• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Placebo Effect

Belch

Hello guys. I am a teenager looking for truth. I had considered myself an atheist for about a year and a half. During that time, I felt empty, sad, and angry. Some of this was due to factors that I could not control, but much of the negativity came from within.

Now, my deconversion from a wishy washy Christianity was swift as I simply did not like the Christian teachings. As a result, I still have some of the left overs from a Christian mindset.

Anyway, I felt exceptionally Monday and decided that I was sick of being miserable and wanted to pursue truth. I thought of finding a higher power to trust. The first thought on my mind was the Episcopal religion. My uncle, a very nice man, is an active member in his church and I have fond memories of a science teacher of mine, a friar, wearing his garb to class as he showed us the "Box of Wonders" whose contents could be ours with a good enough test grade.

The Episcopalian faith didn't turn me off like other denominations. It didn't run away from science or bully people different than them, which really turned me on to the religion.

I began to read different websites covering the beliefs of that denomination. I began to feel something come over me. I don't know what it was, but I felt like a void had been filled. My temper subsided, I felt at peace, I felt loved. I hadn't drank the Jesus juice, but I had heard a lot about the Holy Spirit and spent a lot of time lurking on Christian forums, so I may know the origins of this feeling.

My new feeling seemed to pick up random things that other Christians said. I stopped listening to songs that had swearing in them and I began to feel more and more reluctant to well :rainbow1:. Even though there was nothing biblical about it (the Onan story covers disobedience), but I still picked up subconsciously what others had said about it (being an animal, showing God that he meant nothing) and remembered the New Testament teachings about lust.

But the Holy Spirit also had a dark side to it. Religion was the only thing I could really think about, preserving the high. If I tried to get my mind off of it and do something else, I was worried that I was "denying the spirit". I was afraid of disobeying and not knowing the difference between the spirit and conscience.

Today, I began to research the religion without trying to protect my newfound "high". It turns out that what I felt as the Holy Spirit was not what the Holy Spirit's role in the Bible was at all. Although one could equate it to being shown the light, I feel that it is more of a placebo effect than anything else.

I felt like I loved everyone. I had felt this way to some extent before, looking up the UU Church, but since the UU Church had no structured belief set and no truth to believe in, it felt artificial to some extent.

Its like I felt something to be "true" in my heart. Like I had the answers. I was told that I was supposed to feel something. I remembered the people in my life who shared my beliefs, how fun and happy they always seemed, and I adapted. I even understood one of the "church jokes :cover:" my friar science teacher told on his online sermon (something about Joshua having a tough act to follow up after Moses).

Although I'm sure many Christians would object, I believe this Holy Spirit to be more of a placebo effect than anything else. I can't help but fear talking bad about the Holy Spirit for some reason (I wasn't raised in a strict house hold, but Christian roots and recent exposure to the importance of the Holy Spirit might have something to do with it.)

I lost my placebo an hour ago and had a fall. I felt grumpy again, lost. My jovial-fearful nature was replaced with a bitter one.

I don't know how I feel. I want the placebo back because I feel in a way, dead inside without it, but I don't want to deceive myself, in fact, I can't deceive myself, it won't work. I feel like having the placebo to some extent motivates me and makes me a better person.

Although I can not speak from experience, I think that most religions have evolved this sort of placebo. I might try Islam simply to test the results;).

Also, one last note, I do feel initial feelings of guilt and feelings of depression after I :rainbow1: sometimes. And, this may be due to my environment growing up (my dad would get chided for saying "damn" or "hell") , but I remember having a strict aversion to any sort of foul language in my songs or TV until a year ago. Although I'm inclined to believe that this is part of childhood psychology, I also am anxious to rule out the supernatural.

These are my main questions:

1. Has anyone here ever felt this placebo?
2. What are the benefits and take aways from it?
3. Do you believe it to be divine or a composition of natural factors?
4. How can I create a genuine replication of this feeling minus the guilt and fear of anything breaking the "high"?

LayzeeDragon

Know that god will not damn you and you will not have that guilt feeling. I also use to experience guilt all the time when i was Catholic. But it is non-existent in me now. Find god as a whole, Not from one particular religion. Find the underlining truth in all religion, Keep searching for truth and nothing but the truth. : ) . There might be great fear, but look into it directly.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Religions including Christianity, have used Fear and guilt to maintain their position and control over their congregations.

However the Message of Christianity is Love. Which is a far stronger emotion and ethic, on which to base, why, we should do or believe something.

