• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Petition: Cats, Dogs, Korea

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
The HSUS has an active campaign against seal hunting. I don't know how much good it will do to sign the petition against Korea, but I'm in. The HSUS probably has more punch with northern states', er I mean Canadian law :p than "international" law.

Straw Dog

Please, if you feel able, sign this petition regarding the cruelty inflicted on cats and dogs in Korea. Thank you.

STOP KILLING DOGS AND CATS IN SOUTH KOREA Petition

Thanks for sharing this. It's a good cause that deserves to have many effects.

As an aside, part of this general problem is cultural. For example, eating pork in the U.S. is considered normal. When we actually take all scientific, rational, and ethical considerations into account, there is something ******-up about eating pigs. I mean, they're fairly intelligent and capable of feeling suffering, and so this dog and cat thing is just an aspect of a larger issue in the development of human consciousness.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Cool, now let's watch India start a petition to "Stop killing cows and pigs in America". I say let culture be culture, let Korea eat dogs and cats, it's not like their eating pets that people care about.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Cool, now let's watch India start a petition to "Stop killing cows and pigs in America". I say let culture be culture, let Korea eat dogs and cats, it's not like their eating pets that people care about.

I totally agree. But a former student I had sure could make the 6th grade girls squirm with his snake catching, snake eating tales from Thailand. It's cultural, people. Get over it.

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
I have no problem with them eating cats and dogs. Perhaps India can petition Americ to stop eating cows.
Edit seem sum beat me too it.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
What about the culture of starving and mistreating the cats and dogs so that they taste better?

I think it's all atrocious. Force feeding of animals, using steroids to enhance the muscle development, keeping them in tight cages, it's all inhumane. Some would argue that keeping a large dog in the city, and not giving it sufficient walks is too.

But so is child labor, child slavery into prostitution, mutilation, starvation in wars, chemical warfare, germ warfare. The planet is abundant in inhumane activity. Why certain individual actions seem to be singled out is open for debate. Personally, I think a lot of it is cultural. One cultural's norm is another culture's atrocity.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
"Most horrifically, there is a widely held belief that in order to produce tender meat, dogs should have high adrenaline levels right before they die. To achieve this, dogs are sadistically made to experience extreme fear and suffering in the lead up to their deaths. Dogs are commonly killed via bludgeoning, hanging or electrocution. Some dogs are hung and then beaten while they are still alive. Others are hung and then a blow torch is used on them while they are still alive to remove their hair. At the open-air markets, dogs are electrocuted and then their necks are broken - all in plain sight of nearby pedestrians."

- https://awionline.org/awi-quarterly/2012-winter/friend-or-food-south-koreas-cruel-dog-meat-trade

This is a culture I will not respect.

illykitty

RF's pet cat
It's not so much about cultural eating of those particular animals, personally, that I have an issue with. It's the way they are treated. Look it up people before saying all is fine.

They are beat, often cooked ALIVE... In really poor conditions. I wonder how anyone with a conscience can do it.

Also, as far as petitions websites go, I recommend using Care2, so many people use it. There's already some petitions going on it like this one: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/427/339/053/tell-s-korea-to-stop-boiling-cats-and-dogs-alive/

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
It's not so much about cultural eating of those particular animals, personally, that I have an issue with. It's the way they are treated. Look it up people before saying all is fine.

Yeah, I'm not saying everyone should be a breatharian....it's the treatment and attitudes that are abhorrent (to me...):(

illykitty

RF's pet cat
Yeah, I'm not saying everyone should be a breatharian....it's the treatment and attitudes that are abhorrent (to me...):(

My diet is vegetarian most of the time, but that's a personal decision. If someone's going to eat meat at least don't make the poor animals suffer. :sad4: