• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Placing new boundaries in my life

Riders

So, this i for mentally ill patients with boundary issues. I have decided as of today I will no longer go to 12 step meetings outside of OA. There are too many issues with men dirty jokes and past sins with men and also with NA and Sex Addicts Anonymous. I also have the same issues with mental illness groups on the same sense that if I don't know them well enough or they are not 12 step oriented there's no need for me to go.

This brings up the 12 step topic if one is in a 12-step meeting should they be going to mental health groups like nami and meetup.com groups for mental health as well as addiction treatment meetings like 12 step groups?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
So, this i for mentally ill patients with boundary issues. I have decided as of today I will no longer go to 12 step meetings outside of OA. There are too many issues with men dirty jokes and past sins with men and also with NA and Sex Addicts Anonymous. I also have the same issues with mental illness groups on the same sense that if I don't know them well enough or they are not 12 step oriented there's no need for me to go.

This brings up the 12 step topic if one is in a 12-step meeting should they be going to mental health groups like nami and meetup.com groups for mental health as well as addiction treatment meetings like 12 step groups?
Given my meeting schedule, I'm hardly one to advise fewer meetings, LOL. I have not heard of nami or meetup, but as long as they are not at odds with the 12-Step program, I can't see any problems.

The thing is, some groups just don't "click" for a person. Just move on till you find the groups that you do like. They are worth looking for.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I tried OA years back. It wasn't a good fit.

My husband often gets irritated at me for giving up on things too soon, but it was making me miserable. When I did quit, he said he was proud I quit that time.

Not to say the program was poor all around; some had absolute success. I wasn't one of them. I hope you find the groups, or combination of groups, that works for you, @Riders .

Riders

I tried OA years back. It wasn't a good fit.

My husband often gets irritated at me for giving up on things too soon, but it was making me miserable. When I did quit, he said he was proud I quit that time.

Not to say the program was poor all around; some had absolute success. I wasn't one of them. I hope you find the groups, or combination of groups, that works for you, @Riders .
Thanks I hope you find something too. The mentality and basic beliefs of OA don't fit everyone's beliefs like the idea of being powerless over your addiction.I had issues with that in the beginning.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Thanks I hope you find something too. The mentality and basic beliefs of OA don't fit everyone's beliefs like the idea of being powerless over your addiction.I had issues with that in the beginning.
It was just too much for me. It brought up a lot of triggers from being abused.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
It's My Birthday!
I honestly found 1v1 therapy much more beneficial than group therapies and 12 steps were always especially bad.

Don't let 12 step meetings or groups become an addiction replacement itself. I've met group addicts. That go multiple times a day every day etc. It's just as unhealthy imo.