The Holy Spirit is not something to fear, it enters our lives at conception, it is our guide and comforter. We can not push it away, but we can perhaps ignore it. The Holy spirit does not Judge us, it is with us all, good and bad.

You might treat the Holy Spirit as a placebo, but it is real, it empowers your faith.
Some denominations call on the Holy spirit as if it was at their beck and call. But it is with us all the time... as it is with you now.

elmarna

there is too much not being said.
i can not be sure what or why you have found yourself reflecting upon these thoughts & feelings.
have faith in the good & the positive. You made menton that you prefer them.
they are a part of life with ability to heal & help you manage.
it seems you are sorting out a lot with feelings stong.
do not wrestle them do not contain them just take a good look & manage them so you handle them better.
theres a lot of sorting out. I feel if you really want to know you will figure it out!

idea

Question Everything
1. Has anyone here ever felt this placebo?
2. What are the benefits and take aways from it?
3. Do you believe it to be divine or a composition of natural factors?
4. How can I create a genuine replication of this feeling minus the guilt and fear of anything breaking the "high"?

I too have felt the Holy Spirit - but I do not consider it to be a placebo, or to be any type of self-created delusion. I know it is not self-created because it has correctly warned me about events and circumstances beyond what my 5 senses were able to deduce.

The Spirit has several vital roles:
He bears witness of the Father and the Son (see 1 Cor. 12:3)
He reveals the truth of all things (John 14:26)
He sanctifies those who have repented and become baptized (John 3:5; 3)
The Spirit causes men to walk in God's statutes, Ezek. 36:27.
The Apostles were commissioned to baptize in the name of the Father, Son, and the Holy Ghost, Matt. 28:19.
Holy men spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost, 2 Pet. 1:21

benefits?
*guidance - the Spirit helps me learn both secular and spiritual knowledge because
He reveals the truth of all things (John 14:26) - helped me get my engineering PhD, was my study companion, and is the reason I converted to Christianity.

* comfort -
why do I keep coming back to J14:26? but yes, the Holy Ghost is also called the Comforter because he brings peace and comfort.
John 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

* warning - the spirit can warn you and keep you safe - little things like "look in your shoe" (spider), to big things like "don't pull out into the street yet" (stop you from hitting a little kid on their bike)

a genuine replication of this feeling minus the guilt and fear of anything breaking the "high"? ... sorry dude... I suppose mind-altering drugs would come close, but their high is not the genuine spiritual experience, and is a temporary high.

The power of the Holy Ghost can come upon a person before baptism and witness that the gospel is true. But the right to have the constant companionship of the Holy Ghost is reserved to those who are worthy, those who make and keep baptismal covenants with God.

once you have had a strong taste of the Spirit, there's no going back. It's worth the "lifestyle changes" in order to keep it.

Last edited:

idea

Question Everything
I am suspect of any religious endeavor driven by a desire to acquire a feeling.

I used to think that when people talked about Spiritual experiences they were talking about a feeling.... I have climbed mountains to see breathtaking vistas, immersed myself in stirring music, cried, and laughed. I used to think that is what spiritual experiences were and those kinds of things can indeed be spiritual, but I have sense learned that there is another level - something that transcends self-generated emotional responses - floods of warmth/knowledge/inspiration/enlightenment from a source outside of oneself ... impossible to describe in words, you have to experience it for yourself to understand what it really is.

muslim-

I think you're sincerity and critical thinking will eventually lead you to the truth, and that you're on the right path, searching for it at such a young age. Some simply say "I believe in this or that" without realizing how deep such a statement really is.

Sometimes, some people rule out "the supernatural" as an emotional reaction to a certain faith.( Emotions work both ways ) , rejecting all religions as a whole, as a reaction to a certain experience, thinking that its logical. However, that is not a pragmatic approach.

I also agree with you on the placebo effect, not towards the "holy spirit", but in general, as this is why almost everyone is comfortable with his faith. When two or five believe in opposite ideas that give them comfort, they can't all be correct.

I think true comfort is backed by logic. This makes the comfort on a solid basis and not just a matter of comfortable convenience. This convenience sometimes works in the favor of some "men" that are religious authorities. So it can get complicated.

How to find the truth? Of course asking God would help, but practically, I think that looking at the big picture of things always helps, as opposed to abstract ideas/concepts, that although important sometimes, a sound understanding can't be based upon them alone without a more holistic view.