• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Place of mystical experience in Christianity

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
Besides the "salvation experience", does Christianity place any importance on mystical experience? If so, what? How does this play into the process of sanctification and spirituality/spiritual growth, if at all?

Orbit

I'm a planet
Besides the "salvation experience", does Christianity place any importance on mystical experience? If so, what? How does this play into the process of sanctification and spirituality/spiritual growth, if at all?

Christian mystics historically usually rode a fine line between being tolerated and being branded heretics. One example is Meister Eckhart (see Wikipedia for info). Others here are better qualified than I to speak to how this plays out today, especially the Catholics among us.

allfoak

Alchemist
History of Christian mysticism
Early church

Although the essence of mysticism is the sense of contact with the transcendent, mysticism in the history of Christianity should not be understood merely in terms of special ecstatic experiences but as part of a religious process lived out within the Christian community. From this perspective mysticism played a vital part in the early church. Early Christianity was a religion of the spirit that expressed itself in the heightening and enlargement of human consciousness. It is clear from the Synoptic Gospels (e.g., Matthew 11:25–27) that Jesus was thought to have enjoyed a sense of special contact with God. In the primitive church an active part was played by prophets, who were believed to be recipients of a revelation coming directly from the Holy Spirit.

Christianity -- Encyclopedia Britannica

roger1440

I do stuff
To sum up what Saint John of the Cross wrote in the link I had provided earlier a mystical experience is viewed as a gift to the mystic and the mystic should not dwell upon it. Spiritual pride is always at risk. Jewish mystics believe one should not study the cabala until they are at least 40 years old, probably for the same reason.

Vouthon

Dominus Deus tuus ignis consumens est
Staff member
Premium Member
Dear Dyana,

Thank you for the thread and for the excellent question.

Catholicism and Eastern Orthodoxy both place great emphasis upon the mystical experience. Orthodox theology and liturgy is inherently mystical. Their understanding of salvation is synonymous with the idea of theosis. St. Athanasius described it best:

"For the Son of God became man so that we might become God." 80

- St. Athanasius , De inc.54, 3: PG 25, 192B

If one comes from a Protestant tradition other than Anglicanism or Lutheranism (where mysticism is present if one looks for it), this concept of salvation might appear somewhat alien, however it is the traditional patristic understanding.

The idea is fundamental to the Catholic and Orthodox traditions. In Catholicism our liturgy also evokes themes of deification, for example during the Communion or Eucharistic part of the Mass when the priest says over the cup: "By the mystery of this water and wine may we come to share in the divinity of Christ who humbled himself to share in our humanity." Exact same idea. It was taught equally in the West as it was in the East. The doctrine is essential to the teaching of the Church Fathers, who held that "God became man, so that man might become God" [St. Augustine, Sermo 13 de Tempore].

The entire purpose of the divine economy whereby the Son of God became incarnate was for the deification of man.

Mysticism is for us a foretaste, in this life, of that glorious existence of the Blessed in heaven, whereby we participate in the divine nature and through the gift of infused contemplation become God by grace as He is by Nature.

Heaven is not a "place" for Catholics but rather consists of participation in the Divine Life of the Holy Trinity through direct seeing of the Beatific Vision (the Essence of God).

According to the Catechism of the Catholic Church:

260 The ultimate end of the whole divine economy is the entry of God's creatures into the perfect unity of the Blessed Trinity.100 But even now we are called to be a dwelling for the Most Holy Trinity: "If a man loves me", says the Lord, "he will keep my word, and my Father will love him, and we will come to him, and make our home with him":101

O my God, Trinity whom I adore, help me forget myself entirely so to establish myself in you, unmovable and peaceful as if my soul were already in eternity. May nothing be able to trouble my peace or make me leave you, O my unchanging God, but may each minute bring me more deeply into your mystery! Grant my soul peace. Make it your heaven, your beloved dwelling and the place of your rest. May I never abandon you there, but may I be there, whole and entire, completely vigilant in my faith, entirely adoring, and wholly given over to your creative action.102

Heaven can be tasted in this life through contemplation.

Consider Blessed Henry Suso's description:

"...Essential reward, however, consists in the contemplative union of the soul with the naked Godhead, because it never rests until it is led beyond all its powers and capacities and is directed into the natural substance of the Persons and into the simple nakedness of Being. Face to face with this it then finds fulfilment and eternal happiness. The more the soul freely goes out of itself in detachment, the freer is its ascent; and the freer its ascent, the farther it enters into the wild wasteland and the deep abyss of the pathless Godhead into which it plummets, where it is swept along, and to which it is so united that it cannot want otherwise than what God wants. And this is the same Being God is: They become blessed by grace as He is blessed by nature..."

- Blessed Henry Suso (1300 – 1366), The Little Book of Eternal Wisdom

If I could suggest two books for you to read -

1) For the "Theory" of Christian Myticism, this book from 1910 by the Anglo-Catholic mystic Evelyn Underhill is a classic:

Mysticism Index

2) For the "Practice" of Christian Mysticism, this book by Fr. Martin Laird (an Augustinian priest) is a modern classic:

Best :)

Last edited:

Vouthon

Dominus Deus tuus ignis consumens est
Staff member
Premium Member
Christian mystics historically usually rode a fine line between being tolerated and being branded heretics. One example is Meister Eckhart (see Wikipedia for info). Others here are better qualified than I to speak to how this plays out today, especially the Catholics among us.

Today, certainly, Meister Eckhart is widely respected in the Catholic Church as having been one of our greatest masters of the spiritual life. Saint Pope John Paul II officially praised Eckhart in 1987:

28 September 1987: Pope John Paul II:

‘I think of the marvellous history of Rheno-Flemish mysticism of the thirteenth and especially of the fourteenth centuries… Did not Eckhart teach his disciples: “All that God asks you most pressingly is to go out of yourself … and let God be God in you” [cf Walshe Sermon 13b]? One could think that in separating himself from creatures the mystic leaves his brother humanity behind. The same Eckhart affirms that on the contrary the mystic is marvellously present to them on the only level where he can truly reach them, that is, in God.’

The bull In agro dominico condemned 28 articles attributed to Eckhart on the basis of his writings. He himself was never actually branded a heretic in his lifetime and is not considered to be one. There were a lot of political wrangles underlying this sorry debacle, which has become something in the popular imagination of the "Galileo Affair" of Catholic Mysticism.

Blessed Henry Suso was one of closest disciples of Eckhart and his writings were officially approved by the church, Suso was beatified and yet in his writings he claimed that Eckhart was the "Master", as did his other prominent follower Johanes Tauler. Eckhart's writings influenced many orthodox mystics after this such as Cardinal Cusa, and through his recognised followers the entire church.

On the Catholic Answers apologetic website, Eckhart is again fully endorsed. See this answer from a CAF apologist to the question, "Was Eckhart a heretic?":

Where did Meister Eckhart cross the line? - Catholic Answers Forums

Apologist: Meister Eckhart was a Dominican like me and is no heretic.

And elsewhere in the apologetics section he is actively encouraged for evangelization purposes in the case of a Taoist expressing interest in Christianity:

http://www.catholic.com/quickquestio...izing-a-taoist

Perhaps you could whet his appetite with the writings of some of our Catholic mystics. I would recommend the work of Meister Eckhart whose work develops themes that are congruent with Taoism but also thoroughly Christian.

...So quite simply, "No", Eckhart is not viewed as a heretic.

Last edited:

Nooj

none

tolerated? no. celebrated.

pearl

Since Scripture was not dictated in human words, it is through the mystical experience of others, Abraham, Moses, the Prophets, Jesus, and communicated to us that we come to 'know' God.