• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Personal Story

Comet

Harvey Wallbanger
I guess I am in the mood for sharing tonight as I've been doing so with others... Plus, I just read a thread that said the Buddhism Forum was lifeless. Never is it so....

When I was young I grew up in New Mexico. Two houses down (on the corner) was a family. The girl, Linda, was a year younger than my sister and two years my senior. We all grew up together. Her mother was a Buddhist from Thailand and her father an American military man.

He was very strict, she was a GREAT COOK and spoke little English. The family was Buddhist as a whole, but I'm not sure which type.... Point is, every year the Buddhist monks from Thailand would come and some would stay with them. I remembered how fascinated I was by them.

Usually it was only 3 or 4 that would stay with them. Shaved heads, robes of brown and sometimes orange on them. I never understood a word they said or chanted, but I was completely enthrawled by them.

When Linda's grandfather died, the monks came for a special visit. I had researched the Buddhist thoughts on the dead before and knew what would take place. I didn't understand a word that was spoken, but I was glad for the little bit of the ceremony I was allowed to stay for. (I saw part of the rest outside the window)

Sorry to say Linda died in the same room as her grandfather a couple of years ago. I do hope the monks came back for the ceremony for her. I'm sure they did... Sorry I couldn't attend.

I guess as a non-Buddhist I have been extremely blessed for being able to have opportunities as such. I suppose when I take the religion quizzes my most compatable are:

1. Hinduism
2. Mahayanna Buddhism
3. Theravada Buddhism

Everytime....

Has anybody else been blessed enough to have seen or spent time with Buddhist monks from afar?

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
I hvae met or interacted with a number of Japanese Buddhist ministers or priests, but I don't have much experience with Therevadan or Tibetan monks.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Comet said:
I guess as a non-Buddhist I have been extremely blessed for being able to have opportunities as such. I suppose when I take the religion quizzes my most compatable are:

1. Hinduism
2. Mahayanna Buddhism
3. Theravada Buddhism

Everytime....
It's that God thing, isn't it, the reason why Hinduism scores higher than Buddhism with you? ;)

Comet said:
Has anybody else been blessed enough to have seen or spent time with Buddhist monks from afar?
I grew up with Chinese buddhist monks and nuns, so they're from "afar" but not really. And now in the temple that I go to, I meet Sri Lankan monks regularly. But to be honest, other than bowing politely towards them with palms together, and occasionally bring gifts of tea, etc, I don't really interact with them.

Comet

Harvey Wallbanger
lilithu said:
It's that God thing, isn't it, the reason why Hinduism scores higher than Buddhism with you? ;)

Actually, I think it has to due with my belief in the non-being. As the Rig Veda speaks of the being/nonbeing.... I think that puts me more to the Hindu belief system by the computer tests...??? I usually get 99% Hindu, 98% M-Buddhism, and about 95-96% T- Buddhism.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Comet said:
Actually, I think it has to due with my belief in the non-being. As the Rig Veda speaks of the being/nonbeing.... I think that puts me more to the Hindu belief system by the computer tests...??? I usually get 99% Hindu, 98% M-Buddhism, and about 95-96% T- Buddhism.
I don't understand. Are you talking about no-self? Or non-dualism? Buddhism has both of those concepts. Or are you talking about something else? What is non-being?

Random

lilithu said:
I don't understand. Are you talking about no-self? Or non-dualism? Buddhism has both of those concepts. Or are you talking about something else? What is non-being?

I think he's confused some aspects of advaita with certain interpretations of Buddhism here, Lilithu. He may be referring to the Heart Sutra paradox, "Form is emptiness and Emptiness is form".

Being changes into Non-being And Non-being into Being, Turning and turning again; But in the ultimate Reality Being and Non-being are both Void, And the Void contains everything and is perfect.

So Tae San, founder of South Korean Won-Buddhism. Maybe Comet can clear this up? I'd be interested.

Comet

Harvey Wallbanger
So Tae San, founder of South Korean Won-Buddhism. Maybe Comet can clear this up? I'd be interested.

I'd be most interested to hear about this indeed!

Are you talking about no-self? Or non-dualism? Buddhism has both of those concepts. Or are you talking about something else? What is non-being?

I don't make the tests.... I just take them and have said what they tell me and why I think they have said so.

The paradox that was reffered to is close to what it is I believe indeed.... what is that from again? Please do tell, I'd love to read it. The VOID is very central to my beliefs indeed.

Ozzie

Comet said:
I guess I am in the mood for sharing tonight as I've been doing so with others... Plus, I just read a thread that said the Buddhism Forum was lifeless. Never is it so....

When I was young I grew up in New Mexico. Two houses down (on the corner) was a family. The girl, Linda, was a year younger than my sister and two years my senior. We all grew up together. Her mother was a Buddhist from Thailand and her father an American military man.

He was very strict, she was a GREAT COOK and spoke little English. The family was Buddhist as a whole, but I'm not sure which type.... Point is, every year the Buddhist monks from Thailand would come and some would stay with them. I remembered how fascinated I was by them.

Usually it was only 3 or 4 that would stay with them. Shaved heads, robes of brown and sometimes orange on them. I never understood a word they said or chanted, but I was completely enthrawled by them.

When Linda's grandfather died, the monks came for a special visit. I had researched the Buddhist thoughts on the dead before and knew what would take place. I didn't understand a word that was spoken, but I was glad for the little bit of the ceremony I was allowed to stay for. (I saw part of the rest outside the window)

Sorry to say Linda died in the same room as her grandfather a couple of years ago. I do hope the monks came back for the ceremony for her. I'm sure they did... Sorry I couldn't attend.

1. Hinduism
2. Mahayanna Buddhism
3. Theravada Buddhism

Everytime....

I was fortunate to meet some monks living in refugee camps in Southern India at Bylakuppe (Karnataka). Also have had contact in Thailand. I might be tempted to join them in monastic living for a while if I didn't have a family to look after. They were moral people for the most part.