• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Picketting of Religious Structures

silvermoon383

Every 6 months, the LDS Church has what we call General Conference. We gather together to listen to the prophet, apostles, and other leaders. Most of us watch on TV over a satelite transmission (some at home, some at churches around the world), but the lucky few get to go to Salt Lake City and meet in the Conference Center. Unfortunatly for them, while trying to enter the building (and any trying to listen over the PA system at Temple Square across the street) they get confronted by people waving signs. Some of these signs simply state a scripture or two, others are outright attacks. And in both cases, the holders are often shouting things that are considered offensive.

And I know that this is not unique to us LDS. It's come to my knowledge that the same thing happens at the Jehovah's Witnesses General Assemblies (the yearly meeting they have all over the world, sorry if I got the name wrong).

I'm curious to know how this can be considered an appropriate way of sharing a Gospel message, ministering to people, or even sharing your beliefs with someone.

Here are a few examples of the signs that people will wave-

http://www.fairlds.org/apol/antis/2002gc.html
http://www.fairlds.org/apol/antis/200404gc.html
http://www.fairlds.org/apol/antis/200304gc.html
http://www.fairlds.org/apol/antis/200310gc.html

And these are two people's account of what they encountered outside of the Center-
http://www.fairlds.org/apol/antis/200304.html
http://www.fairlds.org/apol/antis/200302.html

Bishka

Veteran Member
I heard about those experiences. It's so ridiculous how some people act. *Sigh* That's life I guess. I'm pretty much used to is, but it angers me a bit to here of it happening.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Those type of episodes are really unfortunate and if I were in that town (I'm a Baptist) I would have no problem going up to them and telling them about the harm they are doing. They must have no idea that in actuality they are harming THEIR OWN church with demonstrations like that. I think most people driving by in cars feel sorry for the Mormons and think the demonstrators are jerks. That's what I would think. I'm sorry this type of thing happens to you LDS. It's just plain wrong.

nutshell

The same kind of thing happened during the Oregon Portland Temple open house and dedication. Some people would take the tour and scratch the beautiful paintings inside the temple with their keys. Utterly, disgusting.

Ðanisty

Ignorance...it's all a bunch of ignorance on their part. I've been a member here for just a couple of months and I know from talking to other members here that the signs and pickets these people are waving around don't even make any sense. Before I had a chance to read about LDS here and talk to a few members in general conversation, I have to say I thought it was a bit bizarre, but it hasn't taken any time at all for me to learn that it isn't the dangerous cult that some people claim it is. Just remember that people who say bad things about you are people who are ignorant. If you inform them otherwise and they refuse to accept it, they are just choosing to be ignorant and there's nothing you can do about it. Please also remember that some of us (and by that, I do mean myself) will choose to hear you out and trust you. Your efforts to defend your religion aren't in vain. You've at least made a difference with me.

Bishka

Veteran Member
nutshell said:
The same kind of thing happened during the Oregon Portland Temple open house and dedication. Some people would take the tour and scratch the beautiful paintings inside the temple with their keys. Utterly, disgusting.

That's awful. Why would someone do that? Do they have a problem with their mental facilities? If not, they should know better. We don't go into their chapels and carve up their pictures do we? No. :banghead3

alexander garcia

Hi, other than being a (pain) are they really harming you? Maybe it is a test in pations? It is a hassle but if they feel they are called to do this why not try and reason out of the scriptures and see what happens and if as in most different religion and sects or denominations among most , some with different books. When this happen let them be if you can not agree on books why not all pray to their mighty one and let them ( if there be a THEM ?) do their own hating and killing! Because if (THEY) be Mighty ones, a Mighty one would not need mans help in anything!

Smoke

Done here.
silvermoon383 said:
And I know that this is not unique to us LDS. It's come to my knowledge that the same thing happens at the Jehovah's Witnesses General Assemblies (the yearly meeting they have all over the world, sorry if I got the name wrong).
You always get religious fanatics picketing gay pride marches, too. We used to make a point of singing "Jesus Loves Me" while we were passing them. :)

Picketing, as a form of non-violent resistance, is perfectly acceptable behavior, as far as I'm concerned. I think religious organizations, and in particular politically active religious organizations, are legitimate targets of picketing, too. It's the message of the picketers that we have to evaluate.

The hateful behavior of some of the fanatics picketing the LDS Church is unfortunately not at all unusual for religious people. We -- gay men and lesbians -- get it all the time, often from Mormons.

Just be grateful that all they're doing is picketing and behaving like offensive jerks, and not campaigning for new laws and constitutional amendments to prevent the possibility of your having equal rights before the law. In other words, at least they're not treating the LDS Church as the LDS Church treats us.

Smoke

Done here.
nutshell said:
Inexcusable. I hope they were arrested.

nutshell

alexander garcia said:
Hi, other than being a (pain) are they really harming you? Maybe it is a test in pations? It is a hassle but if they feel they are called to do this why not try and reason out of the scriptures and see what happens and if as in most different religion and sects or denominations among most , some with different books. When this happen let them be if you can not agree on books why not all pray to their mighty one and let them ( if there be a THEM ?) do their own hating and killing! Because if (THEY) be Mighty ones, a Mighty one would not need mans help in anything!

That's all well and good in theory, but the truth of the matter is it's harassment and free speech might protect them on the sidewalk, but if they were just about anywhere else it'd be illegal.

Further, I mentioned they damage are paintings so, yeah, I guess you could say they harm us at least a little financially.

Squirt

Ðanisty said:
Ignorance...it's all a bunch of ignorance on their part. I've been a member here for just a couple of months and I know from talking to other members here that the signs and pickets these people are waving around don't even make any sense. Before I had a chance to read about LDS here and talk to a few members in general conversation, I have to say I thought it was a bit bizarre, but it hasn't taken any time at all for me to learn that it isn't the dangerous cult that some people claim it is. Just remember that people who say bad things about you are people who are ignorant. If you inform them otherwise and they refuse to accept it, they are just choosing to be ignorant and there's nothing you can do about it. Please also remember that some of us (and by that, I do mean myself) will choose to hear you out and trust you. Your efforts to defend your religion aren't in vain. You've at least made a difference with me.
What an awesome post! Thank you so much.

drekmed

i kinda liked the picture with the guy with the arrows with words on them. gives me an idea on how to protest the protesters.
the sign i would make will have three arrows, in each arrow will be one word. the words will be morons, mormons, athiest. point the mormon arrow at the temple, the athiest down at me, and the moron at the protesters. then underneath the arrows a message saying, "which does god love the least?" then an arrow at the bottom pointing at the protesters and one of those verses from matthew about the spinter and plank at the very bottom.
use their religious beliefs against them :p

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
silvermoon383 said:
...I'm curious to know how this can be considered an appropriate way of sharing a Gospel message, ministering to people, or even sharing your beliefs with someone...
Well, the only beliefs those protesters shared with me is that they have very little understanding about Mormons and that they harbor a lot of hate towards people who don't believe exactly as they do.

Perhaps they should spend more time reading the New Testament, especially the parts where Jesus taught us to love one another, instead of making those ridiculous signs and taking up space on the sidewalk.:jiggy:

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
People's beliefs can not only bring out the best in people, but also the worst. It's sad that it happens, but it is a right people have. Shine above it. Don't stoop to their level. In the long run, it doesn't matter what other's think of you, but what God thinks of you. ;)

Smoke

Done here.
silvermoon383 said:
Considering everything I've seen the picketters do, I never thought I'd see anything lower.

Once again I was wrong. Check out this link.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-423387449959972235&q=temple
No offense, but I actually thought it was pretty funny. It was kind of like watching "*******." Did you check out his website? What a moron. It's funny how the Illuminati control everything in the world, and yet allow their darkest secrets to fall into the hands of halfwits.

standing_alone

I understand what you mean with the picketers. They can really be hurtful. A few days ago I was driving through Milwaukee and a guy was standing on an overpass holding a sign that said "Homosexuality is a sin." It really hurt me. But I understand that this guy had a right to hold up that sign - freedom of speech. So as much as it hurts me - I'd rather have the right to freedom of speech left unabridged. But I agree that the picketers are very hurtful and the pictures you linked to show how truly ignorant they are. Sorry you have to put up with such ignorance.

Bishka

Veteran Member
***? Is he and idiot? He makes himself look stupid. Anyways, yeah, makes me mad, but I'll get over as soon as he gets himself run over. Just kidding, just kidding.