• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Personal/Private Journals

Private journals: is this something you would be interested in?

• Yes

Votes: 10 55.6%
  • No

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • I'm not sure I understand what you're proposing

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
I'm saying if somebody creates a private journal and you aren't invited to post there, courtesy would dictate that you probably shouldn't be reading it either, although there's no way to stop someone from doing that.

What I'm saying is; if you're reading something that you have no business reading, and you see something there that you don't like, that's kind of on you.

So, why isn't this person posting in a private message? The 5 person limit?

All my concerns go away if this is happening in private.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
I think it's a little unfair of you to suggest that the staff be given the opportunity to have greater control over the lives of their users.

I think it's more than a little paranoid of you to be interpreting all this in that light.

Like I said: all this thread is about is about giving people a choice, and trying to determine whether or not people want that choice.

You obviously don't, which is fine.

But I really don't think the other members need you to warn them about the potential risks of sharing personal information on the internet.

We're all grown ups here (sort of).
Anyone who voluntarily takes a position of power over others has earned their mistrust, in my opinion. It's not that they're a werewolf or an evil wizard. It's that they're a moderator with special privileges on a site that I use.

You know, there are a lot of unmoderated forums out there. If you distrust/dislike moderation that much why aren't you hanging out in one of those? Rhetorical question.

You want and need the protection, but at the same time you like to be able to complain about the protectors.

It's a pretty common thing.
It's unrealistic for you to think that everyone is going to support expanding the power of those in positions of authority over them.

Just a hunch but I'm going to guess you're probably the only person in here who's going to interpret this thing that way.

Although there may be one or two more who chime in along those lines now that you've put the bug in their ear.

I don't think that's me being unfair.

Of course you don't. Probably because you haven't really thought about it.
I think it's that abusive hierarchies have already been culturally normalized, so most people don't think twice about these power shifts when they happen. I do and I dislike it.

It's nothing personal, but I stand by my principles.

Could you stand over there?

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.

I've only seen werewolves on television and have never actually met one in person, but the ones I saw on TV didn't bark; they howled. So shouldn't you be howling? I mean, if you want to bark instead of howl, that's fine with me. If you want to bark and howl, that's okay too. Each werewolf to his or her own.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I've only seen werewolves on television and have never actually met one in person, but the ones I saw on TV didn't bark; they howled. So shouldn't you be howling? I mean, if you want to bark instead of howl, that's fine with me. If you want to bark and howl, that's okay too. Each werewolf to his or her own.
Its not a full moon.

On TV, its always a full moon.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm a werepossum. During the full moon I turn into a possum.

Don't worry, I don't really expect that to impress anybody.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Well, that is impressive, and it's also rather unique.
You're just being generous. I mean really, during the full moon all I do is eat my neighbor's garbage and then hang from a tree by my tail and fall asleep. Kind of boring really.

Probably explains why you don't see too many horror movies about werepossums.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
You're just being generous. I mean really, during the full moon all I do is eat my neighbor's garbage and then hang from a tree by my tail and fall asleep. Kind of boring really.

Probably explains why you don't see too many horror movies about werepossums.
Depends on what the neighbor has in the garbage.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
I'm not sure. I think it has something to do with the werewolves @Ella S. warned us about

If the intention is to have a private area that is invite only per the individual user's discretion, that feature already exists. It's a private message which allows multiple people, 5 at a time, to discuss personal issues.

I'm going to go play video games.

Hopefully when you return, it will be for the purpose of having a more serious discussion about this feature you would like to implement.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
It's no doubt a good idea for some for the anonymity it gives.

Personally that aspect doesn't bother me, I'll say what needs saying and own it.

So for others i vote yes. For me, I'll perhaps read some of the threads but probably wouldn't post.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
My feelings on it:

Someone who has been abused or is in another sensitive situation involving people may not want to be identified. Perhaps they need to talk about what happened/is happening, but refrain from doing so, because they don't want their writing being seen by people who could use it against them out there in the real world.

I'm not sure I really understand the focus on trolls. Those requesting(and receiving) a journaling account would be members in good standing, not newbies logging in for the first time. They'd also be easily identifiable to staff(because they'd have to communicate with staff to set up the journaling account), and if they abused the privilege(by posting unacceptable and rule breaking material), they would likely lose it.

I don't think private messages quite fit the bill here. If I had a something to journal that I wanted anonymous, I really wouldn't give a rat's behind if the entire forum read it. However, I might not want the entire forum commenting on it, specifically those posts that risk turning into a this/that debate. I might only invite people to read/participate that I trust their posting habits. This would likely go over 5 members. Besides, unless I am really close with a person, I'm probably not going to send them random journal tidbits.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Hopefully when you return, it will be for the purpose of having a more serious discussion about this feature you would like to implement
Not with you, I tried that already.

At this point I'm fairly convinced you're raising a lot of nonsensical objections just to get attention for yourself, and I'm not going to buy into it.

Ba-bye.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Someone who has been abused or is in another sensitive situation involving people may not want to be identified. Perhaps they need to talk about what happened/is happening, but refrain from doing so, because they don't want their writing being seen by people who could use it against them out there in the real world.

Unless they have given out their personal information here, it's still anom, even if they post in journals as it stands now.

I'm not sure I really understand the focus on trolls. Those requesting(and receiving) a journaling account would be members in good standing, not newbies logging in for the first time. They'd also be easily identifiable to staff(because they'd have to communicate with staff to set up the journaling account), and if they abused the privilege(by posting unacceptable and rule breaking material), they would likely lose it.

It's not a focus on trolls. It was a valid concern brought up one time and misunderstood. Then attempts to clarify were returned with beligerence, ridicule, then eventually dismissed, followed by more ridicule.

The only reason it may look like a focus on trolls is because of the repeated misunderstanding of what was said. That required repeated attempts to clarify.

I don't think private messages quite fit the bill here. If I had a something to journal that I wanted anonymous, I really wouldn't give a rat's behind if the entire forum read it.

Right. But what is the driving force to post it publicly as opposed to post it privately among friends? What is healing or rewarding about posting it so the whole world can see it, but, the person is still hiding behind double layers of obscurity?

However, I might not want the entire forum commenting on it, specifically those posts that risk turning into a this/that debate. I might only invite people to read/participate that I trust their posting habits. This would likely go over 5 members. Besides, unless I am really close with a person, I'm probably not going to send them random journal tidbits.

Random journal tidbits that are too personal, embarrassing or controversial to post under an already anom-screename?