• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

People who don't celebrate holidays

CatholicVoice

I'm not talking about who don't celebrate certain holidays for religious reasons, I'm talking about people who just don't celebrate holidays. What are your reasons for not celebrating?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I'm not much of a holiday person....except for Halloween.
I like the costume thing.
But I just don't celebrate things, or do rituals.

Thana

Lady
Mmm, well Holidays are for kids and families. I have no kids and I don't live close to family so I don't see any reason to bother.

Plus, I'd just rather do my own thing.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I'm not talking about who don't celebrate certain holidays for religious reasons, I'm talking about people who just don't celebrate holidays. What are your reasons for not celebrating?

Family kind of split a part after my mother's mother passed away. We stoped having a lot of thanksgiving meals with other parts of our family. Now, I remind my intermediate family that there is such a thing. As a result, mostly I work on thanksgiving. I'm the only one in a few that covers other people who wish to take off.

Christmas is similar; and, we just don't have the zeal. Dont know what really happened. Grown up?

I used to celebrate easter when I was a kid. Now, if I can, I would go to the Easter Vigil and congratulate people coming into the Church. Other than that, no reason to.

All the other holidays really hold no significance in my family. Once I learn more about my history, then I may incorporate more holidays related to my cultural background. That's how my older family lived. It's one of many ways to understand their experience without actually going through it, thank heavens.

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
I'm not sure. It was just this year, when I couldn't care less about Halloween, that I realized I just don't care. I can make any day special, and special to me isn't being enslaved to traditions and dealing with people. I like to do nothing as much today as on a holiday, I probably have the same responsibilities and such as well. Commercial holidays just seem like a waste of time, and something I find to bit of existential filler. I'll choose what days matter to me.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
I don't celebrate any Christian holidays or any other religions. Mostly, I celebrate Turkey day and New Years/Eve. I loosely track Solstices and Equinoxes for magical purposes. Samhain and Beltane Eve are just for fun. :)

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls

I rejoice in bah-humbuggery and not being a slave to convention. :p

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Holiday celebrations are things which typically just happen because of people around me.
I'm usually surprised to find that a particular holiday has arrived.
But I make a point (sometimes forgetting) to note 2 of them here......
- Towel Day is May 25
- International Blasphemy Day is Sep 30.

Pastek

Sunni muslim
I don't celebrate but for Christmans i always buy a yule log.
When i was younger my father used to bring chocolates or gifts from the company he worked for.
For Easter i sometimes buy chocolates.
For Epiphany i always buy a King cake.
Not a big fan of Halloween.

It's not celebrating something though but i participate economically especially concerning food :)

Jumi

Don't see any reason to celebrate. Only holidays I celebrate are yule and new years.

Timothy Bryce

I only really value the no work/all party aspect of holidays.

I love the easter break as opposed to the Christmas break; easter break always seems to be rather chilled and spent with friends; Christmas always seems to bring out the worst in me and contrived family company only amplifies the stress. Christmas imagery brings out so many bad memories due to disastrous Christmases involving family.

NYE celebrations are the only thing that even slightly resemble any form of "celebration" of a holiday that seem to resonate with my deeper beliefs as the Christian angles on the holidays are completely struck out for me. I love the idea of celebrating change and turning over new leaves; psychologically, each year seems to have its own character and narrative that I always seem to notice, so NYE always seems to take on a more sentimental quality for me.

Plus, the end of year break is always around two weeks with the office "officially" opening back up around the 6th or 7th of January. So that's pretty cool and has, in the past, been a valid ground for sustaining the NYE celebrations several days into the new year.

Last edited: