• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Philosophical religion from the Middle East?

I'm trying to figure out this religion, and I can not remember its name...

It took place around the Medieval times of the Middle-East where a king made a religion where all of the religions had truth, but no religion had the absolute truth. Knowledge was one of the forms of attaining enlightenment and truth...

The religion also died when the king died.

I can't remember what it was called... any help? :D

FOUND IT!!

Din-i-Ilahi! :D

Din-i-Ilahi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Dīn-i Ilāhī (Persian: دین الهی "Divine Faith")[1][2] was a syncretic religious doctrine propounded by the Mughal emperor Jalālu d-Dīn Muḥammad Akbar ("Akbar the Great"), who ruled the Indian subcontinent from 1556 to 1605, intending to merge the best elements of the religions of his empire, and thereby reconcile the differences that divided his subjects.[2] The elements were primarily drawn from Islam and Hinduism, but some others were also taken from Christianity, Jainism and Zoroastrianism.

Akbar promoted tolerance of other faiths. In fact, not only did he tolerate them, he encouraged debate on philosophical and religious issues. This led to the creation of the Ibādat Khāna ("House of Worship") at Fatehpur Sikri.

From the discussions he led there in 1575, Akbar concluded that no single religion could claim the monopoly of truth. This inspired him to create the Dīn-i Ilāhī in 1581. Various pious Muslims, among them the Qadi of Bengal and the seminal Sufi personality Shaykh Ahmad Sirhindi, responded by declaring this to be blasphemy to Islam.

Dīn-i Ilāhī appears to have survived Akbar according to the Dabestān-e Mazāheb of Mubad Shah (Mohsin Fani). However, the movement never numbered more than 19 adherents.[3]

Din-i-Ilahi was more of an ethical system. It prohibits lust, sensuality, slander and pride, considering them sins. Piety, prudence, abstinence and kindness are the core virtues. The soul is encouraged to purify itself through yearning of God.[2] Celibacy is respected and the slaughter of animals is forbidden. There are neither sacred scriptures nor a priestly hierarchy in this religion.[4]

Thanks for the help though, GabrielwithoutWings... I duely appreciated it! ^^;

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. Never heard of this one. I'll have to read up on this.

I think the Hall still exists... Here's some more brief information about Akbar himself when he thought of establishing this religion: Akbar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In any case, it definitely, apparently changed the way Hinduism and Islam saw each other, especially when you have alot of exchanges already between Islamic and Hindu saints and mystics, and similarities with styles of Hindu Bhakti movements and Islamic Sufism.

And also Akbar changed Prayag to Allahabad in the name of Din-i-Ilahi, lol.

But alas, it is lost in the mists of time and obscurity. :candle: