am not an expert.

Bhat_notation1.jpg

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
If you can find a reasonably skilled music teacher, they could write them up from listening.
Vinayaka, that does not require a skilled teacher. Some skilled students even at the age of 7 or 8 can do it. Just listening one time and giving out all correct notations, as they say 'ex-tempore'. That was in a popular music program that we have, even the masters were flabbergasted. I will try to give you a video of a child doing that. We have abundance of such geniuses.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Vinayaka, this is the boy who could do that, Tanmay Chaturvedi, and that surprised the judges of that competition -> Saregamapa Little Champs 2007-8. He was the 2nd runner-up. Tanmay is now 24 years old. Yes, he has not turned out to be a very successful singer in Mumbai film world which involves many other things.
He is not the only one, due to the kind of music teaching that is available in India, I think many can do that.

When we saw him for the first time, Tanmay Chaturvedi in 2007-08:
Another video: Log in to Facebook

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
That is wonderful, Valjean. I am not well versed in these things but I have a strong interest. I will read the article thoroughly, though much of it will come to me naturally because it is a part of my culture. Thank you for linking the article.
Indians sure, write down their music (I do not know how) but perhaps this article will give me some idea.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Yeah, one should be careful about whom one chooses to follow. Generally, the well made-up long hair silk-wearing gurus are suspect. Bhakti marg is the high way.You can't blame the high way for the restaurants. There are many eating joints on the way. Don't stop at all those which have suspect fare. Such people are their in all religions. I do not face any problem because I respect but do not use the Bhakti marg highway.

ameyAtmA

~ ~
Premium Member
Namaste @WonderingWanderer

Here is a good GauDiya VaishNav Kirtan site - KKSongs by students of A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupad. Krsna Kirtana Songs: The Best Devotional Songbook on the Web
It has
a) many bhajan lyrics

b) taal, raag, Svar notations (music sheet sa re ga ma pa) for popular bhajans
Chapter 13: Song Practice (I)
KKSongs Harmonium Guide
KKSongs Music Center
KKSongs North Indian Music Page

Just that the bhajans are very specific to this tradition, hence many in Bengali
All about Krishna, Guru and Harinam

I have books with raaga svar notations - bhajan cheez, khayal, thumri - Indian Classical
since I learned some classical music ( shastriya sangeet ) as a kid.

Surely there will be websites now as I think the next generation Gandharvas are experimenting
with technology, digital music etc.

Last edited: