• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Paying college football players $millions

We Never Know

No Slack
What are your thoughts?

I don't like it. I'm sure paying some secretly happens but to openly pay them $millions, I will quit watching it.
They get free housing and education which is their pay/reward for being a good player. Plus they play harder to try to get the attention of the NFL.

One coach in Arkansas said "if we pay a good player a $million dollars a season to come here we need to or he will go to another school".

Reminds me of a line from the movie Blue Chips,,, "we have the best players money can buy"

How much college athletes could be earning: study

College football stars could be earning as much as $2.4 million per year, based on NCAA revenues: study

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
What are your thoughts?

I don't like it. I'm sure paying some secretly happens but to openly pay them $millions, I will quit watching it.
They get free housing and education which is their pay/reward for being a good player. Plus they play harder to try to get the attention of the NFL.

One coach in Arkansas said "if we pay a good player a $million dollars a season to come here we need to or he will go to another school".

Reminds me of a line from the movie Blue Chips,,, "we have the best players money can buy"

College football stars could be earning as much as $2.4 million per year, based on NCAA revenues: study
I don't know of any college student making that much. It's why your in college.

That said, it can open up a can of whole new worms if college student level fieldwork, sports or not, can be regarded as employment.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
What are your thoughts?

I remember that movie Blue Chips. I thought it was okay. It had its moments.

I suppose college athletes could be earning millions, but how did it come to be that the nation's colleges become the de facto "farm system" for the NFL and NBA? Baseball and hockey have a coherent farm system and active leagues where players are paid for their services. Football and basketball have minor leagues, so why can't they use that?

I recall at my college, there were some classes that the student athletes would flock to - because they were known to be easy classes.

Is there any benefit to education by having big money sports programs? They do generate a good deal of income for a college, and they have to get the money from somewhere. There are also those who may not be good enough to play in the pros, but still may be good enough to get a scholarship at a smaller school and still get a decent education in the process.

Another possibility is that, instead of having sports teams directly administered by universities, they can be set up as "private sports clubs" which would not be connected to any institution of higher learning. That way, they can still accomplish the same task of making money and giving the public the athletic spectacle they crave, while doing away with any pretense that these are "amateur athletes just getting an education."

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
College sports should be eliminated as a money making enterprise for the colleges. They distort the educational process and take advantage of students who often don't have the prerequisites to actually go to the college they are at. The end result for most of the athletes is huge debt and no degree.

What are your thoughts?

Why not let the market decide what they are worth as is the American way?

If you were from a poor family, and had a talent for a legal activity that should pay you millions of dollars a year, but you are banned by law from actually getting paid for it how would you feel knowing your family can't feed itself, you can't move them to a safe neighbourhood, etc?

Then you get injured after 3 years and chucked on the scrap heap having missed out on the millions you were due and your family remains in poverty.

On top of that, if super rich coaches and administrators were getting millions of extra dollars because they don't have to pay you, then how would you feel? Why should they get paid but not the athletes? Just give them a room and enrol them in a course if that is sufficient remuneration.

"Other people should work for free, but not us of course. We deserve millions!"

It is basically a 3 year unpaid internship that has a high likelihood of getting you a debilitating injury.

We Never Know

No Slack
Why not let the market decide what they are worth as is the American way?

If you were from a poor family, and had a talent for a legal activity that should pay you millions of dollars a year, but you are banned by law from actually getting paid for it how would you feel knowing your family can't feed itself, you can't move them to a safe neighbourhood, etc?

Then you get injured after 3 years and chucked on the scrap heap having missed out on the millions you were due and your family remains in poverty.

On top of that, if super rich coaches and administrators were getting millions of extra dollars because they don't have to pay you, then how would you feel? Why should they get paid but not the athletes? Just give them a room and enrol them in a course if that is sufficient remuneration.

"Other people should work for free, but not us of course. We deserve millions!"

It is basically a 3 year unpaid internship that has a high likelihood of getting you a debilitating injury.

What's next? High schools buying a house for a family who's son is a good quarterback so that the family will move there and their son will play for that high school?

We Never Know

No Slack
College sports should be eliminated as a money making enterprise for the colleges. They distort the educational process and take advantage of students who often don't have the prerequisites to actually go to the college they are at. The end result for most of the athletes is huge debt and no degree.
According to the link I posted it brings in around $14 billion annually.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I don't think pay is appropriate, especially since many have scholarships, but I do believe that colleges/universities should have to pay all medical expenses for injuries, possibly for the rest of a former players life, if they sustain these injuries as an athlete there.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
What's next? High schools buying a house for a family who's son is a good quarterback so that the family will move there and their son will play for that high school?

"Wow, does he really live here? I thought he just flew in for games."

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
We live in a culture where people's worth is measured by the amount they earn. Not paying college athletes a decent wage sends the message that they are not worth much.

Don't like that? I don't either but that's today's culture.

What's next, paying adults for 3 years of full time work in a multi billion dollar industry that pays multi million dollar salaries to other people?

If you were an elite QB from a poor family, how would you feel about watching your family suffer while you were literally banned from earning any income whatsoever while multiple people earn millions because you work for free?

Twilight Hue

We live in a culture where people's worth is measured by the amount they earn. Not paying college athletes a decent wage sends the message that they are not worth much.

Don't like that? I don't either but that's today's culture.
It's not a job.

Twilight Hue

Not a job? Professional athlete must be one of the oldest jobs around.

It has existed for thousands of years going back to at least ancient Greece and Rome (and I very much doubt these were the first)
College is for being scouted out. The pros are the real job. This is still school.

College is for being scouted out. The pros are the real job. This is still school.

Why is working for 3 years in a multi-billion dollar industry in which other people earn millions 'not a real job'? Why is a coach or administrator a 'real job'?

It is the only pro sport in the world that it is possible to force elite 20 year old men to work for free while other make money off their backs.

Only because no one else plays the sport professionally is such an unjust system possible.

If you were an elite QB from a poor family, how would you feel about watching your family suffer while you were literally banned from earning any income whatsoever while multiple people earn millions because you work for free?

Twilight Hue

Why is working for 3 years in a multi-billion dollar industry in which other people earn millions 'not a real job'? Why is a coach or administrator a 'real job'?

It is the only pro sport in the world that it is possible to force elite 20 year old men to work for free while other make money off their backs.

Only because no one else plays the sport professionally is such an unjust system possible.

I would be hopeful to be scouted and offered a contract with the pros.

It dosent mean I'm part of the college faculty.

Of course it made me think k....

Maybe that high school play was in? I should be a paid performer on stage.

I would be hopeful to be scouted and offered a contract with the pros.

BS.

You would wish you could earn the money you deserved so you could help your loved ones.

You are good at giving away other people's money though ;)

Maybe that high school play was in? I should be a paid performer on stage.

Why don't people understand the difference between adult and child?

Also, did your high school play director earn 10 million dollars for your play and your school head earn millions for selling the TV rights?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
What are your thoughts?

IMO, the way American schools put so much emphasis on sports is ridiculous.

That being said, if the NCAA and its schools are making huge amounts of money off these players, the players deserve a cut. They're playing for a spot in the NFL, but many of them get injured in college and never have that chance.

Maybe it doesn't need to be paid out as a straight salary; maybe some or most of it could go into a post-college support fund for players, but the current arrangement is lopsided and unfair, IMO.

Twilight Hue

BS.

You would wish you could earn the money you deserved so you could help your loved ones.

You are good at giving away other people's money though ;)

Why don't people understand the difference between adult and child?

Also, did your high school play director earn 10 million dollars for your play and your school head earn millions for selling the TV rights?

I would be a student. It's not a job. Let's be realistic here. It's just the way things run.

If I played C football that's exactly how I would be. I would hope to be scouted and offered a contract with the pros. Hopefully 1st line. That's why players play in college first.

And btw, a play director is a paid employee. A student is not.