• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Platonism.

Jeremy Taylor

Is this the right forum for discussing Platonism? Specifically, by Platonism I mean Late Antique Platonism or Neoplatonism (a term I dislike), Pythagoreanism, and Hermeticism, and the like?

Obviously, Plato was a philosopher, but Platonism in this broad sense is much more than academic philosophy. It is, rather, a mystical and spiritual school of thought.

I noticed Kabbalah and Sufism have sub-forums here, and I would consider them part of Platonism in this broad sense (though they also obviously grounded in Semitic monotheism as well)

I am a Platonist in this sense. Are there any Platonists here?

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
I also enjoy exploring the pull it had/has on Christian thought, as well as, even though there isn't a specific subforum for Christian Mysticism/Contemplative Christianity

Jeremy Taylor

Yes, I'm a Platonist first and foremost, but I feel the need to belong to an authentic, living religious tradition, so am a Christian Platonist. Platonism is very influential on Christian mysticism. There are some profound Christian mystics and mystic philosophers, such as Eriugena and Meister Eckhart, although only hesychasm seems to offer a regular path to the Christian mystic.

Last edited:

Vishvavajra

I say it's legitimate. Latter-day Platonism was always realized in the context of a living religious tradition, and both Sufism and Kabbalah are examples of that. Other examples, such as its original manifestation in Hellenic religion, didn't survive. It's also the basic framework of "Gnostic" Christianity. We call those mystical traditions, so this would seem an appropriate place for it. There are bound to be arbitrary divisions and categories on the site, especially in the DIR sections, given that things like mysticism and esotericism are types of teachings and techniques--methods, not religions themselves.

As for me, I think it's very useful as a way of approaching Christian teachings, which make a whole lot more sense as esoteric teachings than they do as literal assertions. I would say that there are a lot of points of contact with Buddhist philosophy, even if there are some conscious differences on the conceptual level. And "Neo-Platonism" is a whole lot more sophisticated than how most people habitually view reality.

Last edited: