• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

philosophy in u.u.

does anyone here think that philosophy is inherantly unitarian universalist as u.u. is all about humanism? I find that comparing religious systems, like hInduism and bUddhism and cHristianity, is an endeavor that is greatly boosted by putting along side these, the complex and interesting metaphysical systems of Plato, of Hegel, of Parmenides, of Santayana, etc.,

the more systems you can compare, the more ideas you get is the thing i have learned

Trey of Diamonds

does anyone here think that philosophy is inherantly unitarian universalist as u.u. is all about humanism? I find that comparing religious systems, like hInduism and bUddhism and cHristianity, is an endeavor that is greatly boosted by putting along side these, the complex and interesting metaphysical systems of Plato, of Hegel, of Parmenides, of Santayana, etc.,

the more systems you can compare, the more ideas you get is the thing i have learned

What makes you think that UU is all about Humanism. I'm not a Humanist.

applewuud

...the more systems you can compare, the more ideas you get is the thing i have learned

That's the point, to keep an open mind and consider ideas whether they're labeled "religious", "philosophical", or "psychological". UUs could benefit from a better knowledge of philosophy; but I sense that many in the pews feel we're too intellectual as it is and that philosophy isn't practical or real-world enough.

Too bad, because philosophical ideas probably have more impact on individual well-being than religious ones do. :liturgy:

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
The supposed line between philosophy and religion has often confounded me. The distinction seems very superficial if not nonexistent to me.

I'd agree that UU is humanistic in a loose sense if you look at the principles, but neither do all UU's self-identify as humanists.